collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
SENTENCE BLIND MUSICIAN FOR ASSAULT - Columbia, S. C., July 17. - (A. N. P.): Simmie Dooley, blind musician, has been sentenced to serve two months in the State penitentiary having been found guilty of a charge of assault and battery. Dooley's chief instrument is a guitar which he plays so well that while being brought to jail he earned nearly ten dollars from people along the way - Norfolk Journal and Guide, July 19, 1924

Author Topic: Lightnin' Hopkins CDs  (Read 1318 times)

Offline whigski3

• Hi!
Lightnin' Hopkins CDs
« on: April 24, 2011, 08:22:26 PM »
The two Lightnin' Hopkins (LH) albums I own don't get played as much as they should because of their format (cassette).  They are volumes 1 and 2 of "The Gold Star Sessions"published by Arhoolie.  When I first started collecting blues music, my experience was that almost everything published by Arhoolie was "at least very good", and these of course did not disappoint.  [Edit: Actually I was thinking that about "Yazoo", but clearly Arhoolie has great stuff too!]

I just looked at Amazon.com, and there were 188 LH CDs!  After listening to samples from a few, another that got my attenion was "The Complete Alladin Recordings".  Most of the pre-war blues I like is solo (Weenie herself once told me to play "so low she couldn't hear it!"  ;))  I think I am more of the "Texas blues" rather than Chicago blues sort (maybe that's why I have a username at WeenieCampbell, ha!), but I think LH transcends what I regard as Texas blues. I have expanded my horizons to include such things as "old time fiddle", but I digress...

Can anyone offer any further information that may help me distinguish the "Gold Star" recordings from the "Alladin" recordings or offer any other LH listening suggestions?  

Thank you,
Bill
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 10:15:43 PM by whigski3 »
I'm sitting here wondering, will a matchbox hold my clothes...

Offline eric

Re: Lightnin' Hopkins CDs
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 09:33:22 PM »
"Texas Bluesman," "Early Recordings" and the Gold Star stuff on Arhoolie are prime Lightning.  I have these on vinyl, but they are available on CD with even more tunes.  Texas Bluesman was one of the records that started me down the crooked path of blues guitar playing.  Great, great stuff.
--
Eric

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 10:43:44 PM »
FWIW there was a 5 CD JSP box set (7705) covering the years 1946-1951 in chronological order (Gold Star, Aladdin/Imperial, RPM/Modern, SIW, Mercury, Decca etc). It originally sold at a budget price (15GBP). Each CD has booklet notes and full track list/recording information.

The Hopkins biography contains a complete session discography, maybe you can sneak a look at that in a bookstore.  ;)

Offline unezrider

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 11:30:39 PM »
hello friend,
the 'gold star' & 'aladdin' are from the same time period, so they have a very similar vibe. also, they are both essential lightnin' material! there's also a disc on ace records called 'jake head boogie' (that would be the rpm/modern stuff) also same era, & top notch. the 'herald' stuff is good, too.
for my money, there is just something really special about those early lightnin' performances, when he was still recording for the african american record buying public, that the late 60's 'rediscovered' stuff doesn't capture. (how's that for a run-on ;))
i haven't heard it, but bang for the buck wise, that jsp collection bunker mentioned could be the way to go.
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 11:38:29 PM »
The Alladin recordings are wonderful and pre-date the Gold Stars, essential. As a collection I feel the overall quality is better than the GS's, but that some of the individual tracks on the latter surpass anything he recorded before or after.

Offline jaycee

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 12:29:54 AM »
i own a fair few lightnin' hopkins cds i personally like the self titled one he did for smithsonian folkways what an iconic sleeve! recorded in 1959 for me its an essential cd, and should be in the collection of every blues fan.i also love the 7cd set, the complete prestige/bluesville recordings. though i am not sure if the set is still in print. thats my couple of recommendations anyway.
jaycee

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 12:57:22 AM »
i own a fair few lightnin' hopkins cds i personally like the self titled one he did for smithsonian folkways what an iconic sleeve! recorded in 1959 for me its an essential cd, and should be in the collection of every blues fan.
This was a discussion topic in November 2006, see http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=60&topic=2768.0

Offline misterjones

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 07:43:28 AM »
The above is consistent with what I've heard - namely, some prefer the Gold Star and some prefer the Aladdin.  I have the Aladdin because it was inexpensive and I figured early Lightnin' was early Lightnin'.

I listened to an anthology from the library and came away with an interest in his Herald recordings, as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005B1FN/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00004UEIY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=06HRM5RM3B4GGRK4HR9H

Offline whigski3

• Hi!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies regarding LH's CDs.  I may scout around for one of the box sets, and I will look at some of the other offerings mentioned. As you probably know, some of them (for instance "essential"), are no longer available from the publisher.

BLJ, CP, LH, SJ, RGD, etc, etc, etc.--any of them could get a person started down the path to where WeenieCampbell lives. Evidentally, one needen't be a copy-cat to be successful in the blues! : )

Thanks,
BillH
I'm sitting here wondering, will a matchbox hold my clothes...

Offline misterjones

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 06:01:35 PM »
Other than "The Lost Texas Tapes" (a/k/a "Lightning Strikes Twice"), anyone know of instances where Hopkins has performed (preferably in a studio setting) accompanied only by his electric guitar?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal