collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It was music which had been brought up from the Mississippi delta by migrating post World War II Negroes and hardened and toughened and electrified and amplified to suit the dance halls and mean streets of Chicago, and it thrilled me to the very depths of my soul. To a dissolute white kid from the mean streets of a concrete housing estate, this music seemed tailored to echo the way that I felt - Fred McCormick on discovering The Best of Muddy Waters (on Pye International), in a world of Cliff Richard and Helen Shapiro

Author Topic: 2012 Tefteller Blues Images Calendar  (Read 3544 times)

Offline CF

2012 Tefteller Blues Images Calendar
« on: August 05, 2011, 08:08:23 AM »
Here's the graphic for the upcoming 2012 Tefteller Blues Images Calendar. Fairly surprised Clapton is being used as a selling point.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0056NYDHW/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline misterjones

Re: 2012 Tefteller Blues Images Calendar
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 09:04:33 AM »
If it piques the interest of those who otherwise would't be interested in pre-war blues, prehaps it's a good thing.  Popular movies got me interested in classical music, and Bob Dylan was the spark that led to my interest in pre-war blues.  Start with what's accessible and work from there.

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 09:29:23 AM »
no photo of him luckily ;)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 10:04:30 AM »
The tracklist for the calendar:

January to December artwork
(1) Mama Don?t Allow No Easy Riders Here ? Tampa Red and Georgia Tom (version 1)/Tampa Red and His Hokum Jug Band with vocals by Frankie ?Half-Pint? Jaxon (version 2)
(2) Big Chief Blues ? Furry Lewis
(3) Jinx Blues ? Ora Brown
(4) Jesus Is A Dying Bed Maker ? Charley Patton
(5) Rope Stretchin? Blues ? Parts I & II ? Blind Blake
(6) Fence Breakin? Yellin? Blues ? Blind Lemon Jefferson
(7) Fogyism ? Ida Cox
(8 ) Come On In (Ain?t Nobody Here) ? Harum Scarum
(9) Evil Woman Spell ? Charley Spand
(10) Lawdy Lawdy Worried Blues ? Teddy Darby
(11) Papa, Don?t Tear Your Pants ? Papa Charlie Jackson
(12) In That Pearly White City Above ? Blind Joel Taggart

Bonus tracks (artwork doesn't exist for these songs)
(13) Precious Lord ? Blind Joel Taggart
(14) Little Black Train ? Blind Joel Taggart
(15) Hard Time Blues ? Lane Hardin
(16) California Desert Blues ? Lane Hardin
(17) Cartey Blues ? Lane Hardin
(18) Mr. Postman Blues ? Jenny Pope
(19) Rent Man Blues ? Jenny Pope

I see that Lane Hardin's Cartey Blues is listed. Haven't heard that one.

Offline CF

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:33:07 AM »
I have no problem with Clapton being referenced, I hope Tefteller sells a million of the things, just didn't see it coming.
Yeah a new Lane Hardin track is a selling point for me, based on how great his two 1935 tracks are.
The last two Blind Joel Taggart tracks are recent discoveries I think [checking against 4th edition B&GR (Dixon & Godrich] & there's info about their discovery & more over at the Pre-War Blues thread at the Blindman Blues Forums.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:58:44 AM »
The last two Blind Joel Taggart tracks are recent discoveries I think [checking against 4th edition B&GR (Dixon & Godrich] & there's info about their discovery & more over at the Pre-War Blues thread at the Blindman Blues Forums.

There's a big article about Taggart in the 2nd Annual Frog thing, and Precious Lord is on the CD that comes with that, too (although the calendar will be a lot cheaper!). I believe it's a post-war recording.

Offline LD50

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 03:50:52 PM »

There's a big article about Taggart in the 2nd Annual Frog thing, and Precious Lord is on the CD that comes with that, too (although the calendar will be a lot cheaper!). I believe it's a post-war recording.

Yeah, it's a vanity test pressing from the late '40s, found in a junk store on Maxwell Street several years ago, I think. Sadly, it's very beaten up, judging from the track on the Frog CD.

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 07:34:34 PM »
Just got my calendar the other day. First off the Lane Hardin track is a killer, cut circa 1948. It was Steve LaVere who found it in Los Angeles some years back. BTW Hardin is featured in the newest Blues & Rhythm magazine - issue #261. The Taggart tracks are from the same year. They're acetates that were discovered in the Maxwell Street Market and subsequently put up on ebay where Tefteller purchased it. Apparently the record was pretty battered but Richard Nevins has done a fine remastering job. As usual the graphics are superb.

I'll be interviewing Tefteller for my Sept. 11th show and playing tracks from the CD. I'll make sure to post a link to the interview in the forum.

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 07:15:59 PM »
I'll be interviewing Tefteller for my Sept. 11th show and playing tracks from the CD. I'll make sure to post a link to the interview in the forum.

Interviewed Tefteller today and played the newly discovered Lane Hardin and Joe Taggart sides. Here's the links:

Full Show: http://sundayblues.org/feeds/brb_9.11.mp3

The Tefteller segment can be found at the bottom of the show notes -> http://sundayblues.org

Offline jostber

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 08:05:19 AM »

Interviewed Tefteller today and played the newly discovered Lane Hardin and Joe Taggart sides. Here's the links:

Full Show: http://sundayblues.org/feeds/brb_9.11.mp3

The Tefteller segment can be found at the bottom of the show notes -> http://sundayblues.org

Great stuff! Thanks for the interview and link.

Offline CF

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 09:14:55 AM »
I always look forward to your conversations with Mr. Tefteller Jeff, another wonderful show . . . & the new tracks are great, strong performances across the board. How lucky are we pre-war blues fans in the 21st century?

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 10:29:01 AM »
I enjoyed hearing the Taggart sides and was surprised to see how affable Tefteller was.

This was the first time I'd listened to the show... I've been on the sundayblues website but I can't figure out where to listen to the previous editions (if they're archived) can someone help out
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 11:07:44 AM »
Great show, Jeff. Both the Lane Hardin and Blind Joe Taggart tunes are very exciting to hear. Not just some blues leftovers, they're all strong performances. Can't wait to pick up my copy of the calendar.

JohnLee, you were expecting Montgomery Burns?  ;D

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 12:03:16 PM »
This was the first time I'd listened to the show... I've been on the sundayblues website but I can't figure out where to listen to the previous editions (if they're archived) can someone help out

Unfortunately due to station policy I can't really advertise the podcast. Here's how to listen other then listening live: just cut & past this url - http://sundayblues.org/brb-feed.xml into your podcast client (itunes: Advanced > Subscribe to Podcast). The shows can also be downloaded by visiting: http://sundayblues.org/feeds/. There are dozens of past shows available.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 01:58:39 PM »
Thank you very much, jharris!

Cheers

Pan

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal