collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Oh the blues ain't nothin' but a slow achin' heart disease. Just like consumption, it kills you by degrees - Georgia White, Blues Ain't Nothin'

Author Topic: In the 'orbit' of the Mississippi Sheiks - lyrics  (Read 3087 times)

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: In the 'orbit' of the Mississippi Sheiks - lyrics
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2020, 10:54:24 AM »
Hi all,
I just put "Near The End", recorded by Walter Vinson as "Sam Hill from Louisville" in Weeniepedia.  Vinson accompanied himself out of dropped-D tuning for the song and was joined by Charlie McCoy on mandolin.  If you've not heard it, you can listen to it about five posts back in this thread.  Walter Vinson was such a strong singer, and the song has a great set of lyrics.  The video in the thread is truncated, but it is the only one of the song on youtube.
All best,
Johnm

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 11:30:53 AM »
On a historical note...

You Got To Keep Things Clean contains the following two verses:

She wanted me to stay with her in her home
   I went to her house, then I met Armstrong
   You have to keep things clean, you have to keep things clean
   Now if you want to be respectful, baby, you have to keep things clean

Armstrong travels each and everywhere
   Go to your house then you will find him there
   You don't keep things clean, you don't keep things clean
   Now if you want to be respectful, baby, you'll have to keep things clean

Banjo Chris suggested "Armstrong a reference to Arm and Hammer perhaps?"

I think the lines reference Armstrong linoleum flooring.  Armstrong, initially a manufacturer of corks, started manufacturing and selling linoleum flooring in 1909.  Before World War II, Armstrong was probably the largest manufacturer of linoleum flooring in the United States, and linoleum was a common flooring; you'd find it "each and everywhere", including your own house.   

Why was a cork manufacturer making linoleum?  It turns out that linoleum is a mixture of fillers, such as wood dust, mineral dust, and cork dust set into solidified linseed oil and resin and affixed to a canvas backing.  So it was a good way to use up the scraps left over from making corks.

Sorry for the digression, I just wondered who Armstrong might be and found the answer interesting.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 02:11:16 PM »

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 02:18:23 PM »
Thanks for that info, dj.  That has to be one of the most arcane product placements in blues lyrics, right up there with "Try Me" in Sonny Scott's "Try Me Man Blues" and Jubilee in Skip James' "Drunken Spree".  Who'd've thunk it?
All best,
Johnm

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 03:04:03 PM »
On a historical note...

You Got To Keep Things Clean contains the following two verses:

She wanted me to stay with her in her home
   I went to her house, then I met Armstrong
   You have to keep things clean, you have to keep things clean
   Now if you want to be respectful, baby, you have to keep things clean

Armstrong travels each and everywhere
   Go to your house then you will find him there
   You don't keep things clean, you don't keep things clean
   Now if you want to be respectful, baby, you'll have to keep things clean

Banjo Chris suggested "Armstrong a reference to Arm and Hammer perhaps?"

I think the lines reference Armstrong linoleum flooring.  Armstrong, initially a manufacturer of corks, started manufacturing and selling linoleum flooring in 1909.  Before World War II, Armstrong was probably the largest manufacturer of linoleum flooring in the United States, and linoleum was a common flooring; you'd find it "each and everywhere", including your own house.   

Why was a cork manufacturer making linoleum?  It turns out that linoleum is a mixture of fillers, such as wood dust, mineral dust, and cork dust set into solidified linseed oil and resin and affixed to a canvas backing.  So it was a good way to use up the scraps left over from making corks.

Sorry for the digression, I just wondered who Armstrong might be and found the answer interesting.

That's great, dj! Thanks for that!
Chris

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal