collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
This guy wanted to marry me. He said "It's me or the horn." I said, "Well, it ain't you, babe" - Martye Awkerman, trumpet, quoted in Swing Shift, "All-Girl" Bands of the 1940s by Sherrie Tucker

Author Topic: I'm alive barely  (Read 764 times)

Offline swampman

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
I'm alive barely
« on: September 02, 2018, 10:52:02 AM »
It has been quite a while since I attended Port Townsend. Many things have happened since then. I retired, start playing music full time, started recording in my studio and one of the projects I  produced was nominated for a Grammy. My alcoholic wife of 20 years tried to kill me with a sword when I asked her for a divorce. We are now divorced and we'll have the equity distribution hearing first week in October. On top of that, a year-and-a-half ago they discovered I had stage 4 adenocarcinoma and they gave me a few weeks to a month to live. I fought it with a whole bunch of stuff and was in remission for most of the year and that it came back with a vengeance. 6 weeks ago they're ready to put me in payments in house hospice care and gave me a few weeks live.

My oncologist was able to get me a new drug that targeted the BRAF genetic mutation in my cancer cells. I have been on the drugs now for 5 weeks and it is curing my cancer. So what does this have to do with Port Townsend country Blues Workshop. Well the house will be sold in this spring and I am buying a camper and traveling until I can't anymore. I intend to attend this summer. I figure I have a few years before it comes back or global warming kills us all. Until then, I'm going to enjoy every moment of my life and look forward to seeing you guys next year if I'm alive. If I am totally cured of cancer. And it looks like that might happen, I am seriously contemplating moving to Sequin Washington in a couple of years so I can fish, crab, play music, set up my home studio and have fun. I'm 73 years old and my mother lived to 97, so if I beat the cancer I've got another 15 to 20 years ahead of me.

Wish me luck.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: I'm alive barely
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 01:14:20 PM »
Hey, Gene, I wish you all the luck you need. I remember you well from PT and have not been for many years myself. I have become a medical social worker for my remaining working years (only 3 more, I hope) and have done hospice work, so have some idea of the trauma you must be going through. Fortunately amazing strides are being made in cancer research. If your travels bring you to the SF Bay Area let me know.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline swampman

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 02:13:20 PM »
SF is in the plans.  We will get together and make beautiful music

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 02:24:42 PM »
Hey Swampy:

As a fellow cancer surviver, keep it up. I remember you well from the my earliest PT days, and your J-200.

If you do decide to go to PT next year, let me know. I might join you.

And no worries about global warming.

Alex

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 11:11:58 AM »
Great to hear you?re looking up and looking ahead. That?s quite a time you?ve had, and I wish you all the very best with your plans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal