collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I didn't write no 'Candy Man'. That song was *revealed* to me" - Reverend Gary Davis, according to Book Binder

Author Topic: New David Bromberg CD - Try Me One More Time  (Read 3232 times)

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
New David Bromberg CD - Try Me One More Time
« on: March 26, 2007, 10:10:58 AM »
Howdy:

Noticed this in my local CD shoppe and decided to pick it up. The dealer said it was selling very well, and he had to reorder it.

16 tracks, all solitary fingerpicked acoustic guitar (a great(!) sounding Martin M-42) except for two tunes done acapella.

Here's the track list with some notes:

1) Try Me One More Time
The Marshall Owens tune. Same tuning (Spanish at G), same melody, same chorus as the original. entirely different first half of verses (better than original IMHO), played in slide style, though lots of fretted notes in G sections. Very good.

2) Kind Hearted Woman
The Robert Johnson tune. Maybe the best non-RJ version I've heard. Close enough to the original guitar part to be recognizable. Adds one of his own verses (really good) and rearranges the verse order, strangely enough putting the bridge verse at the very end.

3) Big Road Blues
Tommy Johnson. I think he plays this out of E, standard tuning!. the vocal is a bit over the top, but still sounds fine. Sort of a different take on this.

4) It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry
Bob Dylan. Very bluesy version. Great single string break. I like this a lot.

5) Buckdancers Choice
Liner notes say this is patterned after the McGee bros. version. An instrumental. Very nice picking.

6) I Belong to the Band
Rev. Gary of course.
Not one of the album's best tunes. I don't think his voice suits gospel material, but the guitar part is OK.

7) Moonshiner
Done acapella. Not to my taste.

8) Shake Sugaree
Elizabeth Cotton's tune. Very sensitively played and sung. Suits the sound of the M-42 very well. A highlight for me.

9) Hey Bub
I'm more familiar with this as "Mule Riding' Blues" by Big Bill. He does this as an instrumental, as he states he has forgotten the words and can't find the original recording. This is in  Broonzy's "Willie Mae" group of tunes. Bromberg's instrumental version works well.

10) Love Changing Blues
This is the Willie Mc Tell tune. I'm not familiar with the original, but it sounds like "Mama, 'T ain't Long 'Fore Day". Bromberg is great on the slide in this one. Sends chills up my spine. Very well done (not on a 12, which is OK with me).

11) When First Unto This Country
He says he learned this from the New Lost City Ramblers. A folk tune.

12) Levee Camp Moan
The Texas Alexander-Lonnie Johnson tune. A very slow blues. He doesn't have a T. Alexander voice, but who does. Nice interplay between voice and guitar, accompaniment mostly single string work.

13) Trying to Get Home
Another Rev. Gary tune. I like this better than "I Belong..."
At one point in this tune he pushes his voice harder and it works better. Nice guitar part.

14) East Virginia
Another folk tune, he learned from Paula Bimbaum. His voice shows obvious affection for this song.

15) Winin' Boy
This is the only tune that, when I listening to the CD the first time, I repeated. Neat 16 bar structure. Learned off an old Blues Project album. He really gives this a New Orleans flavour, to my ear. Another highlight of the CD.

16) Lonesome Roving Wolves
An acapella folk tune. Hmm.

I like this CD a lot. Bromberg is obviously playing tunes he learned very early in his career and has affection for. The guitar parts are uniformly great. David's voice works better for some tunes and styles than others, but his voice is all there.

Voice and guitar. Very effective. And interesting takes on some old blues tunes. Get this one.

Alex

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:54:54 AM by GhostRider »

davispicker

Re: New David Bromberg CD - Try Me One More Time
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 01:12:35 PM »
Thanks for this review, Alex.  Excellently done! I had listened to a couple of tunes online and will now buy this cd.  Interesting to compare this release with Jorma Kaukonen's new cd and Ry Cooder's as well.  I appreciate Bromberg choosing to record his favorite tunes with just his guitar.

Cheers,

Brian

www.myspace.com/davispicker

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 02:12:43 PM »
Thanks for this review, Alex. 
Brian:

Glad you got something out of it. I'm looking forward to your take on this CD, let us know what you think.

Nobody ever agrees with me...... (ex. for Unkie Bud).

Alex

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 08:12:37 PM »
Yes this has been getting great reviews. I saw David about 6 months ago and he was getting back into it, not quite the Dave of old but I thought the main problem was nerves and trying too hard. I will pick up the CD for sure.

Ry Cooder, well what can I say, I've got everything RPC ever put out. It's also selling hand over fist.

Didn't know Jorma had a new one, my the things one learns on the weenie site. Thanks guys.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 08:45:42 PM »
I picked it up and was pleasantly surprised. As Alex hints at, it is probably the case that not everything is going to be to everybody's liking, but it is certainly a solid album overall by an accomplished musician.

Offline Doug

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 11:23:32 PM »
And, just in case somebody on here doesn't read the Woodshed, the Woodsongs Old Time Radio Show recently featured David Bromberg and Jorma Kaukonen...  The video is now up on their website, the sound-only versions of the show usually follow a bit later...

http://www.woodsongs.com/showlist.asp

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 10:11:08 AM »
Mark:
We share a common afflication as rabid Ryland fans, and I gotta say that his saga of "Buddy" (the 'red' cat) and "Lefty" the mouse is compelling and timely. His clever use of fragments from various old time and PD tunes makes almost everything sound "familar." Not country blues, but a brilliant album; IMHO, other than his instrumental collaboration with with VMB on Water Lilly Acoustics, this is his best outing in more than a decade.

As for Jorma, "Stars In My Crown" is a good album, but doesn't rise to the high standard set a few years back by "Blue Country Heart." If you liked Jorma's "Whinin' Boy Blues," I suggest you track down a copy of "We'll Meet Again" by Scarlett, Washington & Whiteley on Borealis. Ken Whiteley does a great version there.

Alex:
Thanks for the heads-up and comments on the Bromberg album. Sounds like one I need to add to my collection.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 10:12:50 AM by FrontPage »
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 05:49:47 PM »
Yes Bill I agree My Name Is Buddy is a very, very good record, and it all seems so effortless. Ry's pretty active at present, I see he also plays on and produces Mavis Staples' new record (along with Jim Keltner) which will doubtless end up in my collection.

Still haven't checked out Bromberg and Jorma.

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 09:53:33 AM »
I am also a big Ry Cooder fan, and if you guys have not seen this it is very cool...

http://www.rycooder.nl/pages/ry_cooder_Instruments_gear_amps_effects.htm

I hope you enjoy, and remember Mike Seeger is on 'Buddy'

RJ

Tags: David Bromberg 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal