collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
At my age, the hard part is getting to the gig. The playing is easy - 102-year-old Fred Staton, still getting paid gigs playing tenor sax

Author Topic: St. Louis Jimmy lyrics  (Read 796 times)

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: St. Louis Jimmy lyrics
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2023, 06:24:32 AM »
The singer has been going down slow but realizes he's approaching the end. His clothes are the sole item of his estate with value, and he would like to make them available to his family, both for re-use and because they may have some sentimental value for them. They are not notably expensive to ship and he still has enough energy to take care of that before his demise. They are his final bequest to them. By saying "look for my clothes home" he's saying, "You should be expecting a delivery from me, and this is what it will be. And you may take receipt of the clothes as an indication that I have succumbed to my illness at last."

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2023, 10:37:44 AM »
Hi Chezz: I agree that this isn't a case of solely discussing personal interpretation, but trying to figure out what Jimmy Oden specifically had in mind when he sang "clothes home." I listened to the 1947 Bullet version and he sings, "clothes home," which is evidence that he didn't leave out [going] in his earlier recording.

Railway Express used to be one way (if not the major way) things were shipped or sent, so looking for one's clothes being shipped by rail and/or coming in on a train makes sense. But like you, I have never heard or read "clothes home" before, so I'm guessing by context. I'm still leaving open the possibility that it's slang or an idiosyncratic usage (unknown to me), perhaps meaning suitcase or trunk. But I honestly don't know. John's take on the meaning is certainly appealing and one I wouldn't discount. But as for myself, I can't say for sure, given the unusual usage of "clothes home" (or maybe, "clothes' home"). Thank you for your patience.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2023, 11:57:05 AM »
 I agree that “going down slow“ likely indicates a long period of denial before the realization that death is near.

I think it’s important to look at the other line in the verse “if you don’t see my body, all you can do is moan“ to get the full context of the meaning. I think that he is indicating, in a very roundabout way, that he will catch the next train south with the foreboding that he will not survive the train trip. If someone dies on a train, the body will be put off the train at the very next stop. But his suitcase will be checked through and reach home.  I think it is the image of the suitcase arriving without the passenger that he is trying to create. The yearning to be home, but the fear that he will not make it.

Wax
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 10:24:55 AM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2023, 12:42:59 PM »
I like this explanation the best, Wax. 

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2023, 12:58:45 PM »
Sounds good to me, Wax. I agree that the image of his clothes arriving home by train without him is spot on. I've been focusing Steve's initial question, something I think I'll never have an answer to.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal