collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It ain't none of my business but it don't seem right. Take another man's woman and play yo yo, play yo yo all night - Barbecue Bob Hicks, Yo Yo Blues

Author Topic: Fred McDowell/Johnny Woods--Mama Says I'm Crazy, Fat Possum 80364-2  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
PROGRAM:? Shake 'Em On Down; Goin' Away; Mama Says I'm Crazy; I Got A Woman; Red Cross Store; Going Down To the River; Standing At The Back Door; What's Going to Become Of Me; Long Haired Doney; John Henry; I Walked All Night Long

I recently got ahold of this pretty new (I think) release, which like the recent Joe Callicott and R.L. Burnside releases, was recorded by George Mitchell. ?I have never been a huge Fred McDowell fan, but the powerful groove that he and Johnny Woods work up to on several of the numbers is really exciting. ?Johnny Woods is kind of an ear opener, too. ?He plays almost no single note runs, working almost exclusively chordally, and pretty much just plays time. ?I have not heard very many Blues harmonica players adopt that approach, and it sure works well for the music on this CD.
John
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 04:40:59 PM by Johnm »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re:Fred McDowell/Johnny Woods on Fat Possum
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 03:09:36 PM »
"Mississippi Delta Blues Jam in Memphis Vol 1" (whew) compilation has three McDowell/Woods tunes and I agree it is exciting stuff - they play well together.  ..may have to pick up this CD as well.  

Offline Michael Cardenas

• traditional Blues singer & slide guitarist
    • Myspace
Re: Fred McDowell/Johnny Woods--Mama Says I'm Crazy, Fat Possum 80364-2
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 04:05:39 PM »
The album is fantastic and I would like to learn Johnny Woods' harmonica part on "Standing At The Back Door". From what I can tell Fred is in E♭, but should I assume Johnny is using an E♭ harmonica? If there are any harp-heads reading this I sure would like to know what key Johnny's harp is in.
LISTEN TO BLUES MUSIC

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:00:12 PM »
Hello Michael,
To sound in E flat, Johnny Woods would be playing an A flat harp, cross-style, but it was probably more likely an old A harp, well broken in.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Michael Cardenas

• traditional Blues singer & slide guitarist
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 07:08:18 AM »
This is what I figured the harmonica is at the 4th, when Fred goes to the single note A♭ drone in the vocal the harmonica dirge sounds more on than the unison parts of the main melody. It also makes sense that the reeds on harps in A would loosen with time, spit and wind. If I had a fave harp I wouldn't mess with gapping, I would just call it A♭. I wonder if Johnny favored the instrument and had Fred tune up. The other thing I like about these recordings is what seems to be an archtop Fred uses.
LISTEN TO BLUES MUSIC

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal