collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
You know, I want to write a book about my life... I don't want to tell you too much until I've got a chance to have it printed. Apart from my music, my main interests are fishing and making bicycle rides - Tampa Red's excuse to Jacques Demetre and Marcel Chauvard for not wanting to talk to them in any great detail, October 1959

Author Topic: George Mitchell Recordings  (Read 3435 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
George Mitchell Recordings
« on: May 23, 2007, 06:23:04 PM »
Speaking of re-released George Mitchell recordings (see Son Brimmer thread), has anyone picked up any of the Mitchell discs now available from Fat Possum? There was a page devoted to them in the Roots and Rhythm newsletter #144, and many sound very interesting. Players include Cecil Barfield, Dewey Corley and Walter Miller, Jimmy Lee Harris, Buddy Moss, Leon Pinson, Lonzie Thomas, Big Joe Williams, Teddy Williams, and various artists CDs titled Rosa Lee Hill and Friends, Lower Chattahoocie Valley, and Georgia Blues Today. These are available at quite a cheap rate, though some are very short (e.g. 26 minutes, up to 63 minutes). Thinking of ordering some but am wondering if anyone has heard them and has some favorites. Notes are non-existent on them, but as R&R says, at least they've made these obscure recordings available.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Re: George Mitchell Recordings
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 12:06:40 AM »
You can check them out on emusic. In general the ones I've heard have been interesting enough to make me want to buy as soon as I have funds.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 07:55:24 AM »
Elsewhere on the Cecil Barfield thread, the question came up about where/in what format George Mitchell recordings were available. I'm still confused by the availability and formats of these recordings, with different cover art showing up on the Amazon pages for mp3 downloads, others showing the black covers I've seen and that are shown in the review below. I buy CDs, but perhaps some of these Mitchell recordings will be my first digital download purchases if I can't find them in another format.

I thought I'd point to Neil Slaven's review of some of the single-CD releases from the George Mitchell collection from Blues and Rhythm. I thought we'd linked to this before on Weenie but I can't find it. (Neil's not sure about Cecil Barfield, though I'm sure he's come around by now  :P.) Just so no one is surprised, this is a link to a pdf file, not an html webpage.  http://www.bluesandrhythm.co.uk/documents/mitchell.pdf

One advantage I will point out about the George Mitchell Collection V1-45 CD boxed set is that there is a 24-page booklet with informative notes (once one gets past the first few paragraphs and dons Coke bottle glasses to read the tiny white-on-black reverse type). This helps with situating some of the artists, a number of whom were certainly new to me. Some good stories and recollections from George Mitchell. Since the single CDs are apparently noteless, this is not a factor when purchasing those.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 12:00:10 PM »
Also, I should point out the excellent notes about the boxed set available from Jeff Harris at his Big Road Blues site:

A Look At The George Mitchell Collection - Part 1
http://sundayblues.org/archives/125

A Look At The George Mitchell Collection - Part 2
http://sundayblues.org/archives/126

With some sample tracks.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 03:45:47 AM »
Folks -

George Mitchell is one of the unrecognized wonders of the world with regard to his field recordings. Spread out over a LONG period of time and going into territory that most others ignored, he has accomplished what he set out to do. To preserve something valuable (culturally, not monetarily!) so that it will at least survive those who performed their art for their community.  Jeff Harris' pieces that Bud mentions above are well worth down-loading and printing out, by the way. George's efforts have finally seen the light of day and are all heartily recommended by this little maven. FINALLY!

yrs,
     Peter B.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 03:47:56 AM by oddenda »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 04:40:26 AM »
One day somebody might republish Mitchell's wonderful 1971 book "Blow My Blues Away". In 1983 there was a horrendously expensive limited reprint by DaCapo which, despite the cost, quickly sold out.

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 07:48:50 AM »
and  - since my own copy never had a dust jacket - I found me one on the internet (at www.beasleybooks.com )

That's what it looks like:

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 11:08:34 AM »
One day somebody might republish Mitchell's wonderful 1971 book "Blow My Blues Away".

I'll second that request. I bought my copy right after I picked up the two Arhoolie "Mississippi Delta Blues" albums way back when.

Used copies of Blow My Blues Away are available via Bookfinder and the other used book seller sites, but are pricey. For those who are interested in using the the library system, check OCLC:

http://www.worldcat.org/advancedsearch

There are 479 libraries listed with Blow My Blues Away in their holdings, so there just might be a copy within striking distance. You can enter your Zip code or location and libraries with the book will be listed by travel distance.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 08:06:06 PM »
Just heard Johnny Woods on the Juke and think he is one of the greatest singers I've ever heard. Fluck a duck! What sounds he was producing, what expressiveness....breathtaking,,,awsome! I think I heard him years ago and forgot about him. Wow.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 09:09:51 PM »
And you don't have to travel to the library that has the book. Ask your local library to get it through interlibrary loan! SC

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal