collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The penciled message on his hat, too, suggested some of the delight with life that has given to his blues their warmth and vitality: KID FURRY - Have Gun Will Travel - Sam Charters in the booklet accompanying the 1960 Folkways LP

Author Topic: 12 string Dobro?  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
12 string Dobro?
« on: June 05, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
I just played one of these over at Chelsea Guitars here in NYC. When I first saw it I thought, gee thats a really dumb idea! But of course I couldn't resist giving it a try, and it was BITCHIN" AND KICKIN"! This is when I really hate being impecunious, but some worthy soul in this estimable group should benefit from my research. Just grant me visitation rights, sob, blubber, sniff....
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Bald Melon Jefferson

Re: 12 string Dobro?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:36:06 AM »
Sorry to hear about your bout of impecunioushia. A lot of that going around. Some penicillin and/or large sums of cash should clean that right up, depending on what stage you're in. Early detecton is the key.
Support the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 11:40:05 AM »
Hi O'Muck,
I'm curious--which, if any of the pairs were in octave courses, and which were in unisons?  I find courses somewhat scary in conventional 12-strings, but in a 12-string dobro, I think they would be terrifying.  Brrr!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 12:41:45 PM »
Somewhere I have a LP with Tut Taylor playing the 12 string Dobro. I checked the web and it looks like Tut is said to have invented it. It also looks like he recorded an album by the name "12 String Dobro!," although I can't recall ever hearing it.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 02:15:11 PM »
Some penicillin and/or large sums of cash
[/quote]

Where does one obtain this "Cash" of which you speak? I've heard of it, but have never actually seen any.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 02:25:54 PM »
Hi O'Muck,
I'm curious--which, if any of the pairs were in octave courses, and which were in unisons?  I find courses somewhat scary in conventional 12-strings, but in a 12-string dobro, I think they would be terrifying.  Brrr!
All best,
Johnm

I probably didn't make it clear that this was a style (#$@?!) metal bodied resonator 12 string guitar,
not square necked lap model. As far as which were octaves and which were unisons...beats the shit outta me John! I just picked it up, ran through one or two Willie McTell figures and was off to the next bit-o-idiocy. It played with surprisingly little effort and sounded really good and oddly un-resonator like. I was however, without my usual fingerpick, thumbpick combo, so it was just bare fingers (with mighty manly man callouses) vs. hard steel.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 04:23:07 PM »
I was told that because they need to raise cash they would part with it for $1200.

Tags: dobro 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal