collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Bring me back the wig I bought you, let your head go bald. When I first met you baby, you had no hair at all - Cannon's Jug Stompers, "Heartbreakin' Blues"

Author Topic: Music Collections Archived at Colleges/Universities  (Read 7758 times)

Offline ScottN

Berea College Digital - video of Buddy Moss and others
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »
Berea College Digital has posted about 200 new videos on their website from their Celebrations of Traditional Music and other work over the past month or so.

This includes actual video footage of Buddy Moss and many others...Asa Martin, Roscoe Holcomb...a ton of banjo...fiddle, autoharp, etc.

Enjoy, and if you get a chance send a thank you to Harry Rice and Sharyn Mitchell at Berea College for making this treasure available.

Thanks,
              Scott

Offline CF

Re: Berea College Digital - video of Buddy Moss and others
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 03:44:37 PM »
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Thanks so much for the post, Scott.  It's incredibly exciting to have this performance footage of Buddy Moss made available.  And a little credit where credit is due--the fact that this footage is now available for the public to see can almost undoubtedly be attributed to Scott's gentle persistence in getting Berea College to post the footage.  He'd read about the footage and followed up to see if it could be made available.  Well done, Scott!

It's neat to see that Buddy was very much a thumb-and-index guy in the right hand (quite often, just thumb!).  What a terrific singer, too!  His version of "Careless Love", which he calls "Love, Oh Love" is much my favorite that I've heard--really some hair-raising playing towards the front end of the rendition.  Incidentally, the song that Buddy calls "Madam" and says he can't find a source for is Cole Porter's "Miss Otis Regrets". 

You all may have noticed other footage that promises to be terrific among the listed videos, with lots of performances by Clyde Davenport, Franklin George, Roscoe Holcomb, Asa Martin, Janette Carter and a host of others.  Wow, thanks Berea College for making all of this footage available.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:16:57 PM by Johnm »

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 05:28:11 PM »
Thank you so much, Scott! This is awesome!

I did send a thank you note to Mr. Rice and Ms. Mitchell too!

And thanks for Cheapfeet for the link (Moss is on p.11), this isn't the easiest site to navigate!

Wow again!

Cheers

Pan

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 06:24:21 PM »
After viewing the seven Buddy Moss videos I went back to listen to some of his old solo recordings. I have to say, if his skills were diminished in 1977, and I'm not sure they were, they weren't diminished by very much. He was still quite impressive. This is great stuff.

Offline CF

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 06:22:48 AM »
Scott . . . if you are to thank for these being shared then THANK YOU . . . Weenie Campbell thanks you & the rest of the Pre-War blues community of players & appreciators thanks you. I'd love to be wrong but as far as I can tell this is the only film footage of Moss that we have.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 07:32:37 AM »
Wow... someone really made my day
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 08:11:34 AM »
Fantastic to be able to see Buddy Moss in the flesh, playing superbly!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Offline unezrider

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 11:09:02 AM »
i'll join the chorus & say my thanks, as well, scott! very nice surprise to start the day!
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 11:56:17 AM »
Scott, you have done the country blues community a great service. Thank you.
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline harvey

• Howdy!
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 01:37:33 PM »
Just to add my thanks, really enjoying all th fottage in particular Buddy Moss, some incredible playing

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 01:42:29 PM »
This is really special....amazing stuff...thanks so much for posting

Offline Lyndvs

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 02:39:06 PM »
Thank you Scott.I`ve been enjoying the videos.The Buddy Moss and Roscoe Holcomb in particular.Still a lot more to check out.A real treat.

Offline ScottN

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 10:51:06 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the kind words for the small part I played :-)

Cheapfeet - as far as I have been able to find it is the only video of Buddy Moss anywhere.  I am so thankful that it was digitized and made available to all before the original media material degraded further or became unusable.

Hopefully everyone is enjoying this early Christmas present...they continue to post more videos...saw some David Holt on banjo from the 1970s today...also, look around the site at the audio, etc...there are another dozen or so Buddy Moss audio recordings (in addition to many many others).

If you get a chance, please send a note to the folks at Berea who first had the foresight to record this treasure and are now spending their limited resources making this available to all.

Thanks,
              Scott

Offline oddenda

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 10:31:08 PM »
Seeing Buddy took me back to my time in pursuit of getting him to record in the mid-70's. I was persistent, but to no avail - even after "The Great Pistol Incident of Fulton County". Buddy was always his own worst enemy, but a brilliant musician who tended to screw up his potential opportunities. Berea must have hit on him when he was having a good day!

pbl

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal