collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"That ain't the goddam blues," says Bussard, disgusted. "You ever hear of Charlie Patton?" - Joe Bussard, story by Eddie Dean, washingtoncitypaper.com

Author Topic: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips  (Read 254716 times)

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips
« Reply #285 on: February 17, 2010, 01:08:09 AM »
Mr. O'M., I have a wonderful CD by The Fujii called - wait for it - "We Pray the Brooze", which is all sung in Japanese. This was a trio featuring Koichi Fujishima ("Fuji") on slide resophonic guitar and vocals, Paul Shearsmith on pocket trumpet and tuned gas main (I kid you not) and classical violinist, Shimaky Fumica.

I take great delight in playing this album to visitors. Some love it and some hate it and none are undecided! I really rate it. Unfortunately both websites given on the cover seem to be defunct. However, if you want a copy I can contact Paul Shearsmith here in the UK.

Edit: Just noticed they have some second-hand copies on Amazon UK and only one new one left. Here's a couple of comments about the band on the web:
http://www.xstreameast.co.uk/reviews.php?id=46
http://www.cafeoto.co.uk/programme/TheFuji.shtm

I just remembered I reviewed the album for a British magazine, so if you want a copy of my drivel, please PM me.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 01:44:36 AM by Parlor Picker »
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #286 on: February 17, 2010, 04:07:32 AM »
Kim & Frank, I'll be lookin' for some fancy footwork on the 28th! :P

If you bring your laptop, you can watch LWZ while listening to us play Cat-Iron.  See? problem solved!  You can thank me later...

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #287 on: February 17, 2010, 06:00:34 AM »
And here's one of Germany's finest doing a couple of pieces. The first one is autobiographical and shifts the blues into the Bavarian woods (sorry O' M. - it's in English). There's another video on there of Willie playing slide which is easy to find.

Barbecue Bob

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #288 on: February 17, 2010, 08:53:03 AM »
I also think we owe it to our wider international audience to start translating and performing our repertoires in other languages Urdu, Manx and Finnish for starters!

I think that we should start with the very rare and equally obscure OMuck dialect, of which, I'm told, only one native speaker remains! :P

In the early seventies I went to one of Tex Logan's parties. The Bluegrass 45's were there. They were Japanese university students who learned to sing and play bluegrass from listening to--guess what?--bluegrass 45's. They were great, and the experience was surreal, to say the least.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #289 on: February 17, 2010, 10:11:24 AM »
"We Pray the Brooze",

God! I O0 think I'll have to reconsider the title for my way in the future forthcoming cd.
Herr Salomon is damn good, and not a trace of an accent. Is he an American ex pat?
As for dancin', Frank I'm thinkin' a couple of go-go cages......
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #290 on: February 17, 2010, 10:27:20 AM »
Shhhh.. "We Pray the Brooze" can be downloaded here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?iwmnmzyoqqa

I like what I've heard so far... but have not heard the Gas Main being played yet.  :P

This is a RAR file, 79 megs, you'll need an evaluation copy of WinZip or some other RAR de-archiver or unarchive.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #291 on: February 17, 2010, 10:40:40 AM »
Shhhh.. "We Pray the Brooze" can be downloaded here:

it is just plumb mind-boggling what can be found online with just a google between you and it.

wow.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #292 on: February 17, 2010, 10:43:41 AM »
[As for dancin', Frank I'm thinkin' a couple of go-go cages......

a boa?  pasties?  hmmmm...

there is nothing scarier than a guy who takes his shirt off to reveal what appears to be a mohair sweater...  and he's wearing pasties...  that ain't schtick...  that's schtuck!

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #293 on: February 18, 2010, 01:07:20 AM »
I'm really glad I reminded myself about the album by The Fujii.  I hope more Weenies get to hear it and like it.

Willie Salomon is German, but did have an American father. However, to the best of my knowledge he was born and raised in Germany. I'll have to ask him.  Check out his website: williesalomon.com and his CDs are worth a listen as well - he has been mentioned on this forum before.  I bought my Kalamazoo from Willie, who has a fine collection of vintage instruments, with the emphasis on old Gibsons.
Barbecue Bob

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #295 on: February 19, 2010, 05:00:56 PM »

I like his vocal timing - loose!  When he starts talking in German, he sounds like a German commentator discussing the guy who we just heard playing and singing!

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #296 on: February 20, 2010, 01:06:12 PM »
Bob really sang the shit out of that one! Great!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #297 on: February 21, 2010, 01:52:47 AM »
Willie Salomon is a great all-round country blues player. His Lonnie Johnson stuff is particularly great - he does it in open G6 I believe. His first solo CD release, "Country Blues and More" (for which I wrote the liner notes) has him doing his Lonnie thing on the Kalamazoo he sold to me ( see picture to left <---). Check him out on williesalomon.com.

There are quite a few good players in Germany. The Sons of the Desert, who do more Hawaiian and hokum stuff, are a great band with Rainer W?ffler on various guitars, mandolins, etc. He has some nice old guitars, including a few Nationals, I believe. They also feature our own Mr. Mando, another great player. Here's a YouTube video:

Barbecue Bob

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #298 on: February 21, 2010, 06:40:47 AM »
Thanks Michael, that was fun! This then turned up on the auto link at the end with a version of the origins of steel guitar and some nice playing too.

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #299 on: February 27, 2010, 01:28:10 PM »

Not YouTube, but from the Association for Cultural Equity, which Alan Lomax was involved in.

Video of Napolian Strickland, Como, Mississippi Fife and Drum Picnic, 1978.

http://research.culturalequity.org/get-video-details.do?clipId=02.09.04

(Disco fashion was still hot in Como that year, when you see a pair of bright yellow pants, check out them shoes.)

Lots of great stuff on this website, http://www.culturalequity.org/, you can happily kill hours of time looking around.

Lindy

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal