collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
...put your knees together, let your backbone move - Fred McDowell, Shake em On Down

Author Topic: Garfield Akers Cottonfield Blues Pt 2  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Roastfellow

Garfield Akers Cottonfield Blues Pt 2
« on: August 07, 2006, 11:17:18 PM »
Can anyone tell me how to play this tune in a way that makes my one guitar sound like the two used on the record? Any reasonable cheat would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 09:18:39 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Garfield Akers Cottonfield Blues Pt 2
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 09:15:18 AM »
Hi Roastfellow,
I don't know what you intend to do about the vocal, but here is some stuff you could try for the accompaniment:
   * Put on an unwound (plain) third string if you don't already have one on your guitar.  It will let you inflect the higher voice on the guitar more like it is played on the record.
   * Think of what is happening over the I chord as two voices.  Play it out of A, standard tuning, capoed to best singing key.
   * The upper voice goes from second fret third string to fifth fret third string, back to second fret third string down to fourth fret fourth string, notes A-C (slightly bent)-A-F# (slightly bent).  You hold down the index barre across to the fourth string through this whole passage, so anything fretted at the second fret is handled by the barre
   * The lower voice goes from second fret fourth string to fourth fret fourth string to second fret fourth string to third fret fifth string (slightly bent), notes E-F# (slightly bent)-E-C (slightly bent)
   * You might try some right finger damping, placing your fingers right back on the strings and muting them as soon as you've plucked them, or letting them ring slightly before muting them.
Best of luck with this.  Change it as you wish to improve upon it and you will need to vary it, too, as they get into that "worrying" lick that has repeated notes.
   * Oops, I forgot to say you should keep the open A string thumping through the above-described activity.
All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 09:19:07 AM by Johnm »

Offline Roastfellow

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 10:38:44 PM »
God bless you, John. I've been playing your arrangement non-stop for days. You've made me extremely happy. You really should think about giving lessons or something. Thanks again.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 10:59:27 PM »
Well good on you, Roastfellow, I'm glad it's working out for you!  Maybe I'll hear you play it some time.  What a tremendous song it is.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Marshcat

• Aloha!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 03:14:25 AM »
Hi, Johnm,
Having studiously avoided standard tuning for two decades, is there any way your suggestions would work in low-bass open A??? Any hints gratefully received...

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 08:24:07 AM »
Hi Marshcat,
If you go to Spanish tuning out of A (EAEAC#E) and move everything fretted on the third and fourth strings down two frets from the description in the previous post (fifth string will remain the same), it should work.  If you've been avoiding standard tuning for two decades, it's about time to go back.  You are cutting yourself off from too many good sounds.  You can only compensate so much.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Marshcat

• Aloha!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 05:03:05 AM »
Thanks for the help! Re open vs. standard tunings, I guess you're right, but as a sufferer from chronic resophonia with a dozen vintage Nationals begging to be in various open tunings, I may just have to keep standard tuning for my (fast approaching) dotage...

Aloha,

Marshcat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal