collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Don't play me cheap! - Blind Lemon Jefferson, catchphrase

Author Topic: My first electric guitar/Lightnin' Hopkins  (Read 1312 times)

Offline whigski3

• Hi!
My first electric guitar/Lightnin' Hopkins
« on: January 31, 2018, 12:35:39 PM »
Recently got my first electric guitar. I was/am at the low end of intermediate on acoustic--I know the basic chords pretty well, and my thumb has some idea what it is supposed to be doing.  I would like to pick up some of the "finger-style" of Lightnin' Hopkins. 

I found a tab for "Baby, Please Don't Go" on UltimateGuitar, but I found it sort of "abbreviated".  Could anyone point me towards some possibly more helpful resources (for instance, musical staff and lyrics would be nice).  I realize I could try to play something from a recording, but  maybe learning from a recording is something I can try to do once I get going...    I waited for my amp to warm up for several minutes last night before I realized I wasn't using a cord!   :o

Thanks!
Bill Whig
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:37:04 PM by whigski3 »
I'm sitting here wondering, will a matchbox hold my clothes...

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: My first electric guitar/Lightnin' Hopkins
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 01:45:07 PM »

Offline whigski3

• Hi!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 11:37:47 PM »
Thank you, Stuart.  I enjoyed viewing a few of the video samples at Stefan Grossman's site.  In conscientiously trying to copy L.H. note-for-note, Mr. Hawkins really turns the matter into an advanced exercise. Since I posted, I ran across Stefan Grossman's book "Texas Blues" on my shelf (which I purchased about 20 years ago).  It has 3 other L.H. tunes which may be more helpful in helping me to get out of the gate.  I also have the "gold star" recordings, on cassette--and for that reason I haven't played them in a while--but I think I will remedy that. Thanks for your help and your interest!

Bill Whig
I'm sitting here wondering, will a matchbox hold my clothes...

Offline bobspez

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 10:32:19 AM »
Good luck on learning the LH songs. But if you don't get there you can still enjoy playing electric blues. They are fairly simple to learn and play. You don't need tab. Three or four chords on a 12 bar blues and simple leads you can figure out from the pentatonic box. All the chords and lyrics are on line on sites like https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ and videos are on youtube. I was never able to master fingerstyle like Missippi John Hurt, but have had plenty of fun with simple electric blues songs like this one.
https://soundcloud.com/bobspez/not-fade-away-nov-2015

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal