collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Her full voice filled the entire auditorium without the use of mikes like we use today. That was singing the blues! I was really inspired and kept plugging to become a singer - Victoria Spivey, on seeing Mamie Smith perform at Houston's City Auditorium

Author Topic: Odd museums  (Read 686 times)

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
Odd museums
« on: December 13, 2013, 08:25:07 AM »
Whilst reading about the kazoo museum, I found that there is a Jello museum nearby. Anybody else encounter strange museums like that?
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline Old Man Ned

Re: Odd museums
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 02:11:28 PM »
There's a pencil museum in Keswick, UK and if I recall correctly an umbrella museum not far from Lake Como, Italy.  Handy if you want to sketch in the rain I guess...

Offline Alexei McDonald

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 02:53:59 PM »
I've been to that museum in Keswick. It has a great shop, if you like pencils.

Offline Laura

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 03:14:22 PM »
I used to live in central Tokyo.  5 minutes from my apartment was a parasite museum.  They claimed to hold the largest parasite taken from a live human.  Pretty gross!  I only visited the once - that was enough :)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 04:24:49 PM »
I once spent a happy half hour in the Mustard Museum in Mt. Horeb Wisconsin (it's since moved a few miles east to Middleton).  Nothing but jars of mustard as far as the eye could see.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 06:02:58 PM »
I've been to the Maritime Museum of British Columbia, where you'll learn a lot about rope knots. 

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 06:51:47 PM »
Potato Museum on Prince Edward Island includes the 'Potato Interpretive Centre'. Competing Potato Museum in New Brunswick.

I have to say that a recent visit to the Sir John Soane Museum in London was one of my favourite museums visits ever. What an odd place. Architectural curiosities everywhere, Egyptian sarcophagus in the basement, Hogarth paintings hidden in the walls, staffed by charming people who are rather more eccentric than your average museum staff, though perhaps not quite as eccentric as Soane appears to have been.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 10:48:33 PM »
And then there was Hubert's Museum in NYC. Went  there with a bunch of oldsters (late teenagers, IIRC) back in the mid-sixties. Bizarre, to say the least. Visited it again in the late sixties, but it was a mere shell of its former self. Gone, but not forgotten. Where else could you see the Declaration of Independence written on a grain of rice--and view  it through a magnifying glass right out of the movie "Brazil?"

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 11:29:15 PM »
Looks like I've some traveling to do!
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline Lyle Lofgren

• Lyle & Elizabeth Lofgren
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 05:32:42 AM »
Don't forget the Spam Museum in Austin, Minnesota, where you can learn the history of canned spiced ham.

And, on a trip through Kansas back in 2005 (on our way somewhere else, of course), we stumbled on the Prairie Museum of Art and History in Colby, Kansas. It consists solely of the eclectic collection of one Nellie Kuska, arranged alphabetically in display cases. This photo shows her collection of things starting with "R":

http://www.lizlyle.lofgrens.org/LizPics/ColbyMuseum4.html .

Lyle

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 08:50:33 AM »

Some years ago, a Camel Girth Museum opened, around the corner, from my house, here in San Francisco.

In case you're wondering, a camel girth is a braided fabric that's attached, underneath the camel, to hold a saddle in place, on a camel's back. What is usually called a "cinch" with saddles for horses.

Everyday, the curator would stand outside, looking lonely and forlorn, asking passers-by if they would like to come inside and look at camel girths.

There were few takers.

Feeling it my responsibility to be a good neighbor, I visited a couple of times.
 The braiding was, in fact, very ornate and quite impressive.

Not surprisingly, the museum eventually folded 

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal