collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When he was brought to Europe in 1951 he was a caretaker, a 'mopper', at the Iowa State College, and on his return resumed his menial work as a janitor - Paul Oliver on Big Bill Broonzy, Blues Off the Record

Author Topic: News of the cricketing world  (Read 3462 times)

Offline bnemerov

Re: News of the cricketing world
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 07:16:26 AM »
and if that wasn't enough, Bryson has fun (for another page or two) with the special jargon associated with Cricket.
Here an excerpt from the radio broadcast Bryson allegedly heard:

"Pilchard begins his long run in from short stump. He bowls and ... oh, he's out! Yes, he's got him. Longwilley is caught leg-before in middle slops by Grattan. Well, now what do you make of that, Neville?"

"That's definitely one for the books, Bruce. I don't think I've seen offside medium-slow fast-pace bowling to match it since Baden-Powell took Rangachangabanga for a maiden ovary at Bangalore in 1948..."

"...So here comes Stovepipe to bowl on this glorious summer's afternoon at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. I wonder if he'll chance an offside drop scone here or go for the quick legover. Stovepipe has an unusual delivery in that he actually leaves the grounds and starts his run just outside the Carlton & United Brewery at Kooyong."

"That's right, Clive. I haven't known anyone start his delivery that far back since Stopcock caught his sleeve on the reversing mirror of a number 11 bus during the third test at Brisbane in 1957 and ended up at Goondiwindi four days later owing to some frightful confusion over a changed timetable at Toowoomba Junction.

After a very long silence while they absorbed this thought, and possibly stepped out to transact some small errands, they resumed with a leisurely discussion of the England fielding. Neasden, it appeared, was turning in a solid performance at square bowel, while Packet had been a stalwart in the dribbles, though even these exemplary performances paled when set aside the outstanding play of young Hugo Twain-Buttocks at middle nipple. The commentators were in calm agreement that they had not seen anyone caught behind with such panache since Tandoori took Rogon Josh for a stiffy at Vindaloo in '61. At last Stovepipe, having found his way over the railway line at Flinders Street -- the footbridge was evidently closed for painting -- returned to the stadium and bowled to Hasty, who deftly turned the ball away for a corner. This was repeated four times more over the next two hours and then one of the commentators pronounced: "So as we break for second luncheon, and with 11,200 balls remaining, Australia are 962 for two not half and England are four for a duck and hoping for rain."

I may not have all the terminology exactly right, but I believe I have caught the flavor of it.

Offline eric

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 07:29:41 AM »
My English cousin tried to explain cricket to me for years, but my attention began to waver when I realized the "leg before wicket" rule required more pages to explain than quantum mechanics.
--
Eric

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 09:26:01 AM »
This, of course, is the true explanation of cricket:

Cricket: As explained to a foreigner...

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.
When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Also, when a batsman's in, he has to be careful not to be caught at silly mid on, at fine leg, or in the slips. When I played cricket, I was usually more out than in.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 10:18:33 AM »
After seeing that nine out of the ten posts on the page are about Cricket, it's become obvious that Cricket is the standard by which all other human (and maybe even non-human) activity should be measured. Enlightenment at last!

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 11:46:35 AM »
Quite right.

As its a music forum, I am honour bound to post a YT video of Neil Hannon singing a very entertaining song about cricket.  For the uninitiated you should probably view the second video first- which is a short clip of the moment in cricket history which the song celebrates.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 12:17:48 PM »
Geoff Boycott on bass?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Offline harvey

• Howdy!
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 01:29:47 PM »

And of course the best piece of sporting commentary you are ever likely to hear.

RIP Brian Johnson

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 05:23:52 PM »
I could do without all the show biz glitz, tee shirt cannons, jumbotrons, wurlitzers, annoying mascots prancing around dressed up as animals with giant heads, ad freakin' infinitum, it detracts from the game. I'm like, "jeez, just play ball already..."

I absolutely agree with the sentiments expressed above.  I assume they don't have stuff like that in professional cricket?  If they don't, it's just a matter of time...

When Aussie media mogul Kerry Packer stunned the cricketing world by introducing the one-day game several years ago, where the game was all over in one day rather than potentially five, and the teams wore colorful TV friendly garb, rather than white with different color team hats, I thought it was all over at that point.

I remain surprised that while there is admittedly a bit more showbiz in the one day game than the five day game it has never reached the frankly ludicrous levels you get subjected to at US sporting events. I go to baseball because I like the game and the atmosphere in the stands. The antics of the entourages, between innings and when someone does something really good, just make me groan and cover my eyes and ears. I sense the players might feel that way as well, looking at their expressions sometimes.

I don't think that will ever happen to cricket. In fact I'd put good money on it. The big screens are there and are a good thing if they enhance the actual game. Spare me the rest, it's idiotic!

I would make an exception to see the Afghaniis come thundering into the stadium on horseback chasing a guy dragging a headless goat though.

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 11:19:09 PM »
As a cricket fan, I have read this thread many times and have: Laughed so hard I dropped me teapot thrice, fallen off the chair twice, and just now nearly soiled meself. Bravo, boys!
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 05:33:06 PM »
Cricket fans will have heard that Richie Benaud, one of the greatest, has passed. After a stellar career as an all-rounder and Aussie captain he got into broadcasting. Listening to his commentaries on a crackly tranny radio, or later, behind the TV images, was one of my favorite ways to relax. When Richie was at the mic all was right with the world. Apart from being exceedingly astute and unfazed, he always would find the slightly mad, funny side of any situation on the pitch.

RIP Richie, and thanks for the memories.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/32182999

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 05:35:42 PM by Rivers »

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2015, 12:57:15 AM »
I recall the period when I was first starting to understand and be absorbed by cricket, he demonstrated the different grips for legspin bowling on the telly.  I was hooked.  The arcane art of the googly...

The Aussies have apparently offered him a state funeral. 

Offline StoogeKebab

• Howdy!
    • LAW Records
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 01:28:29 AM »
I recall the period when I was first starting to understand and be absorbed by cricket, he demonstrated the different grips for legspin bowling on the telly.  I was hooked.  The arcane art of the googly...

The Aussies have apparently offered him a state funeral.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did (haven't caught the news today). When he got sick last year it was a huge thing here, we'll miss his voice for sure. Someone said it today and it was so true "like an uncle who visited during the summer season" - for me, his voice will always be the soundtrack to my Grandparents' house staying with them in summer.
Confident that I'm probably almost definitely the youngest record label owner in my street

Live Acoustic Wollongong - LAW Records

https://www.facebook.com/law.nkjc/

https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/james-r-cooper/id992309035

Offline pete1951

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »
There is a link between music and cricket......

but maybe not the way I play it!
PT

Offline harvey

• Howdy!
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 01:09:27 PM »
I have often wondered why Cricket did not make it to African American's maybe it did in a small way I am not aware of. It is vertically a religion in most of the West Indies and let's face it .... Country Blues, Cricket, cold beer (in our case proper warm beer) and a hot summers day sit very comfortably together as far as I am concerned

RIP Richie ... Despite your laid back delivery you bought so much enthusiasm and intellect to the game

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 01:31:31 PM »
In the '80s I worked on an apartment renovation crew with a bunch of guys from St. Vincent, in the BWIs. They all lived in the area of central Brooklyn known as East New York, adjacent to Flatbush Ave. and the A train. They played cricket most weekends and I think there were pretty active leagues. Googling I find: http://newyorkcricket.com ; https://www.facebook.com/JoinACricketClubInNewYorkCity ; http://www.nypcl.com and http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/06/nyregion/cricket-finds-a-home-in-the-bronx.html?_r=0 , which might be of interest. But, of course, this is the land of baseball, which fits into your equation pretty strongly here.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal