collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
She's a tailor made woman, she ain't no hand me down - Blind Lemon Jefferson, Bad Luck Blues

Author Topic: Bar for lap playing  (Read 1839 times)

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Bar for lap playing
« on: August 13, 2007, 01:13:39 PM »
First I must say I am not on commission!

This one is for serious lap players who might be interested to know there is now an amazing new bar\bullet on the market and those that have been using it (Michael Messer for instance) are really impressed :)

I have been using a 6oz chromed steel bullet and with that you get all sorts of slidey, graunchy string noises - there is no escape that's what you get  ^-^ and I suppose it's what everyone has put up with since the begining.

So enter the Tribotone bar, same dimensions as the steel bullet but coated in an amazingly hi-tech plastic which does all (and more) that the old steel bullet could ever do  :P and it comes glorious technicolour, I got a yellow one so that nobody would dare pinch it  ;)

Just about 90% of the string noise is gone, it certainly slides better without the friction and the response from the bass strings up the neck is generally a trillion times better.

The downside is they ain't cheap, but then if you have spent the earth on decent guitar whats another few quid.... and you only buy this once.

Go visit the site and get the technical info yourself www.tribotone.com they come in various colours and weights  :)
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Ignatznochops

Re: Bar for lap playing
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 04:04:43 PM »
I bought one of the Tribotones and while I really love the material on the outside (much better tone than the "graunchy" - great neologism - tone produced by steel) I can't get used to the shape. If you're not a Stevens style user, I agree with Richard, Tribotones are the ticket. Very expensive though...around $70.

I've already asked them to consider producing some sort of hybrid in a Stevens style, with a bit of a "handle" at the top but with that hard glassy material they use on the bottom.

I'm afraid that I'm going to drop that bullet shaped bar right through my Weissenborn one day. Koa is awfully brittle stuff.

Joe

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 07:11:40 PM »
Richard, I would dare steal a yellow one. Hot pink, probably not.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 12:51:38 AM »
The plot thickens, so should I ever lose the Yellow Peril I have just got a Pyrotechnic Red one as a spare :P

Now, Joe you ought to know that Steven's bars are a wimpy new fangled invention ;D and if you play lap you really should be using a bullet - the proof of the pudding is in the slants   ;D
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline zoner

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 09:38:51 AM »
Just got a red one....they are awesome!!!!!

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal