collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence - Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

Linked Events

• Port Townsend Acoustic Blues Workshop & Festival: July 29, 2012 - August 04, 2012

Author Topic: 2012 Port Townsend Acoustic Blues Festival  (Read 16515 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: 2012 Port Townsend Acoustic Blues Festival
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 05:37:40 PM »
Hi all,
I'm kind of late to the de-briefing, but I just wanted to say what a treat it was to see and hear and visit with all of you who were in attendance at Port Townsend this year. Classes were really fun for me.  It's a tribute to the work that people have done over the years that it ends up being possible to teach some pretty dense songs in the course of one class period and having people playing all the way through them by the end of the period.  It was exciting for me to see the enthusiasm for the Post-War Jesse Thomas tunes, Hayes McMullan, Blind Willie Johnson's non-slide material and other topics, including the music of Robert Pete Williams and Cecil Barfield.  It's great when people are willing and able to reject a "one size fits all" approach to playing music, and are open to trying all kinds of different approaches.  Of course, they won't all resonate equally well or feel natural in every instance, but when you hit upon one that really connects, man, it is exciting.
Apart from the teaching/learning aspect of the event, it is just so good to see friends that I otherwise see way too infrequently to suit me.  It is truthfully the most important part of the event for me, and really sticks to my ribs.  Taken in combination with the music, it's pretty hard to beat.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »
Amen brother! And thanks for the Jesse Thomas reminder, I need his complete recorded works, not just for learning some very cool guitar playing, I look forward to having him playing while I'm doing other things around the house.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:41:46 PM by Rivers »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 01:32:29 AM »
Amen brother! And thanks for the Jesse Thomas reminder, I need his complete recorded works, not just for learning some very cool guitar playing, I look forward to having him playing while I'm doing other things around the house.
Check out the JT tags for previous informative discussions.

Also http://www.wirz.de/music/thojefrm.htm

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 02:43:45 PM »
We're soon going to have to give NotRev the Humanitarian Weenie award - which will most likely be a first and last.   ;D

The "Humanitarian Weenie" hmmmmmmmmm...

Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline jed

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 09:38:16 PM »
Hoo boy, yes, what a fine time!  Went to more classes this year than almost the last two years combined. 

I greatly enjoyed seeing everyone - scheming to put Rivers' employer on hiatus during camp next year.  Alex inexplicably slipped away with my guitar; if he wants a room next time...

May have mentioned running into Mary Flower on the way out - she said it well:  "I don't know it could have been any better."

Me neither.  Only 49 weeks to go!
ok then:  http://jed.net

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 10:13:50 PM »
We'll see how it goes Jed, project schedule has me over committed that time next year. A lot can change in a year though...  ;)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 07:17:45 PM »
I put up a couple more pics, http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?action=gallery;cat=43

Should have taken more. I say that every year.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 07:51:05 PM »
Hey kids, one more reminder to get your PT evaluations in.  The grapevine says that Daryl is already starting to pick 2013 faculty!

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 07:25:39 AM »

I've already suggested the return of country blues pickers like Roy Book Binder, Paul Geremia, and Paul Rushell/Annie Raines.

But I'd like to encourage those who haven't submitted their wish lists yet to add Gayle Dean Wardlow to them. According to his book and his contributions to this forum, he'd be a perfect fit giving lectures on blues collecting and history, similar to what Elijah did this year. I don't think he could possibly run out of stories in only a week's time.

Whoever's on your list, please give them to Daryl, I'm sure he'd appreciate the feedback.

L

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 09:55:47 AM »
Just reintroduced my request for Tim Williams.

Alex

Offline dennis

• Howdy!
The old days
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2020, 06:04:47 PM »
I am sitting here with my WeenieCampbell.com super electrical fly swatter that Bob West gave me at the ready.  A big fly wandered by a while back and I am prepared.  It made me think about what a luxury it was to listen any time to greatest music ever recorded.  I am hoping it will again appear.  I know, I could pull out an LP and drop the needle.  It just aint the same.  I created a Wikipedia page for Bob West.  You need to add "radio" in the search to get him. I miss him.  I miss weeniecample to tune in on.  Thanks  Dennis

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal