collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Charlie had so many crazy pieces you couldn't count 'em - Charlie Patton, remembered by Son House

Author Topic: Forum Usage: Tags  (Read 38882 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Forum Usage: Tag Guidelines
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 10:57:11 AM »
OK no objections lodged, I'm tagging those items with "memes"

Aw, missed the deadline. I would personally register dislike of "meme", which I find sounds like academic jargon. In fact, if we look at some recent academic activity on blues lyrics like that done by Robert Springer or Michael Taft (at least from memory), "formula" is the term they use. Springer writes, "In the blues, a formula will normally consist of a line, often line A of the rhymed couplet in the twelve-bar blues, to which a B line is fitted. The line may be cut in half, leaving two hemistichs which can themselves function as formulas and may be reversed or recombined with others. Complete two-line formulas are often referred to as floating verses, but I'll use the term formula whatever its length. A formula, in essence, as it is repeated and reused, becomes part of the genre's storehouse or library, so to speak, and is absorbed into the tradition." - From "On the Electronic Trail of Blues Formulas", Robert Springer

I like formula because it is plainer language, easily understood. A longer version is lyric formulas.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:58:37 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2010, 02:19:08 PM »
Ok works for me, easy to change later, I'm at airport typing on worlds smallest keybrd

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 04:41:33 AM »
The Tags Index is currently not working for reasons as yet unknown. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 07:39:20 PM »
Normal tag index service has resumed. The new improved juke block was causing the problem, reasons TBD. Reverted to the original juke block for the time being.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 05:14:02 PM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2011, 05:34:24 PM »
Previous problem fixed, new juke box now plays happily with tags index.

Tags index now includes a visual cue when the letter of the alphabet changes, check it out:  http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?page=tagsindex

Hopefully it feels less like you're awash in an ocean of tags when scrolling through. Also it's now six columns wide instead of five to shorten the page. Please holler if that's a problem on your display.

We've also majorly reconfigured from where it's stored and executed, but that's under-the-hood stuff to make it easier to administer and upgrade in future.

And sorry to nag but please review the tag usage guidelines in the first post on this thread. We get some that are quirky and not real useful, given what this site is all about, and it takes time to clean them up so the tags index remains useful to the maximum number of weenies. Thank you very much!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 05:10:18 PM by Rivers »

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2011, 06:30:41 AM »
that looks neat and tidy, Rivers (on Safari 5) good job!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2011, 09:59:12 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Gumbo. We've been testing everything on multiple browsers after realizing Chrome & Safari had a problem with weeniepedia due to a bug in the latter, now fixed.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Forum Usage: Tags
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »
There's an experimental version of the tags index available in demo mode. It's sorted alphabetically, but down the page, not across it.

Take a look and let us know whether you find it easier to read than the current one. Link to the demo is here:

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?page=tagsindex
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:44:16 PM by Rivers »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2011, 04:07:12 PM »
Hi,
I do prefer down the page, as in the experiment.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2012, 10:17:39 AM »
I've switched us over to the new vertical tag index.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2012, 10:27:11 AM »
Looks great, nice work Rivers!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2012, 10:58:41 AM »
Yes, that is super easy to read and use.  Well done, Rivers!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2012, 11:25:48 AM »
Thanks guys. It was fun to code.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2012, 10:26:09 AM »
Bunker Hill pointed out that the 'discographies' tag results were going over five pages, and the sequence was kind of meaningless, by most recent topic, descending. This made it hard to find things.

So we've bumped the number of results up from max 25 per page to max 300. This means the entire discographies tag list now fits on one page.

We've also changed the ordering to be alphabetical, since it makes more sense for the way we use tags.

One last little fix, previously it would display the topic starter's user name. If the member had gone into their profile and changed their name at some point later it would not display that change, instead displaying the original one. So topics started by Ghostrider now show Ghostrider, not his old name 'pyrochlore'.

Some lines show a blank member. These are long gone members. I'll see if I can get it to show their name anyway.

Check it out: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?option=com_smf&action=tags;tagid=49

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2013, 10:21:15 AM »
Hi all,
When tagging a topic, please do not try to convert a sentence describing your post into single-word tags, e.g., I [tag] am [tag] fingerpicking [tag] a [tag] blues [tag] here [tag].  If you're tagging a performance post, it is perfectly fine to tag it with your own name--it makes sense, in fact, especially if you post a fair number of performances.  That way people can easily find any of your performances by going to the tags.  It also makes sense to add a tag with the name of the performer whose song you're covering, if your performance is a cover.  Please do not tag anything with "blues".  On a blues site, tagging a post "blues" is no help at all.
All best,
Johnm

Tags: tags 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal