The Unwound Third > Jam Session

Mexican Vests in the Blues Revival

(1/3) > >>

Mr.OMuck:
Son House, Bukka White and Fred McDowell all wore what I believe to be colorful non buttoning semi serape like Mexican Vests when they performed in the 60's and early 70's. Anyone know how this came about, and if any other Blues players wore them? They sure beat "Blues Brothers" Hats!

Lignite:
All three played Newport Folk Festival. Bet there might be some connection there.

waxwing:
They were all over college campuses in the early 70s. I wore one and I never saw any of those guys wearing one.

Wax

Johnm:
As per Lightnin's observation about the three musicians having played at Newport, if there was some way of checking who the vendors were there, an answer might be found.
All best,
John

Stuart:
Any dated photos that might give us some info about when any of the guys started wearing the vests? I know that Booker White played at the 1968 Olympics at Mexico City, but whether or not that's relevant is another matter. They might have run across them in the U.S. years earlier. Like Wax says, they were available in the U.S., like the Huarache sandals with tire tread soles that I remember seeing for sale at non-mainstream shops. Given where they played in the States, they might have run across them in the college towns or cities where they played.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version