collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If you don't want me, rider, please don't dog me 'round, just like you found me, you sure can put me down - Ishmon Bracey, Left Alone Blues

Author Topic: Broonzy Biography - Free download as ebook from publisher  (Read 939 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Broonzy Biography - Free download as ebook from publisher
« on: February 04, 2014, 02:19:39 AM »
This has been drawn to my attention. Don't know how long it the offer will remain

http://press.uchicago.edu/books/freeEbook.html

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Re: Broonzy Biography - Free download as ebook from publisher
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 04:08:20 AM »
Thanks Alan.  Looks like I have some fresh reading material!

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 04:55:12 AM »
Having this I haven't bothered to download. Was it a painless experience? No hidden agendas?  ;)

The published version didn't contain a bibliography, that had to be downloaded from the website. Does the download come with it?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:56:37 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 05:11:09 AM »
Well...  I have the link, but it insists on you first downloading a specific piece of proprietary software, so unfortunately there is a hidden agenda.  Its not just one of the usual readers either.  I will need to research the software a bit before deciding whether Im prepared to have it on my system.  Shame its not just in one of the standard ebook formats.
---

Right- Ive had a look.  Its a link to an ACSM file - which is Adobe's proprietary download manager.  Essentially you have to read the book via Adobe's Digital Editions, for which you appear to need to register an Adobe ID.  They are trying to hook you into using their reader and presumably their downloads in future.  No obvious ties, but I do have 3 or 4 e-readers already, without the "ID" ties so am not sure I really want it on my system ???
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 05:21:07 AM by Norfolk Slim »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 05:41:17 AM »
Crafty buggers. I guess it had to be too good to be true. Thanks for the detective work.

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 08:55:17 AM »
Thanks for the link.

It should be said that the book is still viewable so long as the adobe reader software you download is "activated" without an "ID"... I don't think you can own it like an eBook (or a book) but you can read for the while at least.

First chapter in I think the book itself is interesting enough to warrant a purchase... if only for the sake of encouraging more like it to be published in the future.
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal