collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I couldn't be _BAD_ if I tried, and believe me, I have tried... - Big Dave MacLean, in concert on why he mostly plays 'happy' blues

Author Topic: Re: Ukulele purchase  (Read 3492 times)

Offline cmr

• Geological Sciences (work)
Re: Ukulele purchase
« on: August 11, 2005, 10:38:24 PM »
Sandy's advice was to find? an old vintage Martin Ukulele (1950-1960s).? I realized that it would take some time finding one.? ?Since something is better than nothing, I purchased a new Martin? S-0 Soprano Ukulele.? I can always selll it later, but at least I have something for now.? Its sooo small, compared to my guitar. Charlie R.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 08:08:30 AM by uncle bud »

Offline thumbstyle

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 12:11:31 AM »
Bernunzio (www.bernunzio.com) has a pretty good selection of ukes, including some vintage Martins (and check out the Lyon and Healys too). They seem to have the best selection of the places I checked online (Elderly, Mando Bros, Gryphon).

Dave
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 08:08:46 AM by uncle bud »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 08:14:19 AM »
Bernunzio has some nice stuff. The one you have on hold there, Dave, looks nice. I notice someone has gone for the pearwood camp uke as well. Some tempting ukes there. The Martins are a bit pricey though for starters, I'd think.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 08:25:41 AM »
If you are new to Ukes, you might also want to try some at a music store.... if only for the scale length.  Soprano scale lengths are about 13.5-14.0 and Concert ukes are about 14.5-15.0  - this seemingly small difference made a big difference to me in playability.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 08:28:29 AM »
Slack, the playability difference was what exactly? Fingers had more room on the fretboard?

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 08:31:51 AM »
Slack, the playability difference was what exactly? Fingers had more room on the fretboard?

Exactly.  Sopranos were OK for me in first postion -- but up the neck it got tough for me to cram my fingers into the right places.

ukulady

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 09:20:53 AM »
Favilla is another good maker of vintage ukes.  I'm so glad you guys aren't getting Flukes!!

I'm going to post some info I sent to Chris and Dave re: learning the uke in the Jam Session board.  ~sandy

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 11:05:31 AM »
Gryphon sometimes has vintage ukulele's if anyone see's anything there that they are interested in I can go check it out for you. Vintage ukulele (and ukulele's in general) seem to go a bit high on eBay. Although I have the utmost respect for Flea Market Music, Flukes and Fleas don't have the sound I like. If you would like to try a ukulele without a large investment the Bushman Jenny's and the Lanikai (Hohner) brands are good starter ukulele's. I started with a Tangi because my first encounter with a ukukele was in Honolulu.
I have tenors a Tangi 4 and Kamaka 8 string 17"scale. Someone gave me a Hilo Soprano 13 3/4" scale but my fingers don't fit well on it.

If anyone is interested in ukulele stuff I have found over the years PM me.
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline cmr

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 02:33:56 PM »
OK everyone.  After I  purchased the new Martin uke, I found a 1940s (?) Uke for sale.  The price was within $50 of a new one.  Ugh...

The seller collects ukes.  Del Rey mentioned that I stop by and visit the collector, but I  forgot about it until  I arrived back in town.   The seller is not sure about the year, but based on the condition and color, he thinks that its a pre-1960 Uke.  What should I do?  I can not return my new one, even though I just purchased it yesterday.  Suggestions... Charlie R.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 02:39:08 PM »
Buy it and send your other one to me...  :P

You could try it, if you love it, buy it, then sell your new one. If people say eBay is commanding high uke prices perhaps you'd do well there.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 05:15:21 PM »
I agree with UB, if the Uke sounds good to you(not every old Martin Uke is a winner) - buy it -- you can always sell the S-O on ebay.

Offline cmr

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 05:31:25 PM »
I am convinced.  The vintage uke sounds very good, actually better than the new one.  So, I will throw caution to the wind and purchase the vintage instrument.  What am I getting into here?  Soon I will have as many instruments as other weenies.  Ugh...  Charlie

Offline thumbstyle

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2005, 01:18:52 AM »
? Soon I will have as many instruments as other weenies.

You say that like it's a bad thing.  ;)

Offline cmr

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2005, 08:12:59 AM »
Thumbstyle: My comment is based more on my guitar playing ability versus number of intruments.  Charlie

Offline thumbstyle

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2005, 08:43:00 PM »
Hey All,

Thought I'd report on the 1920's Lyon & Healy uke I received yesterday from Bernunzio.  So far I'm lovin' it!  It arrived in fine condition (and no surprises wrt to its advertised condition), and after some fiddling to get the strings up to tension and in tune, I found it to sound and play great -- it's surprisingly loud.  It sounds (to my untrained ear) comparable to Sandy's 50's Martin I tried at PT.

I will say that it is very small. I'm not so much having trouble making my fingers fit (but I can see what Slack means about trying a larger instrument), but without a strap it is a challenge to find a way to hold it and play properly.  I imagine it's just a matter of getting used to it. 

Anyway, I'm pretty jazzed about this little axe (hatchet?).  And uke tuning takes you to new places -- since the 4th string and the 1st are only a whole step apart, you can get into some interesting cross-picked stuff alternating between them.

Cheers,
Dave

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal