collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"A lot of people think the blues is depressing" she told The Los Angeles Times in 1992, "but that's not the blues I'm singing. When I'm singing blues, I'm singing life. People that can't stand to listen to the blues, they've got to be phonies" - Etta James

Author Topic: Help with figuring something out  (Read 545 times)

Offline Gourd_44

• Howdy!
Help with figuring something out
« on: May 03, 2021, 11:27:18 AM »
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not, but here goes nothing. I've been lurking around weenie for the past year or so, and I keep seeing this "pitch" thing popping up, is it referring to the pitch of the singing? Am I missing something? 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Help with figuring something out
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 11:46:09 AM »
Hi Gourd_44,
Yes, "pitch", as it appears in tables showing what playing position a guitarist played a song in, showcases the possible difference between the key in which a rendition sounded, and was sung, and the position that the guitarist used to play the song. A couple of examples may help to clarify the distinction.
   * A guitarist who played a song in Spanish tuning, tuned to an Open G chord, at concert pitch, but capoed to the fifth fret, would be classified as playing the song in Spanish tuning, but with a "pitch" or "key" of C, by virtue of being capoed to the fifth fret.
   * A guitarist in standard tuning, at concert pitch, capoed to the sixth fret, but playing out of E position, which means fingering an E chord as it is played at the base of the neck, would be classified as playing in E position, standard tuning, but at a "pitch" or "key" of Bb.

I hope this answers your question.

All best,
Johnm 

Tags: theory/analysis 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal