collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

You got some dirty people in all walks of life. Look at the politicians and people like that. Look at the things they have to cover up and sweep under the rug, and why in the hell should a musician be any better? - Johnny Shines, in Sounds Good To Me by Barry Lee Pearson

Author Topic: My new Favilla F5  (Read 3624 times)

Offline Rockdale

My new Favilla F5
« on: October 13, 2011, 07:49:57 PM »
Do any of you have any experience with or knowledge of Favilla guitars? I got 1948 Favilla F5 guitar today and was trying to get some more information on it. I was told it was a solid Honduran mahogany body and neck with a Brazilian rosewood bridge and fingerboard. I've never heard of these guitars before but it sounds great for fingerpicking. Any help would be much appreciated.

I tried to put some pics on here but couldn't get it to work. I think they may have been too large.

Offline SouthernSounds

Re: My new Favilla F5
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 08:37:08 PM »
Hi Rockdale:

I don't have any experience with that lady, but here you have a couple of opinions about her...

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228654

Kindly, B.
"I have nothing against the progress, but when the death progresses I prefer to live Indian" - El Patara, Arak Pacha

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 11:24:15 AM »
Favilla was a small made in NY guitar manufacturer who put out all mahogany guitars almost exclusively. They were in all the NY stores right up next to the Martins, Gibsons, Guilds et-all and were usually cheaper than any of those. They were neither terrible or very inspiring. They generally were a cut above Harmony, and that ilk. They were fairly handsome guitars (just saw one the other day in fact) exhibiting excellent craftsmanship. The necks were a little chunkier than I like and they often had a "classical" feel.
They were the choice more of hobbyists and beginners rather than pros. I always wanted to like them more than i ended up doing. It would not surprise me to learn that some of them have matured into excellent instruments however, what with that solid red mahogany and their solid build quality.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline ejkauf99

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 05:10:21 AM »
Rockdale:  I also have what I believe to be a 48 F5.  I guess you could say that I'm very familiar with it and some other Favilla's.
I own three, and I like them because they are just honest hand made guitars.  Nothing fancy.  Not Bad/not great.  Being less pricey they did not get much respect from players and are often found in rough shape.  My first Job was down the block
from Tom Favilla's store in South Huntington.  He was in the process of slowing the business down and getting more into electronics, and computers.  Other than just listening to him speak about guitars the coolest part of the store was the front window which as I remember showcased  parlor, and harp guitars that just blew my mind.  I purchased my F5 off E Bay, and I received the guitar pretty much crushed.  Out of respect for the instrument I decided not to turn it in for the postal insurance, but to repair it.  I was working for Mirabella guitars at the time so I had a great shop at my disposal.  I took the back of only to find that most of the fan bracing was broken or loose.  This was removed, and the decision was made to X brace it.  A few days after I started to play it my nine year old knocked it over snapping off the headstock.  Again it was repaired.  The guitar lives on a stand where it can always be in reach, and it is now her go to guitar because as she says it has mojo.  I would love to see a few pictures if you would like to send them to me at Zygek@optonline.net.  I can also send a few.  I have a feeling that after a certain time most Favilla bodies were constructed the same and later fitted with either a steel string, or classical neck as desired since they were made with dovetailed necks.
Ed

Offline Sofia87

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 12:53:30 AM »
I had one of these a few years back. I was still under the spell of a 30's 0-17 that I traded for a Larrivee and wanted to get some of that all hog bit back. The one I got (for next to nothing) needed a lot of work and I just never bonded to it tho it had the marks of age and great tone. Recently I had some work done on a guitar at a local lutherie and hanging on the wall, for sale and all fixed up by the shop, was one of these. Big fattish neck. Sounded killer. But the moment has passed and the money is gone so I can't buy it.

Tags: Favilla 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal