collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Seems like you bald-headed women could show me a little hair sometime - Lightnin' Hopkins, Bald Headed Woman

Author Topic: Kazoos!  (Read 5018 times)

Offline CF

Kazoos!
« on: August 17, 2006, 08:30:24 AM »
I've been playing kazoo for a number of years now & I've been having trouble finding one that holds up. I tend to buy the plastic Hohner (?) ones from my local music store but what do other kazooists recommend? I remember picking up a metal kazoo, an 'American Kazoo' perhaps. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 08:32:58 AM by Slack »
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Blue Poodle

• Kill it, Kid.
Kazoos!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 04:57:13 PM »
This is not an endorsement, but these look interesting:

http://www.thekazooguy.com/

All the world loves a lover, but a lover doesn't always love love.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Re: Kazoos!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 12:42:00 PM »
Yes... I bought (dare I admit it  :-X ) a metal one in a music shop in Oxford very recently... if you are in the UK and want the info email me or something and I'll find out the name... I know they do mail order!!
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 12:34:10 PM »
This is now heading down the path of the sort of things guitarist's talk about, like the black plastic picks are better than the white ones........ or worse still, in the drummers world, the age of the cow the batter head came from   :P  we'll be onto tennis racquets next  :-X
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 07:43:20 PM »
Well, don't buy the ones made by "The Original Kazoo Company". They suck. And the replacement membranes they sell suck, too, so don't think you can resurrect an old one with a broken membrane with their product. And the funny thing is the kazoos they now make have a crimped membrane cover, not the screw in cover of old, so you can't even change the membrane without bending it all up. The tin body is much lighter weight and bends somewhat when you mouth it a bit hard. Whimpy buzz, too.

Fortunately, I have one I had purchased as a teen in the '60s. One of the red and blue ones. I offered it to Buzz Wise as an alternative to his fairly modern one and he was pretty amazed at the difference. Much easier to get the buzz going and way louder. As yet I can't get the membrane cover off as it seems to be corroded a bit, but when I do I'm essentially going to try to find the right material to make my own membranes. I always thought it was waxed paper but someone told me they thought it was fish skin?!?. The ones I bought were like loose cellophane and seemed really muted.

I'll keep you posted of any further developments in my research.-G-

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 09:08:51 PM »
Listen to the kazoo in some of Tampa Red's Hokum Boys stuff. Like on the version of Mama Don't "Low (No Easy Ridin' 'Round Here) sung (with flair) by Frankie "Half Pint" Jaxon. for some imaginative kazooing. All round killer version with a hot jug solo, too.

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 08:27:38 PM »
Okay, I'm gonna break down and tell you my source.  guess I've picked up enough of the old red and blue ones and it's really a question of finding the right material and making my own membranes. But having a few old working ones really will help.

Ebay. Where else. It's really like walking into every antique/junk store in the land.

Search for "kazoo". You'll have to weed through Fishing reels and lures, the Katie Kazoo books, Kazoo strings, various LPs with Kazoo in the title, sleeping bags, lots of the crappy new ones, etc., but there are usually one or two of the old ones. Make sure to get ones that work and ask if it doesn't say so.

There are also other older kazoo toys that come up, like the Kazooed Bazooka, which has a sliding horn sorta like a straight trombone that does absolutely nothing to the sound (yeah, I got one). There are new versions of the kazoo trumpet, trombone and French horn, by the "Original" company that all are just plastic add ons that do nothing to the sound(I didn't bother). Right now there is an old kazoo toy where the kazoo goes into a long tin box that has a foot high caricature with loose legs that dances when you pull a little trigger. The character is a black faced minstrel. Already over $60 bucks so I don't think I'm gonna bid on it.-G-

Hope you get one with good tone.

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

crawley

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 11:25:30 PM »
Hey, I'll tell you what. I have several of those tin red and gold kazoos you get at the toy store. Each one sounds a different from the next. They all sound good enough to me, but one of 'em sounds pretty darn good. It may be a quality control thing. I've never played an old one like Waxwing speaks of. I can only imagine they would sound better than mine, but it's just like everything else. It's all about technique and affordability. Buy a few from the toy shop. They're like $3.00 a piece. Go from there.
-H.M.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 03:07:23 PM »
I never thought I'd live to see the day when 'kazoo' and 'quality control' appeared in the same paragraph . . .

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 09:01:05 AM »
As long as we're discussing harmonicas, I'd like to add to the conversation by posing a question about the wind instrument equivalent of the Banjo...The Kazoo! (pace Frankie)>
It seems they're all generic and of varying Kazoo-ness. Anyone know of an actual "brand" that actually has a consistently "good" sound?
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 09:27:06 AM »
M. O'Muck, I merged your query with an earlier kazoo thread that might be of some help. Basically, you need to get into the vintage kazoo market. The good thing, they're much cheaper than Gibsons.

I'm sure someone will come along with more up-to-date kazooology.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 09:38:04 AM »
Any zobo players out there?

Offline westside ryan

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 10:11:14 AM »
As long as we're discussing harmonicas, I'd like to add to the conversation by posing a question about the wind instrument equivalent of the Banjo...The Kazoo! (pace Frankie)>
It seems they're all generic and of varying Kazoo-ness. Anyone know of an actual "brand" that actually has a consistently "good" sound?
I don't know much about kazoos, but when I used to work in a music shop I'd sell a lot of the plastic Hohner Kazoos.  We carried some more expensive metal kazoos, but people seemed to think that the plastic Hohners were better.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 10:21:53 AM »
O'Muck, you need to get into the vintage kazoo restoration bidness.    :P

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1&_nkw=vintage+kazoo&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone had a source for ladder-braced kazoos, as were used in the early days of the Country Blues.  I believe it's the only way to get an authentic kazoo tone.
All best,
Johnm

Tags: kazoo 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal