collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
There's one thing about this woman that I don't understand. Always go to bed with a icepick in her hand. - Brownie McGhee, Dealing With the Devil

Author Topic: motmot putting it out there  (Read 5403 times)

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
Re: motmot putting it out there
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2004, 03:16:31 PM »
Tom - sounds great.? It seems you are plenty busy, but any chance of recording and posting some tidbits of this on the Back Porch?? I'd love to hear it.

Tom

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2004, 03:49:34 PM »
As for the lights on the National, replace them. The heavier guage will be just fine for non-slide playing. You'll never go back...

For years I put heavy gauge strings on my 00-18 -- but in those days I played with a thumbpick and three metal fingerpicks, and I felt like THE CLAW.? I don't really want to go back to fingerpicks, but I'll up the gauge on the National.
Cheers,
Tom

I don't think you'll need to go to fingerpicks with medium guages on the National (.013 and .017) if you were only using lights before. With 90 minute sets under your belt your fingers can surely take it!

Offline motmot

• Some said it's beans, some said it's greens
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2004, 06:08:24 AM »
<. . . snip . . . >any chance of recording and posting some tidbits of this on the Back Porch?? I'd love to hear it.

I've been reading with interest about the lessons you and others learn from recording yourselves, and have been thinking I need to start doing that.  After all, if I can break the barrier of performing solo (and thus inflict myself on an audience), I oughtta have the nerve to listen to myself carefully.

Unfortunately, all my recording devices are cassette, which limits my posting capability.  Maybe Santa will bring something other than neckties this year.  (On the other hand, I used up a fair amount of chits wangling this flashy National guitar.)

cheers,
Tom (still sheepish about Eyes of the World: sheesh!)
... but it's a slow consumption, killing me by degrees

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2004, 06:59:50 AM »
While posting would be great as we'd all love to hear some of those setlists, just recording yourself on plain old cassette and listening back seems to me a good exercise. For me it's a chance to check all sorts of things: oh, I'm singing that flat, I never nail that hammer-on, my slide intonation is off etc. It's always humbling somehow... :P

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal