collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Kiss me dear till I feel the string, make me want to shake that thing. Give me everything and how - if you are man, then show it now - Mary Dixon, Papa You Got Everything

Author Topic: trouble getting WC to load  (Read 6185 times)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
trouble getting WC to load
« on: July 03, 2006, 12:01:34 PM »
Don't know if anyone else has this problem - but it's been taking increasing amounts of time for the home page to load on my computer. Could be something to do with the antivirus programme, which is new, but I don't have an issue with any other frequently visited sites. Anybody else had this??

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
Re: trouble getting WC to load
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 12:24:22 PM »
the first time I try to load any WC page, it takes a real long time.  Subsequent clicks within WC never take as long.  That's with two browsers (IE and Mozilla), different computers, networks, etc.  It's kind of odd.

tom

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 01:46:59 PM »
I've noticed the slow loading alos --- I'll see what I can find out -- see if otehr installations are having similar problems.

Thanks.

Offline SteveMcBill

• This too shall pass! So grab it while you can!
    • Steve Mc's Acoustic Guitar
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 03:11:01 PM »
Yes, I also have noticed the unusual slowness for a few days now (about a week ?) and just assumed it was my machine/browser BUT I must admit that none of the other sites I visit has experienced a similar slow-down !

Cheers

Steve

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 06:55:03 PM »
Have had the slow load here as well. Not just on initial load, pretty much on every page. It's not a huge delay, but definitely slower than most pages.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 01:48:34 AM »
What do you guys expect?  It runs on wind-up phonograph technology at 78 rpm.  Poor old Slack is probably running on a treadmill to provide the power as well...

:)
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 05:30:03 AM »
Hi guys:

I've been to Weenie Central and seen Slacks setup. It is run by treadmill, with beerhoulders. Powered by reindeer.

Alex

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 10:24:59 AM »
I suppose that explains it - but how about amphetamines for the reindeer. I'm losing the will to live waiting for the home page to load!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 10:45:12 AM »
Professor, do you have a broadband connection or Dial Up?

boots

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 11:59:38 AM »
I suppose that explains it - but how about amphetamines for the reindeer. I'm losing the will to live waiting for the home page to load!
I agree it is slow, but not suicidely so.

Offline SteveMcBill

• This too shall pass! So grab it while you can!
    • Steve Mc's Acoustic Guitar
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 01:44:34 PM »
Slack

I'm on 2Mb broadband and the Home page is taking approx 15-16 seconds to load and further pages between 7 and 12 seconds.

Hope that helps

Steve

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 01:53:27 PM »
it's funny, since I don't seem to be having the same experience as some.  When I first go to the WC home page, I get the "loading WC.com" screen very quickly, but it sits on that for a real long time - probably the 15 seconds Steve says - before the home page actually loads.  But once I'm "in", page clicks don't seem noticeably slow.

all broadband, BTW.

tom

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 02:29:16 PM »
I have always found the site slow to load - I'm used to it now!
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 05:47:15 PM »
it's funny, since I don't seem to be having the same experience as some.  When I first go to the WC home page, I get the "loading WC.com" screen very quickly, but it sits on that for a real long time - probably the 15 seconds Steve says - before the home page actually loads.  But once I'm "in", page clicks don't seem noticeably slow.

all broadband, BTW.

This is my experience too Tom.  slow on initial loading - then it is fine.

Looks like UK has a different experience (and Richard, we tested your "broadband" connection -- which, you'll have to admit, pretty much junk.  :) )

I'm talking to my host to see if he has any ideas.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 08:02:33 AM »
After my facetious comments above, a serious one now: yes, I suppose it does take time to load initially.  Thinking about it, I always reckoned this had something to do with the Weenie system searching for the cookie that identifies who is logging on(?)  That must delay matters a bit.  If I am honest, I always accepted the slight delay because I assumed this was what was happening.

???
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 08:12:18 AM »
Can anyone remember at what point the site seems to load slow?  2 weeks ago, a month ago?

Not sure it is cookie related -- one way to test is to logout out and laod the site and see if it takes just as long.  It seems to me a database reading lag -- for reasons unknown at this time.

I run a same configured test site at bloozbox.com - it does not have all the data that WC has  -- and it loads in a much shorter period of time.  If you all would like to time the difference between the loading of the two similarly configured sites -- that might help.

The ISP and I are still kicking ideas around...

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 08:33:50 AM »
John:

To the best of my recollection the slow loading started 1.5 to 2 months ago. Very noticable change.

Alex

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 08:43:57 AM »
Thanks Alex,

Also, do folks agree that the slow down is mostly within the Content Management System (Joomla) and not in the forum?  In other words -- do the menu functions: Home, Lessons, Reviews, News, Web Links seem to load slow, whereas navigating around the forum seems fine?

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 09:09:36 AM »
I probably agree Slack, but nothing is ever as slow as the initial load of whatever WC page - I usually link into "unread posts", not the home page. 

I agree that I probably noticed that I could read an email or two while waiting for WC to load about a month or two ago.  Just kind of lived with it, wasn't sure if it was my imagination.

Curiously, I did seem to lose connection to my cookie today, and had to log in again.  SPOO-ky!

tom

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 11:24:20 AM »
Today seemed a lot better. By the way, my slow loading problems were more in the order of a  couple of minutes, with 2MB broadband. The fifteen seconds or so delay is live-able with, and I always put that down to the fact that the home page is quite 'busy' with content. Anyway, I've tried twice today and both times the page appeared after 5 seconds. Whatever you've done, thanks!!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 12:46:16 PM »
Anyway, I've tried twice today and both times the page appeared after 5 seconds. Whatever you've done, thanks!!

Ouch, 2 minutes.  Well, I've been trying a few things - so we'll knock on html and hope that I've hit upon the solution.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2006, 10:03:03 AM »
It's fine now - whatever you did, it worked! Thanks again.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2006, 10:14:08 AM »
Great!  Thanks for the followup...

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2006, 10:21:56 AM »
BTW, our host tells me that weeniecampbell uses the majority of the servers resources on the machine we are on. I don't know how many other sites reside on the same machine -- but y'awl are doing good!   ;D

(he also tells me our use is not unreasonable --- yet! )

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2006, 11:08:53 AM »
I didn't think anything was particularly slow but it must have been - loading pages and navigation so much quicker. Don't know what you did but perhaps it should be a "housekeeping" regular. ::)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2006, 12:53:14 PM »
Don't know what you did but perhaps it should be a "housekeeping" regular.

Great, I'm glad it is running much better.... and it seems to have affected you UK guys more than nayone else.

At the risk of telling you more than you want to know... I think the problem was with a statistic program I enabled.  Not sure why I enabled it as I seldom look at the stats! So, I turned it off - which prevents the system from sending lots of queries to the database.

Live and learn.   :D

boots

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2006, 01:10:34 PM »

(he also tells me our use is not unreasonable --- yet! )

We're working on it. :)

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2006, 02:59:29 PM »
must be an overseas thing, since I don't actually notice a difference!  Maybe that first page has always been that slow and I just am gettin more impatient...

tom

Red Dog

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2006, 11:31:22 AM »
Hey---  Do you think Rumsfelm and Cheney just want to know what kind of tunes you guys are listening to???  ;>)

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal