collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It ain't none of my business but it don't seem right. Take another man's woman and play yo yo, play yo yo all night - Barbecue Bob Hicks, Yo Yo Blues

Author Topic: Started a new YouTube channel  (Read 760 times)

Offline crustypicker

• Howdy!
Started a new YouTube channel
« on: May 27, 2021, 01:10:28 AM »
Hey gang, finally decided to start a YouTube channel if any of y’all want to check it out. I’m gonna keep making more videos but I got a few up of me and the lady playing tunes. Let me know what y’all think. I’m not gonna try to be a perfectionist about it it’s just for fun but I think there are some good moments. Any way let me know what you think. I figure I’ve gotten a lot of inspiration from the weenie community and Ivedecided to try to give some back. Cheers! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCuBUR_etLKOOZ5Ex96sJ9uw

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Started a new YouTube channel
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 02:24:03 AM »
The combination of National and cello is a winner!

Offline crustypicker

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 02:36:45 AM »
Thanks I like the combo too. She uses a bass bow to get a little extra “womp” in there. Pretty fun stuff though been having fun learning these raggy jazz tunes.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 12:57:24 PM »
Hi crustypicker,
I enjoyed the performances you posted, and agree with Prof Scratchy that you and the cellist really sound good together. You have a nice feel and energy for the material you've selected--it really suits you. Well done! By the way, if you're looking for more material on which the cello would really suit, seek out Leecan & Cooksey's recording of "Shortnin' Bread"--it's die-happy stuff.
All best,
Johnm

Offline tmylet

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 06:16:11 AM »
Great stuff! My long suffering partner and I have been whiling away the lockdown playing cello/mandolin: Bessie Smith, Miss. Sheiks, Charlie Poole, Al Miller, et. al. Although her approach is more Jug than cello we've been looking around similar musical corners. Looking forward to more....
Dr. Tommy

Offline crustypicker

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 09:36:14 AM »
Thanks, ya the cello is great because it could take wonderful leads or it can sound very juggy but precise. John I’ve decided to try and take on “shortnin bread” by leecan and cooksey, but boy is it shaping up to be a tough cookie. Amazing how it sounds definitely like one of their easiest tunes and it’s still stomping me. Granted I am trying to do the harmonica and the guitar part at the same time. Gonna end up having to sacrifice some of the complexities . What is up with that ending though?  that is like the craziest barrage of notes I’ve ever heard I have no idea where to even start with that ending also I will have to change the lyrics a bit because I’m not gonna sing those outdated lyrics here’s what I got so far.
                                                       Shortnin bread:
“see the picaninny laying in the bed he’ll(?) crack open that shortnin bread, I love my shortnin,shortnin I love my shortnin bread x2.”

“I like hot I like it cold I like it if it’s warm or bold, I love my shortnin shortnin I love my shortnin bread x2”

“Cows in the cow pen the hogs are fed, front of the house get my lovin shortnin bread, I love my shortnin shortnin I love my shortnin bread x2”

This is a very cool song I love all the different things happening all at once through out it all. Taylor(the cellist) got the cello break already and it’s sounding pretty good. I figure I’ll just change that line to maybe “see that little baby laying in the bed”. Still pretty difficult to play both parts so I’ll keep working on it for while until I feel I’ve adapted a suitable version. I think Bobby leecan is the root of all my fears it keeps me up at night. Let me know if you have any suggestions on figuring out the ending I can hear the harmonica part pretty good but there is something funny happening with that guitar.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 11:16:39 AM »
Hi crustypicker,
Bobby Leecan is working out of C position in standard tuning for "Shortnin' Bread". He likes to walk down on the sixth string to the low E note, he keeps doing that. When he hits a C# in the bass, which suggests a C#dim7 chord, I believe he is just moving his C chord position up one fret intact--Pink Anderson did the very same thing in similar contexts. As for the concluding run, I wouldn't worry about it, unless you have your heart set on playing it. It's kind of a "gimmick" run. You could make up anything that suggested a diminished 7 arpeggio and it would have much the same sound. Best of luck with the tune.
All best,
Johnm

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal