collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It's a long way to Temporary, the sweetest place I know - Mance Lipscomb

Author Topic: Miller's Breakdown  (Read 246739 times)

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Miller's Breakdown
« Reply #1785 on: January 26, 2018, 08:17:43 AM »
Thanks for the good words, Old Man Ned.  I agree, that E7 voicing is a definite winner!
All best,
Johnm

Offline harriet

« Reply #1786 on: January 27, 2018, 06:07:45 AM »
I really like and found useful the well put comments on vocal phrasing in John Millers answer, so thought I'd say thanks -

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1787 on: January 27, 2018, 12:19:20 PM »
Thanks for the good words, Harriet.

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1788 on: February 06, 2018, 04:14:51 PM »
Hi all,
It seems like a new set of puzzlers is overdue, and I have some for those of you who are interested.  The song is from Mississippi musician Charles Caldwell, who was featured near the beginning of this thread, and it is his song "I Know I Done You Wrong".  Here it is:

INTRO

I'm sorry, girl, I done you wrong, best of friends, sometime, have to part
Said, I know, I know I done you wrong, says, I know, I know I done you wrong

Give me water when I'm thirsty, whiskey when I'm dry, I need a good girl to love, girl, I need her before I die
Says, I know, I know I done you wrong, says, I know I know I done you wrong

I'm sorry, girl, I done you wrong, best of friends, sometime, they have to part (Spoken: All right)
Says, I know, I know I done you wrong

The questions on "I Know I Done You Wrong" are:
   * What playing position/tuning did Charles Caldwell use to play the song?
   * Where is he playing what he is playing in the bass and in the treble as he opens the song?
   * Where does he fret the line he plays twice under his singing of the refrain, from :52--1:00?

Please use only your ears and your guitars to arrive at your answers, and please don't post any answers before 8:00 AM your time on Friday, February 9.  Thanks for your participation, and I hope you enjoy Charles Caldwell's "I Know I Done You Wrong".

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 09:49:43 AM by Johnm »

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1789 on: February 10, 2018, 09:02:17 AM »
Hi all,
Any takers for the Charles Caldwell puzzlers?  Come one, come all--answer every question or just one!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #1790 on: February 10, 2018, 12:33:02 PM »
seems to sound in Fm
i'm guessing capo'd up one in standard so playing around the 'Em' chord shape
BUT there's a curios looseness to the string sound that worries me :)
the opening lick is
6th open
4th string at the 5th fret and 3rd string open
5th string at 7
2nd at 5
1st at 4
2nd at 5

the lick under from 52s is
4th string open then hammer on at 2
3rd string open 2 slide to 4 open 2 pull off
4th string 2 pull off 2

Offline Thomas8

• oooh well well.
« Reply #1791 on: February 10, 2018, 02:02:46 PM »
Dropped d

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #1792 on: February 11, 2018, 04:02:13 AM »
   * What playing position/tuning did Charles Caldwell use to play the song? - Drop D
   * Where is he playing what he is playing in the bass and in the treble as he opens the song? -Strikes 6th string then alternates between 4th and 6th strings. Against this he bends a D shape at the fifth fret, ending first time round on the bent 6th fret of the second string, and the second time round on the fifth fret of the first string. When he resumes after the percussive break, it?s what he does next that gives the minor feel that Gumbo identifies. He seems to go on after the bent D shape at the fifth fret to fret the first fret of the first and second strings, then : 2str 1>3; 1str 1; 2str 3
   * Where does he fret the line he plays twice under his singing of the refrain, from :52--1:00? - not sure, but  it seems to involve the notes D F G  A G F DD
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:09:00 AM by Prof Scratchy »

Offline Gumbo

« Reply #1793 on: February 11, 2018, 06:11:46 AM »
Dropped d

And Prof Scratchy concurs!
I think I remember why I stopped doing these for a while. I'm probably tone deaf!

Offline Thomas8

• oooh well well.
« Reply #1794 on: February 11, 2018, 08:50:21 AM »
To be fair to you, we did discuss this one over a cup of tea the day before  ;)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #1795 on: February 11, 2018, 08:51:04 AM »
Don?t count on me, Gumbo! I?m wrong more than I?m right on these! Keep participating at all costs, otherwise it?s lonely for the rest of us!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Gumbo

« Reply #1796 on: February 11, 2018, 10:11:35 AM »
thanks folks, it's all good and the point is I think you're right. there's this niggling feeling that i couldn't make the opening riff work so i put it somewhere else rather than go down the "oh oh! retune!" road. I seem to have a lot invested in 'only in standard'! :)

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #1797 on: February 11, 2018, 01:04:52 PM »
Bit late coming to this as my ears have been blocked up with a heavy cold.  I'm hearing Dropped D tuning and the open 4th and 6 strings in the bass being played off against a D shape at the 5th fret, bending the 6th fret 2nd string at the start of the tune.

Not attempting the last question as my heads still mince and I need to go to the medicine cabinet to find the bottle labelled single malt.

All the best, Ned

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #1798 on: February 12, 2018, 05:29:20 AM »
Thought vasteerpol at first but I too have arrived at drop D.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1799 on: February 12, 2018, 08:39:57 PM »
   * What playing position/tuning did Charles Caldwell use to play the song? - Drop D
   * Where is he playing what he is playing in the bass and in the treble as he opens the song? -Strikes 6th string then alternates between 4th and 6th strings. Against this he bends a D shape at the fifth fret, ending first time round on the bent 6th fret of the second string, and the second time round on the fifth fret of the first string. When he resumes after the percussive break, it?s what he does next that gives the minor feel that Gumbo identifies. He seems to go on after the bent D shape at the fifth fret to fret the first fret of the first and second strings, then : 2str 1>3; 1str 1; 2str 3
   * Where does he fret the line he plays twice under his singing of the refrain, from :52--1:00? - not sure, but  it seems to involve the notes D F G  A G F DD

Actually, Scratchy, the minor sound is already there with the D form slid up three frets. If you remember Johnm's thread about just such a device, when you move the Major triad up 3 frets you get the m7 chord, with the root in the bass, and the notes covered on the 2nd and 3rd strings are identical to the  notes at the 1st fret of the 1st and 2nd strings, only you have a little room to bend them back toward the Major. Cool.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal