collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Mama whip, mama spank, if her daddy don't come home - Mamie Smith in dominatrix mode

Author Topic: Sleeper bargain of the century?  (Read 4062 times)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Sleeper bargain of the century?
« on: July 28, 2010, 07:04:07 AM »
Before you go spending big bucks on an aged parlor guitar or an expensive new one, check out this $250. Canadian
made guitar from Art & Lutherie (stupid name but what can you do). They could certainly make it better looking with a little more attention to the headstock and a belly-less bridge but it is not unattractive in the flesh and the sound is mind bending for the price. This is one of the best guitars I've ever played for slide, (bag that National you were thinking about), and is just dandy for everything else, bright, vibrant with surprising sustain. I couldn't get it out of my mind. Made another 45 minute car trip yesterday in part to play it again. Even this much money is too much for me these days, particularly as I don't really NEED another guitar ( I own 6 ), but part of me feels almost OBLIGATED to buy one just because its such a crazy good deal!
http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/amicedarantiquebst.html
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Sleeper bargain of the century?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 04:30:23 PM »
Hi Phil,
Does your friend carry those guitars at his store in NYC?  Sounds like a good match.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 05:34:51 PM »
Jump on it, Phil--or else you'll be kicking yourself in the ass for who knows how long for not striking while the iron is hot. If it's the bargain that you say it is, you'll always be able to get your money back if need be.

There was a similar thread over at IGS earlier this month:

http://www.guitarseminars.com/gs/viewtopic.php?t=5319

The Canadian builders do some nice work.

What was $250 in 1927 dollars?

Edited to add:

I found the answer: It was $20.49.

FYI: http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:41:40 PM by Stuart »

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 05:54:19 PM »
I'll have to call Rick and see if he carries these suckers John. You've gotta try one if you can. I'm curious to get your take. Great story on the other forum Stuart, looks like a great guitar. My situation is complicated at the moment and I can't just go out & drop 250, more's the pity. But vicarious living is OK by me so just cause I can't, don't mean you should be deprived. I googled reviews for this guitar and found confirmation pretty much on the features I mentioned, a silly degree of sustain, big articulate sound, superb for slide and all around very, very good.

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 06:57:11 AM »

Where did you see this guitar for the actual price of $250? Or was that just the list price from A&L?

L

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 07:35:01 AM »
Why, have you seen it cheaper? I'm in Maine at the moment. Saw it in a music store up here. Actually its at Mainly Music in Ellsworth which is probably the closest music store to the Bar Harbor guitar intensive that John will be teaching at in August, about 35-45 minutes from Bar Harbor.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 02:21:28 PM »
Searched the Ami on youtube and found this video of a competent pop-blues player demonstrating the guitar. It gives an idea of this thing's sound.

Offline Michael Kuehn

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 06:25:38 PM »
I owned an Ami parlor -- all wood, great little guitar. Had to sell for purchase of another guitar, but regret it. I may still buy another. No 1-3/4" neck, but otherwise, O'Muck has it right -- Sleeper bargain, indeed. At the time, I think i paid $220 for it new. Incredible value.

Mike

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 07:27:39 AM »
I've had my hands on a couple of their Seagull brand, small-bodied acoustics and they were very respectable indeed. Again a solid top with laminate back and sides (I believe). One was kept as a standby studio guitar for use by visiting musicians.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Alexei McDonald

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 10:23:55 AM »
I spoke to one of the staff at Merchant City store in Glasgow this morning, who told me that the Art & Lutherie parlour guitar sells very well there, especially to backpackers, because it's both quite small and extremely loud.   They're also nearly double the US price at ?299.    ::)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 10:50:58 AM »

Offline Big River

• jamesclem.com
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »
One of my guitar students has an Art & Lutherie parlor guitar and they are nice. The only thing I don't like is the neck is pretty narrow at the nut. Very responsive tone. A lot of guitar for the money, but no one is going to trade in their Collings or Martin for one (well, what do you want for $250?). The Simon & Patrick version (about $100 more) is more upscale with a gloss lacquer finish and some other detailing (I think a bound peghead). Most Art & Lutherie models come in two versions, either a laminated top or a solid top so be careful! The solid top is only slightly more($25 or so).
A & L makes one of the great buys in 12 strings. They make a solid cedar top 12 string with a 2" wide neck that sounds really good in the $400-450 (out the door) price range. The 25" scale limits tuning too low but again, a nice playing and sounding instrument for the dough. Worth checking out.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 09:43:53 AM »
I almost bought this guitar right before I found my little Stella. They are very nice. Note that the finish is semi-gloss, and that they come with either spruce or cedar tops. The cedar top that I tried sounded very nice, but I've heard that they get nicks and scars very easily, so if you are fussy about such things, you've been warned.

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/specs.htm

The only thing I would have changed in the guitar I tried, were the nut and saddle. The nut was little off, putting the high E-string too close to the fretboard edge and I wasn't crazy on the matrial and looks either. No big thing, though.

Cheers

Pan

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 12:31:22 PM »
Welll they about ?220 here - a typical $\? rip off and the dealer for the UK does not exist for the email add given!
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 10:19:17 PM »
In my experience this kind of finish ages very nicely.This guitar is going to look much like an old Stella with 20-30 years of honest wear & tear. Now if we're talkin' DISHONEST wear n' tear (I used to make approximate copies of 17th century Dutch picture frames) a few hits with a bicycle chain, a day or two out in the rain, a rubdown with some Japan Black and light grade steel wool, a dip in an ice water bath or freezing stream, a light scrub with rottenstone and Bob's yer uncle as they say somewhere...
Effects may vary. :P

Offline Alexei McDonald

• Howdy!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 07:18:47 AM »
In my experience this kind of finish ages very nicely.This guitar is going to look much like an old Stella with 20-30 years of honest wear & tear. Now if we're talkin' DISHONEST wear n' tear (I used to make approximate copies of 17th century Dutch picture frames) a few hits with a bicycle chain, a day or two out in the rain, a rubdown with some Japan Black and light grade steel wool, a dip in an ice water bath or freezing stream, a light scrub with rottenstone and Bob's yer uncle as they say somewhere...
Effects may vary. :P

Are you sure you're not the hidden mastermind behind Fender's Road Worn guitar line?  ;D

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 07:58:44 PM »
I've got one of these I bought for travelling - fits in the overhead bin most of the time.   Cedar top.  Intonation is good.  But other than that, I'm not sure what you guys see in it.  Not that loud.  Tone - meh.  But I did buy it because I was sick of playing my Martin backpacker when travelling.  A big improvement over that!  Doesn't compete well in duet situation with a concert size or D size guitar.  I paid about $350 brand new, 5-6 years ago.  I think I overpaid, was a bit too eager.  Should have talked them down.

your mileage may vary.

Dave

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 09:30:14 PM »
My experience is that two supposedly same model guitars, same woods, same factory, built the same week, can end up sounding completely different. Intangibles.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal