collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
To make music is the essential thing. To listen to it is accessory - Charles Seeger

Author Topic: Looking for my first Resonator  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Guitbox Jonny

• The Right Pick Guitar Lessons
Looking for my first Resonator
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:04:13 AM »
Hello all!

I am hoping I can pull from all of your vast knowledge on a recommendation of a new/first resonator.  I am a Guitar teacher, and have been playing for 27 years.  For some reason I never pursued slide until now.  Let me know what you think.  Please let me know what to look for too.  I really appreciate all of your help!

Jonny
It is a dog eat dog world and I am eating milk-bone underpants...

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Re: Looking for my first Resonator
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 11:46:19 AM »
First off you don't need a resonator to play slide, most of the country blues slide players who  recorded played wood guitars. Next, what type of material are you wanting to play? Lastly, how much do you want  invest?

Once we know this I'm sure there is a fund of experience and advice available.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 11:49:39 AM »
Hullo and welcome...

As im sure you know, you dont NEED a reso for slide.  Ive almost come to the view I prefer flat tops personally.

First reso?  Two main factors- single or tricone, and whats the budget?  Single cones tend to be punchier, have less sustain, and some would say less suited to slide as a result (though i dont think thats necessarily true).

If you have a hefty budget then you cant go wrong with natonals.  If not, most of the budget end resos seem to be reasonable and similar  in quality these days.  If they are available in the states, the Michael Messer range are  very good (semi) budget range from what ive heard and seen.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 12:40:05 PM »
I would suggest a new National Reso-Phonic, if the budget permits. Warranty, and resale value if at some point it's not for you are considerations.

http://www.nationalguitars.com/

Since you're located in Naperville, IL, you should check out NRP dealers within striking distance and go and play as many as possible.

http://www.nationalguitars.com/dealers/map_usa/dealersmapusa.html

And play as many other resonators as possible. As mentioned, you don't need a resonator to play slide, but it's nice to have that option available. As you might expect, resonators have personalities all their own.

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 12:45:37 PM »
If National prove to be too rich for your wallet...I've heard good things about Republic Resos...I think they are made in the same factory as the MM resos mentioned above.

http://www.republicguitars.com/

Its not a national...but we can't all afford the real deal!

Cheers,

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 02:45:40 PM »
I'll just rush to get back on my hobby horse before I get shot at as I feel I am entering dangerous teritory when I mention that "National Resophonic" are what the it say's on the tin - a National Resophonic. The name is, as somebody once said to me is an amazing coincidence of marketing to the legendary prewar National brand. National Resphonic probably make the best product but do be clear it is at the end of the day, only a well made copy of a prewar National and you have to ask yourself if they were made in, say China, then would the venture be as successful as it has turned out?

That said, there are now a multitude of "brands" many from the same Chinese factories so go play a few and see what grabs you.

Rant over.

(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 04:28:58 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, Richard.

As I recall, both Don Young and McGregor Gaines, who founded National Reso-Phonic, worked for OMI when the Dopyeras were still there. Whether or not this made any difference re: their ability to build guitars based on the original National designs is something that I'm not qualified to comment on.

Jonny: Here are a few links:

http://www.catfishkeith.com/whyilovenationals.htm

http://www.bobbrozman.com/national.html

http://www.elderly.com/articles/dopyera/

They all sell NRPs, but be that as it may. You might find them useful sources of info.

Offline Guitbox Jonny

• The Right Pick Guitar Lessons
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 05:45:34 AM »
Thanks all so much!  I have some work to do. I know that you can play slide on a standard acoustic guitar, but I recently have started a love affair with traditional instuments, and there is nothing that quite sounds like a resonator.  I will check all this out.  Thanks for a solid starting point!

Jonny
It is a dog eat dog world and I am eating milk-bone underpants...

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 08:48:32 AM »
I'm a big fan of smaller bodied wood guitars with too high action for slide.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Great Bear

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 09:05:53 AM »
Vintage's metal bodied AMG1 and AMG2 (tri-cone) are both quite impressive. For the money they punch well above their weight.

Offline slimchancer

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 04:06:59 PM »
I think you have to decide if you just want a novelty experience, or if you want to invest for the long term. If it is the latter, then either research a vintage national (triolian more sus / Duaolian/single cone more poke, blues grit), or simply buy a national-resophonic re-issue. Do not confuse National-resophonic with Chinese resonators, as a previous reply would seem imply that there's no difference - there certainly is. A Nat Res has an attention to detail and build quality that is far superior to the far eastern efforts and it will hold value - I bought a National Resophonic two years ago and it has almost doubled in value - it's also a solid guitar that looks like it will easily out live me. However, if you just want a taste from time to time, and nothing wrong with that my friend, then I reckon the Republics offer good value and play rather well IMHO. Whatever you choose you're in for a lotta fun.

Slim

Offline Big River

• jamesclem.com
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 10:00:01 AM »
I would avoid the chinese National knock offs as they almost all sound really awful and most have very narrow necks. Okay, some people put better cones and various tweaks but you still have a cheesy, low budget axe that screams "my mother won't buy me a decent guitar!".
I've heard good things about Republics. Never played one. There is a thread under Gitfiddles on the forum about Nationals new Duolian reissues. One of my guitar students has one and they are sweet! Half the price of a vintage one, without the issues. The quality on these is outstanding. The  newer steel bodied National Tricones has a killer, gritty tone. I have one of these and a new German Silver Tricone. The German Silver has a much warmer tone than brass, but these new Nationals take forever to break in.
Some of the previous comments are right about not needing a reso for slide. In fact, is there anything more painful to listen to than some blues wannabee on a metal resonator who can't play slide in tune and won't damp the strings? Give him a wood guitar, please. My advice is buy a good quality guitar. It is an investment that will inspire you to play more and sound better at the same time.

Offline Lwoodblues

• Living the Blues
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 05:58:41 PM »
  I've had 3 resonators. I currently have 2. My absolute favorate is a Ron Phillips Tri-cone. My second favorite is, believe it or not a Johnson wood body single cone. With the Johnson (Chinese), you have to play it first. The Ron P., Just buy it. (They are expensive, but you will be happy).
Lwoodblues

Offline Big River

• jamesclem.com
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 12:40:41 PM »
I played a uke festival with Del Rey last year and she had a Ron Phillips uke and a single cone reso guitar. They both sounded amazing. That Tricone of yours must be something special. James

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 04:41:31 PM »
My absolute favorite is a Ron Phillips Tri-cone.

I'll second that. My Ron P Tricone is a cutaway--and a great guitar.

Offline pete12string

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 01:43:06 PM »
There's lot's of resophonic guitars out there that can fit all kinds of budgets and styles.  All of the ones mentioned are good choices.  I use a newer National Style 1 tricone, a National M2 wood body single-cone, and also have a Gold Tone Paul Beard Deluxe (spider bridge) that I use for "bluegrassy" type tunes.  The Nationals are great guitars, expensive, but great.  For the money, I found the Gold Tone to be an incredible value if the budget is kind of tight.  Happy hunting!   :D

Pete

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 01:53:36 PM »
The best advice I can offer is to play a lot of them before buying.

This will help you a) weed-out the junk, and b) understand the different types of sound available.

(continued later, I hate typing on a phone)

At the same time listen to the greats. Decide which of the different sounds you gravitate towards. Tampa Red (Sophisticated!) & Blind Boy Fuller (Pop! Slur! Rattle!) are two readily-available artists who seem to epitomize the metal tricone vs. single cone thing, to me anyway.

Maybe a good secondary question would be: Who among the greats would the weenies recommend listening to in order to decide on the sound I want? Who can I listen to that epitomizes the tricone v. single cone sound? Then you'll be better equipped to make a decision when you go out and play some.

Also, don't forget playability. If it feels like a dog, no matter how good it sounds, will you enjoy playing it for the long haul? If you want to play it sometimes in standard tuning without slide that's a big deal. The goal is a great playing instrument that sounds the way you want it to using all the techniques you want to use. When I pick it up and start playing does it "snuggle" up to me? Is it loud/restrained enough? You need to consider all these requirements, satisfying one of them is probably not enough to make it a keeper.

(great topic BTW, I moved this from jam session to gitfiddles)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 05:22:50 PM by Rivers »

Offline Vintage Licks

• Vintage Licks Guitars
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 07:39:51 AM »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 08:39:35 AM »
Vintage Licks,
If you want to advertise, you can always purchase advertising space.  Contact Slack for rates.
All best,
Johnm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal