collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now I am going to make a statement here. I don't know whether it fits into the category of other people's statements or not. But whether it fits into their category or whether it doesn't, it obviously fits into some category. So in that respect, it is no different from their statements. However, let me try making my statement... - Chuang Tzu: Basic Writings, Translated by Burton Watson (New York: Columbia University Press, 1964)

Author Topic: 'A World Unknown'  (Read 26774 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: 'A World Unknown'
« Reply #165 on: August 20, 2013, 10:51:27 PM »
Yup, you've got it, uncle bud.  I can hear it plain as day.

Offline sj1976

• Howdy!
« Reply #166 on: August 22, 2013, 06:49:43 AM »
Well Im sticking with Winona,Ms. He dropped numerous place names in his songs, and I dont hear the l and n sounds of Illinois.
I do hear the two n's of Winona. Its the most logical word for the sounds you hear. Plus  look at a map of Winona. it's halfway between memphis and Jackson. and withen a 50 mile radius you find leland, drew, belzoni, itta bena, cleveland, indianola.
Any serious Charley Patton researcher will recognize all of the places. I think  Winona has been overlooked for more compilcated answers. he sung about the places he went to. I have read that he would travel to Chicago annually to play-not sure of the specifics or validity of this claim, so Illinois seems logical and plausable, but I just dont hear it.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #167 on: August 22, 2013, 05:28:21 PM »
I know you don't bit more care

Well OK, assuming it's that, which I don't believe for a second, what does that actually mean?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:52:41 PM by Rivers »

Offline bird to whistle

• Howdy!
« Reply #168 on: August 22, 2013, 06:22:04 PM »
Well OK, assuming it's that, which I don't believe for a second, what does that actually mean?

I think it's bid not bit and it relates to the previous line. "I'm gonna leave tomorrow, I know you don't bid more care" I think it means I'm leaving and you don't really care or that it doesn't mean that much to you.

I updated wax's collection of suggestions in the thread.

I'm going away to

a world unknown/worlds unknown
Illinois (pronounced as el-eh-nooo)
where I don't know (pronounced as whe-a-da know or wheda-know)
the one I know
too well I know
to wander North
wilano
winona

Lord, I got somethin'

to find that somethin' with
to find that bastard with
to find that dastard with
to find that dustard with
to find that duster with
to find that buster with

some people say the

O.C. blues
oversea(s)/o'erseas blues

I guess these would be the results of the Rorschach test.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2013, 06:39:02 PM »
What bird to whistle said.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2013, 06:42:20 PM »
Well, I'm sorry but I don't hear that at all. There is no hard 'C' commencing the last word in my recording, it's an 'M'. The previous word I believe is 'been', as in 'done been'.

I need to cut out the Black Swan snippet and post it, clearly I'm hearing something you are not.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:51:06 PM by Rivers »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2013, 06:47:08 PM »
It's a 'C'. But I am so done with this thread, shoulda known better than to start on it again.  :P

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2013, 06:51:26 PM »
No way!

I'm going to leave tomorrow, I know you done been morphi-a
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:54:12 PM by Rivers »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2013, 07:30:22 PM »
LOL!  Too funny :P

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2013, 09:15:11 PM »
Perhaps we should pencil-in a Down The Dirt Road Blues Rorschach Shootout for the next time we're all at Port T. I'm thinking headphones, multiple transfer versions, workshops. Count me in. "Bid more care"? Charlie Patton? I don't think so, obviously.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #175 on: August 31, 2013, 11:16:55 AM »
Indisputably, Patton sings "Winan-o-a"!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #176 on: August 31, 2013, 12:39:48 PM »
I dispute that!  I'm moving these posts over to the "World Unknown" thread.  Uncle Dave should not be subjected to more of this discussion.
All best,
Johnm

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2013, 09:02:44 PM »
As an interesting aside, John Fahey, in his Patton book, gives the line as "I'm going away to the one I know" in his lyric transcription, but as "I'm going away to where I don't know" when he transcribes the melody.

After re-reading John Fahey's biography of Charley Patton, I encountered the same interesting duality mentioned in the above quote. In one appendix to the book, Fahey transcribes both the lyrics to Patton's songs (which appear in type), as well as the musical notation (which are written by hand). Interestingly, the musical notations include lyrics of their own, also written by hand and appearing beneath the appropriate musical notes. As indicated above, the typed lyrics say, "To the one I know," while the hand-written lyrics written in conjunction with the musical notations say, "To where I don't know."

More than one hand may have been involved in Fahey's transcriptions of Patton's songs, or perhaps Fahey is indicating his own ambivalence.

Either way, I think I will always hear, "To a world unknown," as it suits my sensibility. And it's awesome.
Jeff

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal