collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life - Ludwig van Beethoven

Author Topic: Miller's Breakdown  (Read 247474 times)

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Re: Miller's Breakdown
« Reply #1680 on: September 08, 2017, 01:07:07 AM »
Cross-note Jack Owens,  C for Frank Hovington, A for Bill Jackson whose Freight Train Blues is based on a pre-war hit by Trixie Smith.

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1681 on: September 08, 2017, 03:15:46 PM »
Hi all,
Any other takers for the Jack Owens, Frank Hovington and Bill Jackson puzzlers?  Come one, come all!
All best,
Johnm

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1682 on: September 11, 2017, 09:53:42 AM »
Hi all,
It appears that all who intended to respond to the most recent set of puzzlers have done so, so I will post the answers.

For Jack Owens' "Keep On Groaning":
   * His playing position was cross-note tuning.  Jack is one of the Bentonia-area players who worked some of the same musical territory as Skip James, playing a lot (though not exclusively) in cross-note tuning.  In listening to Jack Owens' music in recent years, I've discovered that his range was much broader than I had originally thought it, and he was by no means simply a Skip James imitator.  He did a fair amount of stuff in cross-note that Skip was never recorded doing, as well as playing in Dropped-D tuning in the key of A and other non-cross note playing.  Jack Owens was on staff at Port Townsend in one of the early years of the Country Blues workshop there, and as so often seems to have been the case, I didn't spend enough time hearing him then, due to having to work myself.  I can't get that opportunity back now.

For Frank Hovington's "Chimney Hill Breakdown":
   * His playing position was C position in standard tuning.  He begins the second section of the song on an F chord.  Frank Hovington reminds me a bit of John Jackson in that his sense of phrase length and timing were very much his own.

For Bill Jackson's "Freight Train Blues":
   * His playing position was A position in standard tuning.  You can tell it was played out of A position right at the beginning because he twice does an index finger partial barre slide from the first fret of the second string to the second fret.  You can hear it especially clearly after he first sings the word "that".  Bill Jackson had a really nice album on Testament that was re-issued on CD, and if you can find it, you're in for a treat.  He had a gentle sort of sound.

Thanks to Old Man Ned, Prof Scratchy and blues home for participating, and I hope folks enjoyed the songs.

All best,
Johnm 

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:33:13 AM by Johnm »

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1683 on: September 18, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »
Hi all,
I thought I would post some more puzzlers for interested parties.  The first is from Lawyer "Soldier Boy" Houston, and is his "Hug Me Baby".  Here it is:

INTRO

Hug me, baby, hey, hey, hey, squeeze me tight
Squeeze me, baby, one more time, with all your might

When it comes to loving, I know what it's all about
Put your arms around me and you'll soon find it out

Hey, hey, hey, hug me, baby
Hey, hey, hey, squeeze me tight

Hold me, baby, hey, hey, hey, hold me close
Out of all the women, you know that I love you the most

Hey, hey, hey, hug me, baby

SOLO

Says, I love you, baby, hope I always will
Every time you love me, you love me with a thrill

Hey, hey, hey, squeeze me, baby
Squeeze me, baby, one time, with all your might

CODA

The questions on "Hug Me Baby" are:
   *  What playing position/tuning did Lawyer Houston use to play the song?
   *  Where did "Soldier Boy" Houston fret the descending run he played from 1:39--1:41?
   *  For his occasional V chords, "Soldier Boy" Houston chose to play what note, named numerically, in the bass?

The second puzzler is from Johnny Howard and is his "Vacation Blues".  Here it is:

INTRO SOLO

I got a home in that rock, don't you see?
I've got a home in that rock, don't you see?
Just over 'hind the Smoky Mountains, just where the eagles build their nest

She got ways like the devil, she got hair like a horse's mane
She got way like the devil, she got hair like a horse's mane
She got Elgin movements from her head down to her toes

SOLO

When I take my vacation in Heaven, baby, please take your vacation with me
When I take my vacation in Heaven, baby, please take your vacation with me
I'll be laying around on the banks of Jordan, and I'll know that evergreen tree

If I could fly like a eagle, I wouldn't moan like a morning dove
If I could fly like a eagle, I wouldn't moan like a morning dove
When I get up in Heaven, I won't have to moan no more

The questions on "Vacation Blues" are:
   * What playing position/tuning did Johnny Howard use to play the song?
   * What was it that you heard that made you select the playing position/tuning that you did?
   * What chord normally played in a blues did Johnny Howard choose to omit?

The third puzzler is "John Tinsley's "Girl Dressed in Green".  Here it is:

INTRO SOLO

Have you seen my girl?  She's all dressed in green
She's the best-looking girl you 'most have ever seen

She got little brown eyes, great long curly hair
She's the best-looking girl you can find 'most anywhere

She leaves in the morning, don't come back 'til night
I know you don't love me and you just won't treat me right

SOLO

I don't see why, that you won't be true
If you loved me, baby, wouldn't treat me like you do

She leaves in the morning, don't come back 'til night
I know you don't love me and you just won't treat me right

The questions on "Girl Dressed in Green" are:
   * What playing position/tuning did John Tinsley use to play the song?
   * Describe where John Tinsley slides to at the very beginning of his rendition, what chord he frets following the slide, and where that chord is fretted.
   * Where did John Tinsley fret the little concluding bass run he plays at :30--:32?

Please use only your ears and your guitars to arrive at your answers, and please don't post any responses until 8:00 AM your time on Wednesday, September 20.  Thanks for your participation, and I hope you enjoy the songs and working out your answers.
All best,
Johnm 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:13:34 PM by Johnm »

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #1684 on: September 20, 2017, 01:52:38 PM »
Not sure if other folks are having the same problem as me for viewing the John Tinsley tune, but this one worked for me:

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #1685 on: September 20, 2017, 01:55:09 PM »
Apologies, the one I posted also seems to get block but is watchable\hearable on You Tube

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #1686 on: September 21, 2017, 01:09:54 AM »
Both links work fine for me. And you're in Edinburgh too! Must be localised atmospherics! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #1687 on: September 21, 2017, 12:07:38 PM »
Alas, not in Edinburgh any longer.  Moved to Weardale on the outskirts of the Pennines. Must be the sheep on the hills messing up the signal again.

Anyways, for "John Tinsley's "Girl Dressed in Green", I'm hearing in A standard.  I'm hearing  John Tinsley slide into an A chord at the 5th fret (2nd string/5th fret. 3rd string/6th fret. 4th string/7th fret).

The concluding bass run he plays at :30--:32:
5th string: 3bend--0-----0----0
6th string:-------------3----3---

I'm not getting anywhere with  "Vacation Blues" unfortunately and making slow progress with  Lawyer "Soldier Boy" Houston's, "Hug Me Baby".  A standard again?...but need to listen some more.

Love the John Tinsley tune bye the way, which is why I was drawn to it first.

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #1688 on: September 21, 2017, 12:30:06 PM »
Sorry, forgot to say, the above post re John Tinsley is relative to capo around the 3rd fret, which would make it F# (??) not A.....I think I need a lie down....

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Miller's Breakdown
« Reply #1689 on: September 24, 2017, 02:08:57 AM »
These are tricky! For Soldier Boy I'm going to hazard a guess and say half Spanish tuning. There's something that reminds me of Lil Son Jackson in the playing here. The Johnny Howard track is especially hard to listen to due to the piano, which sounds like it was recorded underwater in a neighbouring swimming pool! Anyway, I'll plump for E standard here. The John Tinsley song seems to utilise Blind Boy Fuller ideas in A standard. Apologies for not getting into the detailed questions, but I've found the puzzlers particularly puzzling! Good though! Hoping some other folk will chime in soon, as me and Old Man Ned are feeling lonely.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:11:23 AM by Prof Scratchy »

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1690 on: September 24, 2017, 04:23:48 PM »
Hi all,
Any more takers for the Lawyer "Soldier Boy" Houston, Johnny Howard and John Tinsley puzzlers.  Join Old Man Ned and Prof Scratchy and take your shot at the puzzlers.  Come one, come all!
All best,
Johnm

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #1691 on: September 25, 2017, 04:35:57 AM »
These are tough, I'll stick with my 1st impressions"

Spanish for Soldier Boy
Vastapol for Johnny Howard
A standard for John Tingley

I'm trying to place where I've heard a similar sound to Johnny Howard, it's in the memory banks somewhere.

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #1692 on: September 25, 2017, 12:28:01 PM »
The feel of Little Son Jackson in "Soldier Boy" Houston's "Hug Me Baby" had gone right past me but yeah, I can hear it now.  I'm still thinking A standard though.  The bass note he keeps thumping sounds like an A on the open 5th string to me, though there are other parts of the tune that make me feel less confident of A standard.  I did consider, A out of a dropped D tuning but the low D on the 6th string isn't jumping out at me any where.

Phew, what a puzzler!  :)  I'm still no nearer on the Johnny Howard tune but the question of what "you heard that made you select the playing position/tuning" suggests there's a big give-a-way in the tune somewhere....I've just not heard it yet!

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1693 on: September 26, 2017, 09:34:03 AM »
Hi all,
Any Americans or Canadians care to join the stalwarts from the British Isles in hazarding answers to the Lawyer "Soldier Boy" Houston, Johnny Howard and John Tinsley puzzlers?  Come one, come all--answer all the questions or just one.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #1694 on: September 27, 2017, 12:05:46 AM »
Finns are also acceptable.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal