collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
He had a left hand like God. He didn't know what key he was playing in, but he played them all. He could play the ragtime stride bass, but it bothered him because his stomach got in the way of his arm, so he used a walking bass instead. I can remember when I was thirteen - this was 1896 - how Turk would play one note with his right hand and at the same time four with his left. We called it 'sixteen' - they called it boogie-woogie - Eubie Blake remembering William Turk, from Giles Oakley's The Devil's Music, BBC

Author Topic: Uncle Dave Macon on Bear Family  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Montgomery

• Howdy!
Uncle Dave Macon on Bear Family
« on: July 14, 2004, 11:57:05 AM »
If you can afford it (ebay has some relatively good deals), the new 10-disc complete recordings of Dave Macon on Bear Family is essential (of course, JSP has already bootlegged it and put out the first 5 discs).  There's 9 CDs, then 1 DVD of a Grand Ole Opry movie which is pure fluff (with somewhat leftist politics, strange for a GOO film) but has an amazing performance by Macon (and also Roy Acuff and others) that will change the way you hear his recordings (it would be like getting to see a performance of Patton, guitar flipping and all).  The remastering by Chris King is excellent throughout.  This set includes prewar, postwar recordings, plus air checks and radio performances for the GOO.  The accompanying book is brilliant, including countless photographs of Macon throughout his life, and a full biography and session notes by Charles Wolfe.  Complete lyrics are also included, very helpful if you're like me and can't figure out what he's saying half the time.  If you're familiar with other Bear Family sets, you know what a good job they do.  This is the most well done set I have by them, with the possible exception of the Carter Family set they did, although the Carter's later performances are fairly boring.  Anyway, there's been a major paucity of available Macon recordings on CD, and this set is more than any Macon fan could have hoped for.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Uncle Dave Macon on Bear Family
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 01:28:52 PM »
I got to check out the set over the 4th of July weekend.  I didn't get to hear the music (or watch the DVD - rats!), but I did ogle the accompanying book.  Simply amazing - enormous prints of rare photos...  just incredible detail.  And the words!  Talk about going above & beyond the call of duty.  This one is definitely on the top of my wish list!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal