collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The poor are getting poorer. The rich are getting rich. If I don't starve I'm a son of a gun - David McCarn, Cotton Mill Colic

Author Topic: A guitar family portrait - featuring vintage 1907 acoustics.  (Read 1354 times)

Offline BottleneckJohn

• Northern heart, Southern soul..
    • Acoustic Blues & Spirituals
These two have been inseparable for the last 107 years..  :D

They were both bought new in 1907 by the parents of the nice little old lady I got them from back in 1999. They're still together!! 

And the "nicer" one, the model 18, was restored by me right away but the plainer model # 4 has been waiting until now..
But here it is, now producing some fine bottleneck slide tones for the years to come!! That sure feels great!  :)
I collect & restore LEVIN instruments and the pair in this video have a special story that I wanted to tell as well as play some music on them.

I'm proud to be the keeper for a number of years and then pass them on..

On July 27th 1900, Herman Carlson Levin began building his wonderful stringed instruments in a small workshop in Gothenburg, Sweden. My great passion is collecting these instruments that, to my eyes (and ears), were some of the finest guitars ever built..

Certainly, many people today know of Levin for its fine old arch-top guitars or its plainer and not quite so fine-sounding beginners' instruments from the 50s and 60s.
But long before this, Levin was top of it's class in Europe and other parts of the world. It already achieved a high-point as an instrument maker at the 1907 World's Fair in Madrid, where it won the gold medal for the best guitar. Remember, this was in the Spanish guitar builders' home territory. Not only that, Levin was awarded the exhibition's Grand Prix!

And two old cases as well..  :wink:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:52:46 AM by BottleneckJohn »
"All Around Man" - Re-release on vinyl LP in April 2015!!
http://www.bottleneckjohn.com/newcd.htm
BJ

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: A guitar family portrait - featuring vintage 1907 acoustics.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 12:47:05 AM »
If they ever have ukes, I'll adopt one!

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Tapatalk

Offline sabocat

• Howdy!
Re: A guitar family portrait - featuring vintage 1907 acoustics.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 05:43:13 PM »
Love it.

I have those the twins of those cases but the guitars that came in them were a Supertone and Regal squareneck lap guitar.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal