collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Most exciting take on the farmer and the boll weevil yet. Hardest driving guitar recording ever? - John Fahey, on Charlie Patton's Mississippi Bo Weevil Blues

Author Topic: Introductions: When the Roll is called...  (Read 221464 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Introductions: When the Roll is called...
« Reply #750 on: January 15, 2016, 09:42:26 PM »
Welcome to Weenie Campbell, Richard. One correction, though--it's Blind Willie Johnson's, "Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground," that is on the Voyager.

...the music of that great Texas bluesman, Blind Lemon Jefferson, is on an interstellar voyage into the great unknown via the Voyager satellite which has now officially left our solar system.

Offline Erasmus Folly

« Reply #751 on: January 16, 2016, 04:05:28 AM »
Yipes! I stand corrected. Thanks Stuart.
You have to think like a hero merely to behave like a decent human being.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #752 on: January 16, 2016, 07:10:54 AM »
Welcome Richard - glad you found us!

Offline BBQJoe

• Howdy!
« Reply #753 on: March 28, 2016, 09:19:20 PM »
Hi Folks,

I'm new here so I wanted to introduce myself.

I'm 56 and have just started learning to play guitar a few months ago.  I grew up on rock, but got interested in listening to blues in my 30s.  I've always thought it would be cool to play guitar (and harmonica), but never thought I could learn.

But I had some time when I couldn't work on some other activities that normally occupy my free time (BBQing, building a smoker, working on my hot rod project, building furniture) and started trying to teach myself to play with a Fred Sokolow Beginning Blues DVD.  I took a few lessons, but my teacher was not helping me learn songs or even technique, mostly explaining the fretboard and how chords are built.  Good information, but not what I needed to stay interested. 

I learned a few songs from online videos, and just recently started with another teacher who is more plugged into blues, but I'm not sure he's the right teacher for me either.

Anyway, I'm very much a beginner but I practice every day and hope to get enough better that I don't wince when I hear myself play.

I just learned a version of Lightnin Hopkins' Baby Please Don't Go. it's my teacher's arrangement, and I really want to learn the version from Ernie Hawkins' DVD (I got the first dozen or so bars of that version down already, but got stuck on something).  I don't have the timing right when I play it, but at least I can play the notes.  Ish.

I'm also working on "Shake That Thing" which is the first song in Stephen Grossman's "Complete Country Blues".  I can play it straight through, but again my timing isn't right or consistent.  More practice.  More practice.

I'm thinking pretty seriously about going to the Port Townsend acoustic blues workshop in August.  I'm a little concerned about being over my head and intimidated.  But I also think this might help my playing a lot.

Offline gitarzan

• Howdy!
« Reply #754 on: April 02, 2016, 10:42:52 AM »
Hi there boys and girls,  My name is Dave and I've been playing poorly for 47 years now.  Not continuously however, hence the poorly part. I currently play with the Columbus Folk Music Society, and play Folk, Blues,  Jug band stuff, Gospel and pretty much whatever else we like.

I've got a bunch of guitars, including a few Martins, a couple Gibsons, an Epiphone MasterBilt, a Taylor 12 string and and few more.  I also play  Ukulele and a Tenor Banjo tuned in Chicago style, DGBE.

This looks like a great forum, I love old-timey and hokum music, and just old stuff from the twenties and thirties.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #755 on: April 02, 2016, 08:39:59 PM »
I'm thinking pretty seriously about going to the Port Townsend acoustic blues workshop in August.  I'm a little concerned about being over my head and intimidated.  But I also think this might help my playing a lot.

Welcome to the forum. Re. Port Townsend, don't hesitate, just go!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #756 on: April 02, 2016, 08:42:34 PM »
Welcome Dave, always good to have new blood around here, as Dracula used to say.  :P

Offline BBQJoe

• Howdy!
« Reply #757 on: April 06, 2016, 10:26:40 AM »
I pulled the trigger last night, I'm registered for Port Townsend!

Welcome to the forum. Re. Port Townsend, don't hesitate, just go!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #758 on: April 21, 2016, 06:18:18 PM »
Good decision Joe. My first year I prepared by seeking new influences, songs and players, anything to expand horizons. Put me in the right frame of mind for Port T, not in the way I planned, just for being already open to more of the cool & unknown. It's hard to describe how Port T supports players' each-to-their-own, you just got to be there. I'll be there if I possibly can but it looks unlikely right now due to.. a very long story. My fingers are crossed though.

Offline Mr. Crump

• Howdy!
« Reply #759 on: May 18, 2016, 07:24:52 PM »
Hello everyone,

Weenie Campbell was a google search result a few months ago when I was trying to figure out what a Bamalong could be. Since then I have been lurking here absorbing some of the accumulated wisdom of this wonderful, encyclopedic website.

I am not a musician or record collector, just a casual listener. I probably will not be posting very much because I have little to contribute. Nonetheless I want to introduce myself and thank the other members for sharing their knowledge. You guys have built something remarkable here.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #760 on: May 18, 2016, 07:27:32 PM »
Welcome Mr. Crump!  Please feel free to chime in at any time, expertise is not needed.   In any case we are glad "Mr. Crump Do Like It"!

Offline One-Eyed Ross

« Reply #761 on: May 18, 2016, 09:29:37 PM »
I'm not sure, now.  I heard Mr. Crump don't allow no easy riders here.....and I likes easy riders....(and if that don't bring a smile to some faces, I'm doing something wrong!)

Welcome.  Willkommen.  Bien venue.  Failte.  Bienvenuto.  Hey, hello and how are you.
SSG, USA, Ret

She looked like a horse eating an apple through a wire fence.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #762 on: May 18, 2016, 10:58:17 PM »
Welcome to Weenie Campbell, Mr. Crump!

Here's a book fer yez:

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10603.msg91997#msg91997

I read it a while back and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Offline Mr. Crump

• Howdy!
« Reply #763 on: May 19, 2016, 01:07:08 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome! Stuart, that book looks excellent -- I think I will read it.

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #764 on: May 21, 2016, 08:24:10 PM »
Hello All-
Been lurking for a little while. This forum is fantastic. I've discovered a ton of new tunes, and I've taken a closer look at many gems I already had in my collection. Been listening to and playing country blues off and on for over 23 years or so. Mostly on my own. I had kinda put it away for a while before recently deciding get back in. This forum has really kickstarted the process.

If anyone cares...
- A used copy of the Robert Johnson box set got the ball rolling for me.
- What really got me hooked was listening to the Yazoo Roots of Robert Johnson CD. I was at a store that let you sample CD's before buying them. Hearing Skip James "Devil Got My Woman" blew me away! And I sat there listening to all these other guys with cool names playing out-of-this-world music that I couldn't believe even existed: Kokomo Arnold, Charlie Patton, Son House etc.
- For the next few years I bought most every Pre-War country blues disc I could find.
- Also got into later-recorded guys like Mance Lipscomb & Fred McDowell and many more.
- Discovered Stefan Grossman's Guitar Workshop, and that really changed everything for me. Not only were that lessons on how to play this stuff, but videos of these legends existed!
- Learned to play quite a bit from the dozen or so workshop videos I bought, but honestly at the time, I never really paid as much attention to detail as I should have. I don't remember what I've forgotten.
- I was also really into what Fat Possum was doing at that time with Junior Kimbrough, RL Burnside, T-Model ford & others.
- Over the years I've come and gone from country blues, but right now I'm totally hooked again.
- The Ballad of Geeshie & Elvie article a couple years back made me revisit my collection and dive back into playing again.
- Favorites: Mance, Blind Blake, Gary Davis, Big Bill Broonzy, RL Burnside... geez this list could really keep going.
- Other musical interests: Surf Rock, Punk Rock, Garage Rock and so much more.
Anyway. Glad this site exists. I've got a lot to look through.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal