collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Always keep your hat on. You know back in those days there was quite a lot of jealous guys in the audience and sometimes you have to run. But, If you got your hat on your head and you have to run, you know you left the house with it - Mississippi John Hurt giving advice to Archie Edwards

Author Topic: Blues And Gospel 1890-1943 4th Edition Amendments  (Read 13825 times)

lebordo

Blues And Gospel 1890-1943 4th Edition Amendments
« on: December 02, 2004, 11:27:46 AM »
Hi, all.

Do we have any members who would be interested in corrections/clarifications to Blues & Gospel Records 1890-1943, 4th ed.?

I keep a running list that I periodically submit to Howard Rye, one of the compilers ot this standard reference discography.? Some corrections/clarifications are based on my own meager 78 rpm blues collection.? Most are based on label photos/scans I find online, including ebay auction photos/scans.

So far the list is just over 150 corrections/comments/clarifications.? I'll be happy to post them (and update them periodically) if there's interest -- either as an .rtf attachment (or Excel, if more usable) or as inline text in a subsequent post.

On the other hand, if it's not going to benefit anyone, no need to post it at all.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 04:46:53 AM by Johnm »

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Re: Pre-War Blues and Gospel Discography Info
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 12:26:09 PM »
You must be very keen ;) but yes, I would certainly be interested to see what you have found. I can't pretend G&D is bedtime reading but it certainly is very handy on occassion .

Maybe  an .rtf format might be the best as it's universal?
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 05:47:19 PM »
I'd do it as inline text in a message unless there's a lot of formatting. And while it might be obscure, I think it's a good reference to have out there. Why not, I say?

lebordo

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 08:38:32 PM »
Thanks to Richard and Uncle Bud for their input.

Replying to another thread, I discovered there is a 12000 character limit to text in post.  The correction file appears to be over 60,000 characters.  So it's either break it up into smaller segments (perhaps pages 1-100, 101-200, etc.) or posting as an attachment. 

An .rtf attachment seems unlikely (haven't actually tried it yet), since the attachment section clearly says "Allowed file types: txt, jpg, gif, pdf, mpg, png, mp3, zip, tef, xls, csv" and rtf isn's on that list of supported file types.  So if I do it as an attachment, the only logical choices I see are tst or xls.  Converting to a txt file will require some reformating where I've centered something or used tabs; and in addition to probably not being usable by many memers, the xls format presents technical limitations since many of the corrections have text too long to fit in an Excel cell -- 240 chars max if memory serves me correctly.

Any thoughts on segmented text postings vs. one text file attachment.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 08:57:15 PM »
Slack's internet access is currently down. Let's wait for him to chime in. But yes, 60,000 is probably best done by attachment...

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 01:39:08 AM »
Could you post a sample or something so folks could see what they are getting into (!) and then maybe direct them to a site where they could download the whole thing if they wanted - if of any help you could post it on a spare page on my website which I use just for odds and sods.

How big are the files as they stand?

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 08:46:55 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'd be happy to up the Character limit - but 60K seems like a whole lot for an inline text message - remember lots of folks still use dial up modems and they would have to load that everytime they opened the topic.  So an RTF file attachment seems to be a better way to do it. 

I'll configure the forum it accept RTF files, how's that?

slack

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 10:58:39 AM »
What a gentleman ;)

lebordo

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 11:13:19 AM »
Thanks, Slack.

I see that rtf has already been permitted, so I'll generate a separate message with the rtf attachment.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 11:53:58 AM by lebordo »

lebordo

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 11:52:20 AM »
Hi, all.

As promised, I am attaching a rich text (.rtf) file with the comments and corrections to Blues & Gospel Records, 4th edition, by Goodrich, Dixon & Rye.? All items in this document have already been submitted to Howard Rye for consideration in the next edition.

If you aren't into discographical info, I suggest you not bother to download the attachment.? I suspect it would be quite boring.

I like Richard's comment about an example.? But they are all so different that I decided to post several representative examples rather than just one.? In the attachment, items are sorted by page, with items on a page (hopefully) listed in the same order thay were on the page.

EXAMPLES

p. 411 - Papa Harvey Hull
Mx not known (Original Stack O'Lee Blues) Black Patti label credits artists as Long Cleve Reed and Little Harvey Hull Down Home Boys (i.e.no quotes around Cleve, a " after Hull, and no parenthesis around Down Home Boys
(from inspection of online label scan)
(source=http://www.vintage78.com/siteCF/images/labels/ctryblues/label1.jpg)

p. 431 - Mike Jackson
Mx 34738-1 (Just Too Bad) and Mx 35739-2 (I'm Gonna Kill Myself) -- both sides of Vi 20181 are as by Mabel Richardson Mike Jackson
(from inspection of label scan provided with ebay record auction)

p. 462 - Lonnie Johnson
Your note under Mx 401981-A and 401982-B indicates Vo 03094 uses Arabic numerals for Part 1 and Part 2; at least some labels actually use Roman numerals Part I and Part II.? (from inspection of label scan provided with ebay record auction).

Also, as I previously emailed to you, I actually purchased this record, and when it arrived, the matrix numbers actually stamped in the run-off of Vo 03094 (this is the Gold on Black label, if it matters) are as follows:

IT FEELS SO GOOD - Part I   W401622A (which is the matrix for the same title on p. 461, Okeh 8664
   IT FEELS SO GOOD - Part II? W401623D (which is the matrix for the same title on p. 461, Okeh 8664)

So instead of corresponding to Okeh's It Feels So Good - Part 3 / Part 4 as your note on page 462 suggests, MY copy of Vo 03094 correctly matches up with Okeh's It Feels So Good - Part 1 / Part 2.? Subsequent to this, I purchased a copy of Okeh 8664, and Vo 03094 has exactly the same lyrics as Ok 8664.? Wave form analysis also proves they are identical on both sides.? Visually, they are from the same master, with the same matrix numbers appearing in the same relative location to the run-off grooves.? This seems to leave us with just a few unanswered questions:

• Did Vocalion ALSO issue 03094 with matrices 401981-A and 401982-B?
  • If Vo 03094 does exist with matrices 401981-A and 401982-B, did this coupling use arabic numbers Part 1 and Part 2, as in your page 462 note, or did it use roman numerals Part I and Part II as on my copy of 03094?

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to these two questions.? Perhaps you know the source of your original comment, and can verify that information.? That would be fortunate, wouldn't it?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 04:51:17 AM by Johnm »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 12:34:19 PM »
Thanks Paul, perfect. 

Kinda neat to see WeenieCampbell.com as a source for a couple of your corrections.... who-da thunk it!

Cheers,
slack

lebordo

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 07:36:30 PM »
Right, Slack.

Too bad I didn't realize you had a juke when I visited WeenieCampbell the first couple of times.

Guess I'll have to spend some time adding to your label gallery, too, if that's possible (haven't looked yet).

I've got over 5,000 pics/scans of black blues/gospel, including dupes.  Some are copyrighted, so I can't provide those.  Some are poor quality, so it doesn't make much sense to provide those.

If you can give me some idea of what you intended with the label galery, I can try to add appropriately instead of randomly.  For example, are you just interested in one of each label / label type.  Or do you want as many as you can get.  For example, I've got about 10 Bertha "Chippie" Hill labels and about 20 Barbecue Bob labels.  All the Barbecue Bob's are on Columbia black Electronic Process labels.  Would it be appropriate to post all 20, or just one.  The "Chippie" Hill labels are on Perfect, Conqueror, Okeh, Circke, Hot Record Society, and Vocalion.  If you already have a Perfect lable for another artist, would you want more Perfect labels?

Obviously, I'm not going to post even 1000 overnight -- particularly since I have a dial-up line. (SBC just reduced their DSN connection rate to 19.95 per month, competitive with my dial-up from Core.Com.  So when my yearly renewal is up, I probably will change to DSN.  Cable is still over $40, and I just can't afford that on my fixed income.)  But if I have a feel for what you goal is, I can try to slowly make additions.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2004, 08:49:10 PM »
If you can give me some idea of what you intended with the label galery, I can try to add appropriately instead of randomly.

Hi Paul, good question.  I suppose I initially went hunting 78 labels for a pretty silly reason - to intersperse the gallery with a "random" display of some cool labels... to make the gallery look purty. :-)  However, I enjoy looking at these old labels for a couple of reasons.  I like them as art, the great variety of desgin and style.  Also, I like to see my blues heros names in lights, to see how their recordings were first issued.  It fires my imagination, takes me back in time.

So! :-)  It would be great to see as many different kinds of labels as possible and then secondarily, blues classics or blues giants or rare labels.

Cool, Thanks!
Slack

Offline CF

Blues And Gospel 1890-1943 4th Edition Amendments
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 07:20:50 AM »
For those with the 4th edition of B&GR there was a discussion recently about a thread dedicated to ammendations, corrections & queries. See here

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=128&topic=2135.0

There was an effort made almost 4 years ago by member lebordo to start such a thread. He (?) posted a downloadable file of corrections that were offered to Howard Rye & can be found here

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=60&topic=736.0

lebardos corrections are far more detailed than anything I could come up with but I think any level of ammendation would be a welcome thing. Bunker Hill mentioned that Rye still maintains a B&GR correction article in Blues & Rhythm magazine. That would be a most valuable resource to tap into.
This may be the place to discuss personnel queries as well . . . for instance: does anyone else hear a second guitar on Charley Jordan's 'Keep It Clean No.2'?? There's a BB Fuller tune that sounds to me like 2 guitars when only one is catalogued.
The most obvious corrections would be the recordings that have been discovered & released since the 1997 publishing date.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 07:22:59 AM by cheapfeet »
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline CF

Re: Blues And Gospel 1890-1943 4th Edition Amendments
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 10:54:43 AM »
I was very excited about the discovery of the two Son House tracks from his Paramount May 1930 session, PM 13096, 'Mississippi County Farm Blues' & 'Clarksdale Moan'. Yazoo's 'The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of' has a reprint of the 'MS County Farm Blues' label which has a matrix number of L 401 (I believe).
I have these songs on CDs Yazoo 2202, JSP7781, BIM 104 (Blues Images vol.4).

uncle bud gave me the recording info for the Tommy Johnson test found a while back:

- I Want Someone To Love Me (L-227-1)
- I Want Someone To Love Me (L-227-2)

rec. c. December 1929 in Grafton, Wis.; Tommy Johnson, voc, g
unissued Paramount test pressing.
*Is there any way of knowing which take we have?

King Solomon Hill's 'My Buddy Blind Papa Lemon' & 'Times Done Got Hard', Pm13125, was discovered.

'Cold Woman Blues' & 'Ninety Nine Blues', Pm12983, by Blind Joe Reynolds turned up.

Most recently Blind Blake's 'Night & Day Blues' & 'Sun To Sun', Pm13123, was discovered & is found on the 2009 Blues Images CD.

Offline CF

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 09:54:15 AM »
I found these two Martha Copeland songs (as well as hundreds of others) at this fascinating page dedicated to the early sound films & other period recordings

http://vitaphone.blogspot.com/

There are two songs from an NBC radio broadcast on the 15th of May, 1928:

-'I Ain't Got Nobody', Martha Copeland & Orch.
-'St. Louis Blues', Martha Copeland & the Hall Johnson Choir.

edited to add:
Googling around I found a WFMU broadcast which plays the above radio broadcast in its entirety and there's another tune between the above titled 'Wylie Avenue Blues' (she had recorded this song in 1927). It can be found here
http://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/9526
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 11:01:59 AM by cheapfeet »

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 01:35:27 AM »

Offline CF

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 06:13:32 AM »
Thanks for that Cleoma.

Bessie Smith recorded 'Haunted House Blues' on January 9th, 1924 with Don Redman on clarinet & Fletcher Henderson on piano. A whistle is used to mimic the sound of a ghost & is uncredited. It can't be Redman because it plays over his clarinet but perhaps Henderson had it mounted on a rack? Anyway, B&GR has no credit for it.

edited to add:
(Listening to lotsa Bessie this afternoon . . .)
'Weeping Willow Blues' from Sept. 1924 & 'Sinful Blues' from December of the same year both have uncredited percussion (incl. whistle). 'Weeping' is accompanied by members of Fletcher Henderson's orch. so I would suggest the possible persussionist to be Kaiser Mitchell from Henderson's group at that time.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 10:10:48 AM by cheapfeet »

Offline CF

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 10:56:44 AM »
While we're debating the legitimacy of a possible Robert Johnson photo elsewhere . . . that reminds me of the discovery of the first take of his 'Traveling Riverside Blues' in the early 2000s.

DAL-400-1,-2     Traveling Riverside Blues     ARC unissued
[recorded June 20th, 1937 in Dallas, TX.]
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:57:50 AM by cheapfeet »

Offline CF

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 08:54:54 AM »
Oriole 716 has Bessie Brown's 'Ain't Much Good In The Best of Men Now Days' with Sadie Green's 'Senorita Mine' on the reverse. The note in the Brown entry reads
'Rev. Oriole 716 is Senorita Mine, which, although probably from the next session and credited to Sadie Green, is by an unknown, possibly white, popular vocalist.'
But Sadie Green's entry in B&GR states that this is a pseudonym for Bessie Brown on Oriole.
To my ears it does sound like Bessie Brown is the vocalist on 'Senorita Mine'.
See http://www.redhotjazz.com/bessiebrown.html for Bessie's tunes.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
will the real 'Easy Going Woman' please stand up?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 04:17:15 PM »
I posted this on pwb, but thought I'd post it here in case it doesn't generate any replies (not that it will here, either...)

recently I was listening closely to emusic downloads of the following CDs from Document:

BDCD-6013 - Mississippi String Bands & Associates 1928 - 1931
BDCD-6018 - Charlie McCoy 1928 - 1932

and was struck by the following songs.

on Mississippi String Bands:

track 21: Easy Going Woman Blues

recorded Monday 19 January 1931
Charlie McCoy v and mand. probably Walter Vinson, g

on Charlie McCoy:

track 23: Times Ain't What They Used To Be

recorded 3 February 1932.
Personnel: "Papa" Charlie McCoy v; acc. own bj; possibly Tampa Red or
Kansas Joe, g

Aurally, these appear to me to be not only the same songs, but the same performances.  To be fair, it does sound like two different copies of the same record - the copy used for "Easy Going Woman" sounds like it's in slightly worse shape than "Times."

The fact that there is different personnel and recording dates (a year apart!) listed for each song certainly suggests to me that there are two distinct recordings...  at first I thought it was an emusic goof, but a friend with copies of the CDs confirmed the similarity for me.  So

- did Document mistakenly sequence one copy of one of these songs as the other and there's another song on a 78 under one of these names that either hasn't been found or reissued yet?

- is "Times Ain't Like They Used To Be" indeed identical to "Easy Going Woman" on the original 78 and there's a mistake in listing different session/personnel information?

Thoughts?  If you made it this far, thanks for reading.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 06:03:01 PM »
Well, I'll reply just to prove that it can generate replies.  :P

IMO, the tracks on the Charlie McCoy disc and the Mississippi String Bands and Associates disc are the same recording, dubbed from different 78s (as frankie says, the "Easy Going Woman Blues" track is a poorer condition record and transfer). Comparing the mando solos, for starters, seems to prove this.

So I'd add the question: Does anyone have a 78 of "Easy Going Woman Blues" to compare to "Times Ain't What They Used to Be"? It's pretty clear that "Times" is the recording that's on both CDs.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 04:47:53 AM »
Yep, same song, possibly the same record just mastered at a different sound level.

It's pretty clear that "Times" is the recording that's on both CDs.

It sure sounds like the title should be "Times Ain't What They Used To Be", but the discographical info for "Times" doesn't seem to fit: that sounds like a mandolin, not a banjo or a banjo-mandolin that Charlie is playing, and the "possibly Tampa Red" on guitar doesn't fit - if that's Tampa Red on guitar, I'll...  I'll...  Well, I'll forgo having beer or wine with dinner tonight!   

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 05:22:26 AM »
It sure sounds like the title should be "Times Ain't What They Used To Be", but the discographical info for "Times" doesn't seem to fit: that sounds like a mandolin, not a banjo or a banjo-mandolin that Charlie is playing, and the "possibly Tampa Red" on guitar doesn't fit - if that's Tampa Red on guitar, I'll...  I'll...  Well, I'll forgo having beer or wine with dinner tonight!   

I'm with you - sure sounds like Walter Vinson on guitar to me - maybe Joe McCoy, but the runs are very typical of other songs Vinson plays in the key of F.  Definitely not a banjo - banjo-mandolin is possible, but there's actual decay on the notes as opposed to the 110% attack you hear in a banjo/mandolin.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 07:51:26 AM »
B&GR doesn't seem to have an abbreviation for banjo mandolin and doesn't distinguish between instruments in the banjo family. Everything is just a banjo (as if there were some generally accepted prejudice against banjos. I know! Hard to imagine!). Papa Charlie Jackson is not listed as playing a six-string banjo or guitar banjo, just banjo. Banjo mandolins or tenor/four-string banjos are listed as simply banjos. And we will not even discuss banjo ukes.

The instrument on "Times" could possibly be a banjo mando to my ear, but dj and frankie are probably right. It could just be poor recording and poor reissuing that gives the mando that slightly banjoesque sound.

The inclusion of Tampa Red as a possible accompanist can surely only be based on the fact that Tampa and Georgia Tom had a session for Vocalion the same day, 3 February 1932, in New York, like Charlie. It sounds nothing like Tampa Red. I think dj has no worries about his beer or wine with dinner.

Wouldn't have minded hanging out in the studio that day. Or the next day (Tampa did "Dead Cats On the Line", "You Can't Get That Stuff No More", "Things 'bout Coming My Way No. 2"; Charlie McCoy did "Too Long").
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 07:57:32 AM by uncle bud »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 08:07:07 AM »
Oriole 716 has Bessie Brown's 'Ain't Much Good In The Best of Men Now Days' with Sadie Green's 'Senorita Mine' on the reverse. The note in the Brown entry reads
'Rev. Oriole 716 is Senorita Mine, which, although probably from the next session and credited to Sadie Green, is by an unknown, possibly white, popular vocalist.'
But Sadie Green's entry in B&GR states that this is a pseudonym for Bessie Brown on Oriole.
To my ears it does sound like Bessie Brown is the vocalist on 'Senorita Mine'.
See http://www.redhotjazz.com/bessiebrown.html for Bessie's tunes.

Just noticed this post. I went to redhotjazz.com and I agree with cheapfeet, the vocalist on Senorita Mine is Bessie Brown. I suspect the reason for the "possibly white" singer comment is the tight-sphinctered and exaggerated delivery, but surely this is simply the musical theatre/revue experience coming through. The voice sounds the same.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 08:12:35 AM »
And I'll just add that while recently reading Spreadin' Rhythm Around; Black Popular Songwriters 1880-1930, the Waller/Williams tune "Senorita Mine" comes up several times and was indeed used in a revue called Tan Town Topics in 1926, the same year as the Bessie Brown recording.

Regarding the pseudonym Sadie Green. Does the Memphis Jug Band tune "Everybody's Talking About Sadie Green" (1930) have anything to do with this name? Or the Five Harmaniacs' "Sadie Green, the Vamp of New Orleans" (1926)? Which you can listen to hear if you like: http://www.archive.org/details/FiveHarmaniacs-SadieGreenTheVampOfNewOrleans1926
Who's Sadie Green?

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 08:13:54 AM by uncle bud »

Offline CF

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 06:26:59 PM »
Who's Sadie Green?

I'd like to know too.

Listening to early Lonnie Johnson selections at Red Hot Jazz
http://www.redhotjazz.com/LJohnson.html.
B&GR states that on the August 13th, 1926 recording of 'There's No Use Of Lovin' Victoria Spivey is possibly present. A man is heard speaking on the track & does a high pitched howl which does sound somewhat like Spivey but is clearly him I think. This is probably Lonnie's brother, James Johnson, who was present at the session, or Lonnie himself.

minor stuff:
October 3, 1927's 'St Louis Cyclone Blues' has an uncredited wind sound effect.

December 14th 1927's 'Why Should I Grieve After You're Gone' has a 2,4,5,6 credit when there is no 6th credit description.

Offline CF

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 11:26:35 AM »
Listening to Ishmon Bracey lately, working on a version of 'Four Day Blues'. I have the JSP 'Legends of Country Blues' collection which has all of Bracey's recordings. The first track is 'Stranger Blues'. Credits say sung by Rosie Mae Moore with guitar accompaniment by Bracey. Sounds like Bracey to me. Yet B&GR states that all four songs from this session have guitar acc. by Charlie MCcoy. Whaddya all think?
Rosie Mae Moore is a great singer BTW. A kind of hoarse, tuberculosis-sounding voice & very dark & country. She may also have used the name Mary Butler & recorded with the MS Sheiks crew. Check 'er out. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 11:28:31 AM by cheapfeet »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 11:42:19 AM »
Could be Bracey, though at the start of the song, Rosie says "Oh, play it Mr. Charlie, a long time and a heap of it".  Possibly Charlie McCoy imitating Ishmon Bracey?  Whoever it is can't resist putting in a few mandolin-like trills in the instrumental verse, so if it's not Charlie imitating Ishmon it's Ishmon imitating Charlie.   ;)   

Offline CF

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 05:18:42 PM »
Rosie says "Oh, play it Mr. Charlie, a long time and a heap of it".
Of course! Gonna have to relisten to this.

Offline CF

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2008, 04:58:52 AM »
Yep, that's definitely Charlie McCoy on 'Stranger Blues'. Shows you how close I was listening. So this is a JSP mistake, not B&GR. Ignore posts.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2008, 05:40:00 AM »
...this is a JSP mistake, not B&GR

I don't have them, but I suspect that the mistake is present in earlier versions of B&GR and was corrected in the 4th edition.  The Document issue of the complete Ishmon Bracey contains "Stranger Blues", listing Bracey on guitar.  The discographical info for that would have come from B&GR 3. 

Offline CF

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009, 06:54:45 AM »
Ramblin' Thomas' 'Hard Dallas Blues #4' seems to have turned up after B&GR 4th ed. was published. Document have it on 'Too Late Vol.10', Catfish have it on their 2000 'Ramblin' Thomas - Hard Dallas' release (KATCD173, 'Penguin Guide To Rec Blues' states that this has been deleted) & JSP seem to have it on their Texas Masters box. Go this thread for some extra info
http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=128&topic=316.0
. . . & maybe this would be the best place for Bunker to post his findings as to the discovery of this tune.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2009, 05:36:47 PM »
Henry Johnson, of Henry Johnson And His Boys, is listed as playing cello, violin, and hurdy-gurdy.  To me, it sounds like he's mostly playing a one-string fiddle tuned pretty low.  Whatever that is on "Hawaiian Harmony Blues" and "Down Home Special", it sure ain't a hurdy-gurdy.

Offline CF

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2009, 11:57:03 AM »
Looks like test pressings of Ma Rainey's 'Slow Driving Moan' (4709-2) & 'Gone Daddy Blues' (4691-1) (from 1927) have been sold on Ebay. All the details & pics of the 78 available here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110403891439#ebayphotohosting

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2020, 08:29:42 AM »
Hi all,

I might wanna purchase this book.
Has anybody heard anything on a 5th edition coming up?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal