collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Says I love you woman, love your husband too. Have to love your husband to get to be wit you - Charley Jordan, Hunkie Tunk Blues

Author Topic: Tunes You're Listening To  (Read 28137 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Tunes You're Listening To
« Reply #150 on: September 26, 2012, 08:18:24 PM »
Listening to Virgil Anderson's Wild Bill Jones. Beautiful. Now if only I could figure it out.  :P

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #151 on: September 26, 2012, 08:23:37 PM »
Very nice indeed. Where's Lignite when you need him?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:24:43 PM by Rivers »

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #152 on: September 29, 2012, 04:01:13 AM »
Bear Creek Blues, Carter Family
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #153 on: September 29, 2012, 03:37:29 PM »
Kokomo Arnold, Junior Wells, Oscar Woods and Georgia White.
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #154 on: October 14, 2012, 06:06:28 PM »
I've just pressed the repeat button several times on John Dudley's version of Po' Boy Blues. It's a warhorse of a tune, though I usually like whatever version happens to be on. His take on it is really great, not because it's unusual or breaking away from the mold, but he just plays with such ease, flair and energy. He's been mentioned elsewhere on the forum as someone it's sad we don't have more recordings of, since what we do have is so tantalizingly good - the other song being the most Patton-like version of a song out there, Clarksdale Mill Blues. Was there something else I am missing?

Edited to add: Yes, missing Cool Drink of Water Blues. Also here's Po Boy Blues, courtesy Yo' Tube:

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:27:51 PM by uncle bud »

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2012, 07:53:28 AM »
"Sticks Over My Shoulder" LP on Mississippi Records
The best of George Mitchell's recorded country blues in GA including Jimmy Lee Williams, Cecil Barfield, John Lee Ziegler, Jim Bunkley, James Davis. Every track on this slab is amazing. I cannot believe Mitchell was lucky enough to find and record these brilliant artists who were all unique from one another. The drum and guitar of James Davis is spirited and wonderous. Cecil Barfield is a master of country blues, with the strangest strained voice and angular fingerpicking. John Lee Ziegler's upsidedown right handed guitar slide and soulful singing frequently ruins my day (in the best possible way). Jimmy Lee is hilarious and amazing.
"Blues Images Vol. 10"
I'm most excited by the Hi Henry Brown and especially the Blind Willie Davis tracks, one of which I'd never heard. Hearing those in better quality is startling. Dark Was The Night will always be the greatest American guitar and vocal piece ever cut. The Blind Blake cuts are good'uns. Everything else is cool, but not quite as fun as those.

Anything by James "Son" Thomas, is extremely sexy. Especially his dirty Catfish Blues.
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline Lwoodblues

• Living the Blues
« Reply #156 on: October 17, 2012, 04:00:58 PM »
  Henry Johnson  "The Union Country Flash".  w/ Peg Leg Sam on harp!!!!!!!! recorded 1972 recorded in Union, So. Carolina

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2013, 09:10:53 AM »
There's a really nice version of Candy Man that Rev. Gary Davis plays on 12-string on Disc 2 of At Home and Church. Just listened several times.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2013, 02:53:18 PM »
I'm listening to lots of Pokey LeFarge.  Magnificent musicianship, and great fun.

Its odd- I really enjoyed the gig I went to with Harvey some time ago (very very small venue- 25 people, dinner, sets between courses which were completely acoustic- bass, washboard, harp, rhythm guitar and lead).  For some reason I decided I probably wouldnt enjoy the cds and until a fortnight ago hadn;t got them.

Then I did... Fantastic!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2013, 08:55:36 AM »
Thanks Simon, enjoyed that a lot.

Offline papa john pio

« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2013, 04:16:52 AM »
Here's my play list today:
1.STRUT HIS STUFF ? Big Boy Henry 1987, 2.I NEED A LITTLE SUGAR IN MY BOWL ? Bessie Smith 1931, 3. BIG RAILROAD BLUES ? ?Cannon?s Jug Stompers? 1928, 4. LOUIS COLLINS ? Mississippi John Hurt 1928, 5. W.P.A. BLUES ? Casey Bill 1936, 6. POLICE DOG BLUES ? Blind Blake 1929, 7. HOODOO HOODOO ? Sonny Boy Williamson I? 1946, 8. LONG TALL MAMA ? Big Bill Broonzy 1932, 9. YOU DO IT ? ?Down Home Boys? 1929, 10. SPECIAL STREAM LINE ? Bukka White 1940, 11. ?TAIN?T  NOBODY BUSINESS IF I DO (part. II?) ? Frank Stokes 1929, 12. BABY PLEASE DON?T GO ? Big Joe Williams/Sonny Boy Williamson I?1941, 13. JELLY ROLL BLUES ? Furry Lewis 1927, 14. YOU CAN?T FIX IT BACK ? Roosevelt Sykes 1939, 15. I?M THROWIN? UP MY HANDS ? rev. Blind Gary Davis 1935, 16. TITANIC (GOD MOVES ON THE WATER) ? Blind Willie Johnson 1929, 17. THAT?S NO WAY FOR ME TO GET ALONG ? Robert Wilkins 1929, 18. PINETOP BLUES ? Pinetop Perkins 1928, 19. BROKE DOWN ENGINE ? Blind Willie McTell 1933, 20. TERRAPLANE BLUES ? Robert Johnson: vcl/gtr 1937, 21. GOIN? UP THE COUNTRY ? Barbecue Bob 1927, 22. SEMINOLE BLUES ? Tampa Red 1927, 23. CIGARETTE BLUES ? Bo Carter 1932, 24. CATFISH BLUES ? Robert Petway 1941, 25. DRUNKEN BARRELHOUSE BLUES ? Memphis Minnie 1935, 26. WHISKEY BLUES ? Lightin? Hopkins 1945, 27. MILK COW BLUES ? Kokomo Arnold 1934. 28. WALKIN? BLUES ? Son House 1930. 29.NEW ORLEANS STOP TIME ? Bumble Bee Slim/Memphis Minnie 1936. 30. HOWLIN? WOLF BLUES ? Funny Papa Smith 1930. 31.TIRED OF BEING MISTREATRED ? Clifford Gibson  1929.
Greetings from Bologna, Italy.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2013, 09:56:16 AM »
Robert Nighthawk - again!

Offline The Jazzbo Tommy Settler

« Reply #162 on: March 02, 2013, 02:47:53 PM »
Pinetop Smith, late Blind Boy Fuller, Ben Curry, Peanut The Kidnapper, Blind Arvella Grey and a few others. 
A few of my favourite tunes: Telephone Girl - Arville Reed, Rag Baby - Willie Baker, Big Bed Bug - Jazzbo Tommy Settler, How Long Blues - Jed Davenport, Toodle Doo - Alec Johnson, Am I Right Or Wrong - Son House, Don't The Moon Look Pretty - Seven Coloured Boys, Barbecue Bust - Blind Roosevelt Graves, Omie Wise - Grayson & Whitter.

Offline Indy_Mark

• Howdy!
« Reply #163 on: March 09, 2013, 03:21:15 PM »
today....I'm listening to Turner Foddrell

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2021, 06:22:40 AM »
Here's a dormant thread that I think bears reawakening.

I've been listening to a lot of Blind Boy Fuller since the start of the pandemic last year.  And a lot of that listening has been to a playlist that recreates Blues Classics LP BC 11, which was simply titled Blind Boy Fuller.  It's an LP that holds special significance for me, as it was one of the first (actually, I think, the second) record of pre-war country blues I ever heard.  And several of the songs on the record stand out, for both musical and sentimental reasons.  The one I'd like to talk about today is Fuller's version of Careless Love.

A bit of backstory:  I grew up in the 1950s and 60s in New York's Hudson Valley, about 10 miles as the crow flies from where Pete Seeger lived in Beacon, NY.  During that time, Pete would play regular concerts for children around the area, which my sisters and I would attend.  (I've often wondered why, when Seeger was blacklisted from performing for adults, it was considered fine for him to be singing for impressionable children, but I'm glad it was.  I loved those shows.)  One of the songs Pete would often sing was Careless Love, for which he'd pick up his 12-string.  For any of you who may not have heard his version, here it is.

It's a fine version.  I've always been fond of it.  And, just to make sure, what I'm about to say is in no way meant to disparage it.

One day in early 1968, just before or just after my 16th birthday, found a copy of the Blind Boy Fuller LP in the rotating LP collection of the one-roomed library in Fishkill Plains NY.  I brought it home, and when the needle dropped on side 2, I got a jolt.  I knew that the side started with Careless Love, and I knew Careless Love, but I didn't know THIS.  Fuller is playing in A, capoed up 2 frets (If I recall from my attempts to play this years ago).  It starts with a long, slow bend from C to C#, and goes on from there, seeming to me at the time to be a constant flow of bends and slides.  I'm a little more rational about hearing what's going on now, and MUCH more familiar with the genre that Fuller was working in, but at the time it kind of felt like I was Dorothy stepping out of her house right after it had landed in Oz.  The Careless Love I knew was pretty.  It was comfortable.  It fit into the world as I knew it.  And this was none of that.  53 years later Fuller's version of the song always dredges up that feeling.  And always makes me think fondly of Pete Seeger.  Here it is:

Thanks to Stephan Wirz for his amazing discographical work which has allowed me to recreate many of the blues records of my youth.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal