collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Don't want no woman who wears a number nine. I wake up in the morning, can't tell her shoes from mine - Charlie Campbell, Going Away Blues

Author Topic: Slackabilly's first gig  (Read 23199 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Slackabilly's first gig
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2008, 05:02:08 PM »
A big slap on the back there, and I echo (no puns intended) the comments of my colleagues above. Love a lot of the guitar stuff you're doing, have no idea what it is but would like to steal learn a few of those licks when I see you. I'll make a list.

Your singing has come a long way, I'm jealous.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2008, 07:05:34 PM »
learn a few of those licks when I see you. I'll make a list.

Lordy, that'll take about 5 minutes!   :P

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2008, 03:28:22 PM »
Hi John D.,
I've also enjoyed the Slackabilly tunes I've listened to--it sound like you're all having a lot of fun with vocals, groove, special effects and material all working well together.
I was listening to the JSP "Shake That Thing" set recently, and noticed that some of the Ralph Willis tracks almost sound like early rockabilly, and could definitely be done that way, sort of like Carl Perkins' "Matchbox".  I'l dig up some good candidates and pm you with them.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2008, 03:43:46 PM »
Thanks John - sometimes it works well together, other times not! hey, you're trying to suck me back into country blues aren't you?   ;)

Seriously, do send me your track picks -- I think I'll have to pick the JSP set up - I just listened to Ralph Willis, 30 sec clip of "I'm Gonna Rock" and it definitely sounds like rockabilly to me(not to insult Ralph Willis).  Do you know the date on the Willis tracks?

Cheers,

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2008, 04:53:02 PM »
I was listening to Professor Longhair in the car today and thought of you guys. Plenty of good material and ideas there. He messes with the time signatures for variation, good trick. Try 'Ball The Wall'. I have no idea what it means but it's a happenin' little number and I'm sure the piano player would love it.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2008, 07:10:39 PM »
John, thanks for pointing out that JSP 'Shake...' set, I was listening to some short cuts on the web and it sounds really really interesting. Seems JSP are on a roll at present.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2008, 05:00:40 PM »
Hi John D.,
I listened to all of the Ralph Willis tracks on "Shake That Thing" and the following seem like they might be good candidates for Slackabilly:
   * That Gal's No Good
   * Goin' To Chattanooga
   * Amen Blues
   * Tell Me Pretty Baby
   * I'm Gonna Rock (this one is already rockabilly)
   * Cool That Thing
   * Bed Tick Blues (good novelty number)
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2008, 05:26:07 PM »
Thanks John, I think I'll go buy the set!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2008, 09:08:49 PM »
If you'll indulge me one more time.  :D We've gone back and tried to get decent recordings for demo purposes - e.g. we need something to hand out in order to get gigs.  I need a few of those critical weenie ears - not so much for performance issues (we'll be working on those for awhile), but for recording/sound suggestions or arrangement suggestions.  We've got 3 decent (our opinion) cuts of various instrumental and vocal arrangements taken straight off the mixer using this digital recorder...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-MicroTrack-II-Portable-Digital-Recorder?sku=241715

...with the idea that we'll just start recording performances/practices and hope we capture some good performances (blind squirrel finding a nut premise).  We're not interested in recording individual tracks e.g. we want to do "live" recording only or "field" type recording as in the old tradition.  e.g. this is pretty much how we sound live, for better or worse. :) 

It's a pretty slick little recorder btw.  The original recordings are in two channels, but I put up mono versions to save download time and space.

http://www.slackabilly.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=15&Itemid=13

Thanks!

Offline Doug

Slackabilly Swag
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2008, 10:07:50 PM »
I haven't listened to the samples yet... I'm still stuck on the Slackabilly Swag page, struggling to decide whether I need the Slackabilly BBQ Apron, or the Slackabilly T-Shirt for my dog first...   :-\

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2008, 03:39:42 AM »
Slack, I've got one suggestion.  On Choo Choo Chi Boogie and Hey Bartender I'd bring the guitar up in the mix a bit.  Actually, even on One Hand Loose I'd goose it just a tiny bit.

Your vocals are sounding really good!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2008, 07:04:42 AM »
struggling to decide whether I need the Slackabilly BBQ Apron, or the Slackabilly T-Shirt for my dog first...   Undecided

Doug, I cannot help you - those are both such huge sellers.  :P

Thanks DJ, on another take I had the guitar up higher on Choo Choo, but thought it too loud, made things muddy so turned it down - but, being the guitar player, I like the direction of your suggestions.  ;)

Offline Doug

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2008, 08:05:33 AM »
Hi Slack,

I listened to the songs before I went to sleep last night (talk about strange dreams... O0), and I agree with dj's comments... 

First, it sounds really good.  I was impressed by the recording quality, and the sound of the band in general, and your singing in particular.

The drums seemed a bit too "forward" for my liking... especially on Choo Choo, but also on One Hand Loose.  That may just be my preference, but it was like the drums were on top, your singing was behind that, and then the other instruments were layered behind that.  (The spatial analogy may not be helpful, but I was hearing more drums than I wanted to, and less of the other stuff).  The piano on Choo Choo is really fun, and I'd like to hear it more.

But all in all, nice demos... they give people a flavor of what they can expect with Slackabilly, and the quality is high enough that the recording won't get in the way of their decision...

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2008, 09:01:17 AM »
Hi Slack

I too would like to hear a little more guitar on the first two tunes.

Your singing is very, very good on these takes! Congratulations!

Pan

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2008, 09:38:21 AM »
OOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!- Johnny Burnett
I have to agree with dj need to kick up the guitar a bit on On Choo Choo Ch' Boogie and Hey Bartender and drop down a bit on the drums. The vocals are waaaayyy cool and I really like One Hand Loose.

What type of echo/delay are you using live?

Looking forward to my Slackabilly swag.
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal