collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
...in a car wreck in a little town called Mound Bayou Miss. I was visiting my mother. I drove 700 miles from Chicago. I was okay but on the return I fell asleep at the wheel. I was playing again the next day though. I never gave up. It cut my arm clean off and left it in the highway. Then I walked 2.5 miles to a girlfriend and picked up my arm and brought it on to Clarksdale. When the ambulance men come with stretchers, I was in bed smoking, so I drove back in front with the guys. I was in hospital for three days only. For a while I still had pain at night. As you know, fever rises at night and that's how it was - Big John Wrencher on losing his arm

Author Topic: The Girl I Love...  (Read 26914 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: The Girl I Love...
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2008, 04:05:09 PM »
I, sam, am pretty much the buckle on the belt of the state.  Are you in New jersey Stuart?

Hi Sam:

Not any more. I grew up in Point Pleasant (Manasquan River Delta country), but I live out here in Washington State now. Back in the late sixties and early seventies I think that there were all of six people south of the Raritan River that had ever heard of Country Blues or Old Time Music--me being one of them. There are always surprises, though. I once got an invite to Tex Logan's birthday party (Tex lived in Madison and worked at Bell Labs, I believe). I won't even begin to name those in attendance--the  Who's Who of Bluegrass--so you can imagine.

Anyway, it's great to hear you and Frankie keeping hope alive in the Garden State. BTW, where's home for you people?

Offline CF

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2008, 06:50:50 PM »
Nice job . . . & thanks for the video, makes it so much easier for me to steal songs  >:D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 05:52:54 AM by cheapfeet »
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline samjessin

• Bluegrass and Old-Time Time
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2008, 12:33:18 PM »
I am actually north of the raritan river by about 300 yards (and 40 feet high for flood sakes) in a little section of bridgewater nestled between Manville and Somerville.

Hope is not dead in the Garden State!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2008, 04:17:05 AM »
Before:  Worry, worry, worry.
After:  Ain't worried no more.

If you can spare five minutes, I can pretty much guarantee you'll come out the other side smiling.

Offline samjessin

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2008, 06:53:57 AM »
I can back up that guarantee.

:)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2008, 07:08:31 AM »
Terrific!  Great energy!  So authentic sounding, it's scary!  Made me smile! ;D

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2008, 07:22:02 AM »
Lots o' fun, guys.  :D Where's the kazoo? Also, Kim needs one of these to fit in with all that metal:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2008, 10:17:35 AM »
Lots o' fun, guys.  :D Where's the kazoo?

I'm sure someone's playing one somewhere.  Maybe Kim could play kazoo in a rack with the fiddle!

Also, Kim needs one of these to fit in with all that metal:

Or one of these.

Scratch, scratch, honk, honk, whiiiiiiiine!

Offline samjessin

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2008, 11:43:11 AM »
THREE MUSICIANS STRIKEN DEAD ON STREET IN PRINCETON.
Local community relieved at loss of "rambunctious annoyance."

Princeton (AP) -  A local community is breathing a sigh of relief after lightning struck a group of street performers Sunday afternoon.  "There wasn't even a storm," said local resident Wally Wiggins, "I think God just was in the mood to smite something and they were in the right place at the right time, at least for Princeton residents."  Eyewitnesses report that they felt that the addition of a metal fiddle was a little too "Meddling" and the group was "just asking for it."
      "I mean, this isn't Memphis, this is an academic community," said Princeton Metaphysics professor Hubert Weinstein, "we like our music coming out of AM alarm clock radios, not squaky metal instruments."   Professor Weinstein went on to explain that he was unable to leave smallish apartment on Sundays between 11 and 1 because the group of musicians was such an annoyance.  Other buskers, including the local high school jazz ensemble and the Princeton Tiger String Band mummer group will be resuming their busking schedule now that the band has been silenced.  The group will likely not go down in history for anything of any significance.
       There have been no funeral arrangements, but a moment of silence has been scheduled in the burnt out crater where the group used to play on Sundays.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2008, 07:02:21 PM »
You're right, I ain't worried no more, thanks!

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
A big two thumbs up on your most recent offering. Well done!!

THREE MUSICIANS STRIKEN DEAD ON STREET IN PRINCETON. Local community relieved at loss of "rambunctious annoyance."

Actually, many of the PU faculty probably find y'all a welcome relief from what usually goes down in P town. Friends of mine who teach there often lament the local community's lack of character and/or soul.

A couple of years ago I stumbled across a book that I eventually got around to reading. (It's quite good.) It may seem a bit out of place, but it gives you an insight into a dimension that one usually doesn't associate with the faculty of an ivy league school. (Sorry if I ruffled your feathers again, Bill.)

Here's the link:

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/7929.html

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2008, 02:20:57 PM »
the addition of a metal fiddle was a little too "Meddling" and the group was "just asking for it."

snort, snort!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2008, 06:19:35 PM »
Kim and Frankie ask the musical question, "Baby, How Can It Be?"

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2008, 08:16:15 PM »
Terrific job, what a great song - tough to beat Bo Carter and lines like 'babe I'm doubtful in mind....."

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2008, 08:22:44 PM »
Just great! Almost enough to make me want to move back to NJ--almost...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal