collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Say you may be brown skinned, Woman, praise God, your hair long as my arm. Can't do the bed spring poker, you sure done lost your home - Will Batts, Country Woman

Author Topic: John Dudley  (Read 5218 times)

Offline alyoung

Re: John Dudley
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 05:13:28 AM »
A while ago I reported that truncated versions of John Dudley's recordings were available on the Cultural Equity site; it now appears the site has been updated and expanded so the full versions are there. Go to http://research.culturalequity.org/home-audio.jsp and use the search engine. (He sure could play.)

Al Y

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 08:18:16 AM »
Indeed, it is nice to have all of his recordings available for listening (if not for downloading, unfortunately). In my humble estimation, he certainly ranks high among those newly-discovered bluesmen of the period, and his relative obscurity continues to amaze me. As I noted earlier in this thread, I wish Alan Lomax had had the time and/or resources to interview John Dudley more fully ? and I wish, too, that someone could have followed up with this artist and recorded him more thoroughly. But, of course, we must be thankful for what was preserved for us.

Here, though, is something interesting: perhaps Mr. Lomax did indeed interview John Dudley with more depth than has been reported. Though we may never know the full story, the reel-to-reel box from the original recordings has survived and is pictured on the Cultural Equity website (see attachment). Though brief, the notes on Mr. Dudley are tantalizing:

"John Dudley comes from Tunica County, knew Robt. & Son House, Muddy Waters. Played for country dances..."

Interesting. One can assume that the "Robt." in question is one Mr. Johnson, given Alan Lomax's investigations into that artist. (And, in fact, Dudley's version of "Big Road Blues" ? which you can listen to on the Cultural Equity site ? includes a "who's been driving my Terraplane" lyric.)

-Jeff
Jeff

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 08:24:48 AM »
And the Cultural Equity folks are still digitizing and uploading stuff, so who knows, maybe some more notes about Dudley will surface.

(They keep adding footage to the AlanLomaxArchive channel on YouTube, for instance. Things that have never been available before.)

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 12:32:38 PM »
available for listening (if not for downloading, unfortunately).

I use freecorder for that

...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 10:09:14 PM »
I was able to download all of John Dudley's whole tracks off of cultural equity:
I'm Gonna Move To Kansas City
Big Road Blues
Clarksdale Mill Blues 2
You Got A Mean Disposition
Cool Drink of Water Blues (I)
Cool Drink of Water Blues II
Interview
i think thats all the unreleased tracks...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 11:53:58 AM by powerlinehorizon »
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal