collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Don't die until you're dead - Mississippi John Hurt

Author Topic: Your main guitar(s)?  (Read 57264 times)

chris nightbird

Re: Your main guitar(s)?
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2005, 10:36:03 PM »
Well, here goes...

I have 5 (so far) :
An Applause acoustic
A 1940's Electromuse (electric/acoustic)
A late 60's Ventura 12-string
A Talman electric/acoustic
and my ONLY true electric guitar, a Standard Telecaster

Offline eagle rockin daddy

• Oh Glory How Happy I Am
    • myspace site
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2005, 10:04:45 AM »
Been meaning to post about my guitars somewhere, I guess this is the place.  I feel like I am the luckiest guy in the world with my two guitars, but those Fraulini's really get me going.  My main guitar came into my life in 1973, when I was a freshman at college.  I always wanted a 000 for blues, and a few years before, I heard about a new old stock 1966 000-28 at a music store close by, so I got Andy Cohen and Rat to check it out with me.  the guitar was a dog which is why it never sold, but they had a 71 d-28 that was a killer, so as much as I wanted the 000, I got the D, which was OK.  I went to a show in Boston in 73, where one of the performers Todd Kabza was playing a 000 that he said was for sale.  It was a re topped 1959 000-28.  Todd said that a year or so earlier it had been re topped with German silver spruce(at that time I had no idea what that meant, and had herringbone trim added, and scalloped braces(i knew what those meant), so it was made to be a copy of a bone  Herb David in Ann Arbor did the work.  I loved the guitar, and the fact that it was a re topped Martin was like my guitar Hero David Bromberg's re topped martin archtop, so that was cool.  Price was OK, the same as the D, so I sold that to my best friend and bought the 000.  It is a great guitar.  It still had issues, needed a neck reset and a new bridge, and it is only recently that I finally got it set up right.  Pete Langdell at Rigel mandolins put a new fretboard, complete with gorgeous -42 style abalone inlay, reset the neck(that was a huge job, as Pete described the previous reset with words like 'epoxy' and 'dowel' ouch), and a new bridge.  the guitar is a joy, and I have a huge emotional attachment to it.  I have hitchhiked across the country with it, I was playing it when i met my wife, and i will never sell it.  It is going to one of my daughters with the stipulation that she never sell it.  The only time i ever thought of replacing it was about 1977 or so, when Eric Schoenberg at his Music Emporium in cambridge mass had one of the prototypes for Martin's M-36.  that was a great guitar, and I remember thinking that I could always trade the 000 for it, but I assumed that I would also have to throw in some cash, which I didn't have.  I now realize that if I brought the 000 in, Eric probably would have traded immediately!  Needless to say I am glad I kept the 000.  How many 35 year old Braz/German guitars are the out there?

The other guitar I got a few years ago for Bluegrass is a 1997 Collings D2-H, AAbrazilian/adirondack, which of course is an amazing instrument that sounds unbelievable when played with fingerpicks.  both instruments are wonderful, and I am grateful everytime I play them.  I string both with medium gauge John Pearse strings which work great.  Now all I need is a  Calton case for the 000........

Offline Lwoodblues

• Living the Blues
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2005, 09:26:35 PM »
a phillips tri-cone s.n. #4
a phillips parlor 1 cone #22
johnson wood 1 cone
???? 10-1/2 cone mando
ibenez dreadnought
2 stella 6-strings
stella 12 string (harmony)
some itallian classical
peavey strat copy
5 amps
sound system w/boards
more sound systems (3)
various other instruments
whew!

Dodson

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2005, 09:34:12 AM »
A 2003 Dodson? :P?

Since my last name is Dodson, I can't help but wonder what is the Dodson guitar of which you speak?

Oh, and my most bluesy guitar is a Blueridge BR-143.  I just acquired a Martin D-15.  Very sweet guitar, but it can't handle blues.  I've got a jones for a national someday in the distant future, but that's a long way away for this picker.

This is my first post here.  Wonderful site - absolutely love the radio station.

Joe

wicker

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2005, 03:24:19 PM »
IN 1983 I PURCHASED MY DREAM GUITAR-A FRANKLIN "PRAIRIE STATE"
IT WAS MADE BY NICK KUKICK AND SOLD THROUGH GUITAR'S FRIEND
OF SANDPOINT,IDAHO.I HAD NEVER SEEN OR HEARD ONE OF THESE GUITARS,
BUT WAS GOING ON GUT INSTINCT. I GOT THE ADDRESS FROM THE "WHOLE EARTH CATOLOG".AFTER PLACING MY ORDER AND SENDING A DEPOSIT , I WAS
INFORMED THAT THEY WERE OUT OF SPRUCE LOGS AND IT WOULD BE 5-6 MONTHS BEFORE THE GUITAR WAS FINISHED.I REMEMBER BEING QUITE ANXIOUS BECAUSE I HAD SENT THEM WHAT AMOUNTED TO 6 WEEKS WAGES AND THEY WERE LOCATED IN ANOTHER PART OF THE COUNTRY FROM ME.
ALL ENDED WELL AND I FINALLY GOT THE GUITAR. IT IS NOW ON IT'S THIRD SET OF FRETS AND HAS BEEN WITH ME ON GIGS THROUGH SMOKE-FILLED DIVES AND CHURCH ON SUNDAY MORNING.I LEARNED YEARS LATER THAT 2 OF MY FAVORITE GUITARISTS (STEPHAN GROSSMAN & JOHN RENBORN) ALSO PLAYED AND LOVED THEIR FRANKLINS.THE "LIFETIME WARRANTY" WAS PRETTY USELESS SINCE NEITHER "GUITARS FRIEND" OR "NICK KUKICK" SEEM TO EXIST ANYMORE, BUT I STILL WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANY OTHER GUITAR IN THE WORLD.

WICKER

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2005, 06:22:19 PM »
Hi Wicker,

A belated welcome to Weenie Campbell.  I thought I had heard Franklin was back in business. May be imagining things...

Offline Deadeye Don

• Howdy!
    • Don Fitzwater - Roots Music & More!
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2005, 08:07:50 PM »
Well, I may as well list my main boxes...

1975  Flamed Maple Dobro (a one-off made for the Dobro NAMM show booth that year)
2002  National Style-1 Tricone
2003  National Resophonic Estralita Deluxe Custom Koa
1999  Gibson Nick Lucas Special reissue
2004  Larivee DV-09E Dreadnaught with cutaway
2004  Larivee Rosewood Special Parlor Guitar
1973?  Bozo Podunvac "Western Bell" 12-String
1998  Taylor Leo Kottke Signature Model 12-String

I have lots of other instruments I've picked up along the way, but these are the main play 'em (almost) every day/week boxes.

These days, I perform mainly with the Estralita, the Larivee DV-09E and the LKSM 12-String - though I have just recently added the Nick Lucas to the on-stage collection.

I use those performance guitars plus the Style-1 Tricone and the Bozo 12-String in the recording studio.

I've been interested in modern Stella 12-String copies - one, the Leadbelly Jumbo type from Dell Arte and the others are a Leadbelly jumbo and a Barbeque Bob style models from a Wisconsin luthier whose name is escaping me now. I played both the Leadbelly and Barbeque Bob versions and have to say I really liked his Barbeque Bob model. Alas, I didn't purchase either of them and I haven't seen a new one pop up yet. However a local store has one of the Dell Arte Leadbelly models so one never knows... a Stella copy may get added to the collection soon.

Don
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Red Auerbach

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2005, 08:15:24 PM »
You may be thinking of Todd Cambio. He's a member here. His website is www.fraulini.com.

Offline Deadeye Don

• Howdy!
    • Don Fitzwater - Roots Music & More!
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2005, 08:22:39 PM »
You may be thinking of Todd Cambio. He's a member here. His website is www.fraulini.com.

Yup! That's the guy. I really liked his Barbeque Bob model 12-String which I played at Sprucetree Music when I was in Madison, WI  awhile back. I was very impressed with the instruments.

Thanks for the name!

Don
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Red Auerbach

arbarnhart

« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2005, 01:57:32 PM »
I have a 1977 Takamine. I forget the model number, but its' from what is often referred to as the "lawsuit series" because it is a pretty faithful Martin copy. The story is that Martin threatened a lawsuit, though I have read that both companies deny that and that Takamine discontinued their best selling acoustic line for purely business reasons. Uh huh...

I don't play it much these days; concentrating on the mandolin. But my daughter's guitar teacher quit bringing his guitar in favor of borrowing mine and a neighbor I play blues with often "forgets" his guitar and borrows mine instead. It plays and sounds great. I will likely never sell it.

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2005, 08:12:54 PM »
Takamine, eh?

When I moved to SF in '72 and started my internship, I had sold my guitar. Got very itchy fingers, so went out and bought a D-35 knock off at Mouse Music:
Brazilian Rosewood burl sides and 3-piece back with mahogany and rosewood, big dreadnought, with SADA on the headstock, and a "Yairi" engraved ont he fitting over the trussrod. Sada Yairi started Takamini, I was told later. Bought and took apart MAtins, and then copied them. A copy so good, of the old MArtins, that Martin certainly took notice!

Mine (SADA)   had the action improved, and I love it. HAd a neck reset on my MArtin Brazilian D-35, and , while it sounds true and has a full rich base, it doesn't play as easily and well up the fretboard as the SADA does.May yet sell the MArtin, but I won't sell the SADA. Plays too well. Sounds too good. IMHO  ;D
Buzz
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2005, 08:38:26 PM »
Another Weenie with a Sada Yairi? I got mine--a D-35 copy--in a guitar shop in the Causeway Bay section of Hong Kong island in December of 1978. It says S.Yairi on the headstock and has the date 1975 on the inside. Bought it new (paid about $125 U.S. + $35 for a HSC). It served me well during my five years in Taiwan and for another decade in Seattle. One of my daughter's friends has been using it for the past several years. I hear that all it gets are compliments on it's tone and playability. As I'm in NJ, I presently play a Ted Thompson Mahogany cutaway. A great guitar by a little known maker from Vernon, BC.

arbarnhart

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2005, 06:41:52 AM »
I can understand selling the Martin over the SADA, which sounds like a close relation to the Takamine given the history. I don't think mine is better than a Martin, but if I sold it I would get far less money than I would need to buy a truly comparable guitar. The replacement cost is far greater than the resale value (at least double, maybe even a factor of 4). With a Martin those numbers would be more in line with each other. It's funny, but the guitar I have played more lately is actually a cheapo Santa Rosa half size with nylon strings. It's one of my kids' guitars. Since I have been playing the mandolin so much, my dreadnaught seems obscenely large. But I have fun with a little "thumpa-thumpa" walking bass line blues on the little guitar.

-Andy

Offline Peghead Howell

• It's a great day to play!!!
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2005, 10:41:07 AM »
You are right Gordy,, this is fun!!!
I have evolved from my 65 Epiphone (caballero) purchased at 14 with paper route money.
My next was a 60's something Madiera big body (Guild spinoff) road guitar, because I found it alongside highway 101 on my way to work in 2001.  High action so it stays tuned in 'G' for slide tunes.
I bought a Yamaha acoustic electric in 2002 for tavern play and easy to move on.
mostly standard tuning.. always goes to P.T.
Next was my " Dean" Resonator in 2003,,, my far and away favorite which stay's in open 'D' almost always,,,, although heavy at 13 pounds, a great companion and hogs most of my practice time,, it usually has to go out to the shop with me because you can't play blues without emotion,,,,so I get a little loud in the house.It also has a fishman pickup in it which is rarely used.

Just picked up a 94 Metal Dobro L11,,now my Dean (stays in D) has to be second,, The "new"
Dobro,, is my fav (stays in G) much easier to finger and play,, what a "ring"!!!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 08:24:00 AM by Peghead Howell »
Just wait until next year!!!!

Offline kid reno

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2005, 07:16:10 PM »
Guitars are like children, you have to like them all.  The guitars I play the most are as follows:
1910 Mauer Auditorium
1930 Natioinal Style O
1928 National Tri Cone
1936 Martin OO18 H converted
1934 National Trojan
1936 Supro Electric
I sold all my guitars that were made after 1940........ I still have plenty...... J

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal