collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I learned when I was fifteen that a show, a live show, has to have an opening, a middle, and an ending. If you know that, your shows will sound like the highlights of an average show all the way through - Miles Davis

Author Topic: Recreation v. Creation or Interpretation  (Read 13808 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Recreation v. Creation or Interpretation
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2008, 10:52:01 AM »
This reminds me of something I heard, somewhere. A non-native French speaker was in France and having trouble making themselves understood. For some reason, probably out of frustration, one day they tried putting on the hammiest French accent they could muster, positively Python-esque parody of French pronunciation and verbal mannerisms. The story goes that this solved the problem, people understood them perfectly.

What I got from this was that maybe hamming it up can help you throw more of yourself into the material. Easier said than done, but probably an interesting exercise to exaggerate the vocal inflections just a little and try to get closer to 'the vernacular'.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2008, 01:40:06 PM »
What I got from this was that maybe hamming it up can help you throw more of yourself into the material. Easier said than done, but probably an interesting exercise to exaggerate the vocal inflections just a little and try to get closer to 'the vernacular'.

I think you have an excellent point.  That is what gives vocals their variety and what people love about vocals.  Depends on the style you are after of course, and tougher to do for country blues than say, rockabilly (free license to be a complete goofball), -- but confidently attempting/imitating even a few exaggerated vocal inflections you hear in say, a Son House or a Tommy Johnson, would go a long ways. 

Offline NevadaPic

« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2008, 05:29:47 PM »
That is what gives vocals their variety and what people love about vocals.  Depends on the style you are after of course,
My point too.  Our singing is not going to sound like our heroes no matter how hard we try.  But our singing will sound like us and that's all that counts.  My singing will never sound like the Reverend's but maybe the passion behind it will.  That's what makes it authenticate, the feeling ya put into it. 

Pic
If I don't meet you no more in this world, I'll meet you in the next one so don't be late...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal