collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now a short haired woman waiting for to carry your troubles on. Make you think through the daytime, trouble you all night long. She make you think you right, when you know darn well you wrong - Will Batts, Country Woman

Author Topic: bukka white/howlin wolf at newport  (Read 1072 times)

Offline lampens

bukka white/howlin wolf at newport
« on: October 16, 2011, 02:31:30 AM »

Does anybody have a clue as to what tuning he is using and what the name of the song is?

I can't figure it out. The low e is tuned to F#. it sounds ok for the most if the rest is tuned down to open g tuned about a half step down. The end tag then again, the way he fingers it on the g and high e string seems to work in that fingering only when tuned to a d minor flat tuning, which sound wrong for all the rest of the song. I tuned the strings all over the place and now I'm completely lost. What the hell is he doing?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 02:41:11 AM by lampens »
The blues. The blues ain't nothin'. The blues ain't nothin' but a cold, grey day. And all night long, it stays that way.

Duke Ellington

Online Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: bukka white/howlin wolf at newport
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 03:46:15 AM »
Fsharp/Csharp/Fsharp/Aflat/Csharp/Fsharp (or tune to open Dminor and capo at 3rd fret)?

Offline lampens

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 04:24:31 AM »
Hey that sounds about right. keeping the finger at the first fret g string makes it sound ok. the only trouble now is that when sliding i have to keep that open g string from ringing out.

Man, that poor guitar of his. :)

Thx I'm gonna try this.
The blues. The blues ain't nothin'. The blues ain't nothin' but a cold, grey day. And all night long, it stays that way.

Duke Ellington

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 06:50:11 AM »
the only trouble now is that when sliding i have to keep that open g string from ringing out.

Right at the end of the clip, there's a good shot of how Booker keeps his first finger on the third string to mute it when he's sliding.

Offline lampens

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 08:35:27 AM »
You're right, good eye.

Duke Ellington

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal