collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I've had the blues so long they done turned into the blacks - Yank Rachell

Author Topic: Van Eps/Vess Ossman  (Read 827 times)

Offline Oatmeal Jones

Van Eps/Vess Ossman
« on: November 22, 2011, 08:50:33 AM »
Is there any interest in trying to do a complete discography of Fred Van Eps and Vess Ossman - there's a ton of recordings, but I don't know that I've seen them all listed. There's a ton of discs and cylinders out there. I know he was on Edison and Victor. And I wonder how many of those discs are accounted for.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 08:53:07 AM by Oatmeal Jones »

Offline bnemerov

Re: Van Eps/Vess Ossman
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 09:21:24 AM »
I think the Brian Rust jazz discography lists the recordings of both Van Eps and Ossman. Ben awhile since I've looked (I don't have the 2 vol. set) but perhaps a Weenie who owns it can confirm.
best,
bruce

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 06:39:30 AM »
It seems that Van Eps and Ossman both did a large amount of recording. I was curious to see what they had, so I checked the Cylinder Preservation and Digitization Archive and found 33 Van Eps cylinders and 57 Ossman recordings. I'd imagine that they probably also made some disc recordings later on. It would be a big project to try to compile all their recordings but I'm sure some interesting things would turn up in the hunt.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 02:21:56 PM »
Well if of any interest, Mr Rust lists some five pages of Fred Van Eps  and seven pages of Ossman - now that's an almighty number of assorted bajo recordings, I'll bet old Bluehome is trying to order them right now!
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 09:46:35 AM »
Blueshome can also find Van Eps and Ossman recordings at the Internet Archive. Go to http://www.archive.org/details/audio and enter either name in the search box and numerous audio files transferred from cylinders and 78s are available, being public domain.

edited to correct URL
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 09:42:39 AM by Slack »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 10:44:17 AM »
Both artists recorded some titles for Victor.  You can find those recordings on the National Jukebox at http://www.loc.gov/jukebox.  Just search on Van Eps or on Ossman. 

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal