collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Mercer Ellington has stated that Juan Tizol conceived the melody to "Caravan" in 1936 as a result of his days studying music in Puerto Rico, where they couldn't afford much sheet music so the teacher would turn the music upside down after they had learned to play it right-side up. This "inversion" technique led to a modal sound throughout Tizol's work - wikipedia entry for "modal jazz"

Author Topic: Blues And Gospel Records 1890-1943 5th Edition  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Blues And Gospel Records 1890-1943 5th Edition
« on: December 09, 2020, 09:51:12 AM »
One of the contributors of "Blues And Gospel Records 1890-1943" (just found out he lives a 20 minute car drive away) told me they are working on a 5th edition.
"We are busy with it every day". But sadly it will take years before the final product is released. It's probably gonna be the definitive edition.

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
Re: Blues And Gospel Records 1890-1943 5th Edition
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 09:23:44 AM »
This is great news, thanks for sharing. I'm curious if they'll release it digitally as well. The ability to do a keyword search on such a vast and wonderful resource would be awesome.

Offline CF

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 01:03:05 PM »
Many great records have been discovered since the 1990s, a 5th edition will be interesting to see.
YES, a digital version that is searchable, that would be ideal.
Also the ability to see the contents chronologically or in other groupings, that would be so interesting.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 08:33:11 AM »
Since I pulled The New Paramount Book of Blues down off the shelf to see what it said about Ben Curry, I've been idly paging through it.  I found this piece of info that I'd totally forgotten at the end of Guido van Rijn's Foreword (p. viii):

"While Alex was writing The New Paramount Book of Blues, I was assisting Chris Smith and Howard Rye, the co-revisers, to prepare the fifth edition of Robert M. W. Dixon and John Goodrich's Blues & Gospel Records 1890-1943...".  This is dated July 2016.

So work has been "ongoing" for quite a few years already.  At some point, I wish the compilers would just issue what they have and hope that a 6th edition will be possible someday.  I'd really like to see the fifth edition appear in my lifetime.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 08:40:22 AM by dj »

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 04:24:11 PM »
Since I pulled The New Paramount Book of Blues down off the shelf to see what it said about Ben Curry, I've been idly paging through it.  I found this piece of info that I'd totally forgotten at the end of Guido van Rijn's Foreword (p. viii):

"While Alex was writing The New Paramount Book of Blues, I was assisting Chris Smith and Howard Rye, the co-revisers, to prepare the fifth edition of Robert M. W. Dixon and John Goodrich's Blues & Gospel Records 1890-1943...".  This is dated July 2016.

So work has been "ongoing" for quite a few years already.  At some point, I wish the compilers would just issue what they have and hope that a 6th edition will be possible someday.  I'd really like to see the fifth edition appear in my lifetime.

It was Guido that told me.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal