collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Rap is short, blues are Forever - bumper sticker

Author Topic: A Long Distance Call  (Read 1641 times)

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
Re: A Long Distance Call
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 07:47:37 AM »
Lankie? Fraura? Maybe not...

I never tire of listening to Laura do that song (although this time around I rather miss the washing machine...)

Love it. Let's hope this is the start of a beautiful transatlantic musical relationship.

Lol, Lankie and Fraura, how about, Ankiefra and Aurala ? Well sorry but I couldn't resist :)

Lovely singing Laura and you two sound good together.
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 09:50:10 AM »
not sure I totally "get" the name thing...  but thanks, all!

I dunno about this being the first online CB collaboration - Simon and Laura did a pretty nice Callicott number not long ago!

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10039.msg85043#msg85043

All good!

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 01:20:57 PM »
I'm sorry to be slow catching up on listening, but I sure like that "Spoonful".  Hearing you two play it makes me feel like that could have been one of two tunes played over the course of a night at a juke--easier to start than to stop!  Nice boom-chang guitar, too, Laura, sometimes that's just what the doctor ordered.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 03:00:24 PM »
Sorry to be so late to comment, but I'm with everyone else--great stuff, Laura and Frankie. Love the mix you two are getting.

So how are you doing it technically? You couldn't possibly be doing this by Skype, although I could see rehearsing that way. For recording, I presume you're exchanging files by Google Drive or Dropbox or the like, and using some fairly sophisticated recording software.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 06:57:48 PM »
Thanks, John - you really managed to nail the image that set me going on that song in the first place...  suggested it to Laura, who took off on it in her own way...  the main thing to me was the way the voices and fiddle all kind of chase one another in a call and response - something that's actually suggested very strongly by Jaydee's own singing. It was fun to see it come together and while the recording quality leaves something to be desired, the singing, playing and energy that came through on the recording are way more than what I could have expected from two people who have never actually "met." Crazy!

Kokomo - skype has been useful for some things - mainly talking through ideas or sharing a lick here and there, but for real time playing basically useless. Not the least of which because of the time zone differences and the usual demands of domesticity....  our schedules rarely sync up in a way that allows for any kind of playing...  failing that, discussing ideas, recording separately and using dropbox to share files has been much better for that.

I've been using Audacity for multitracking. Initially I used the onboard mics to record my tracks while Laura gave me a basic guitar/vocal take recorded with a Zoom. The onboard laptop mics pretty much single-handedly created the noisiness on the "Spoonful" recording.  On Going Away Blues, we both recorded separately using the best quality devices at out disposal, then I synced the files essentially manually (not as difficult as I thought it was going to be).

I'm sure there are easier ways to do this, but this seems to work and isn't too much of a technical burden.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 02:07:25 AM »
Request for some Minnie and Joe next...?

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 02:13:18 AM »
Request for some Minnie and Joe next...?

Seconded!
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 07:53:02 AM »
Frankie and Laura, I haven't paid much attention to recording and microphone technology for a long, long time, since before the internet, really. But it looks like you can get some pretty good mics for pretty good prices if you're lucky on eBay, and record directly onto Audacity. I know Zooms and other similar devices can do a great job, but I'm also told that adding an external mic, or a stereo mic, or a pair of mics in stereo configuration, can really kick the quality up a few notches. Not that you're sounding bad to begin with--in fact, it sounds real good.

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 03:30:19 AM »
not sure I totally "get" the name thing...  but thanks, all!

I dunno about this being the first online CB collaboration - Simon and Laura did a pretty nice Callicott number not long ago!

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10039.msg85043#msg85043

All good!

Yeah sorry about that but I was just couldn't resist taking the silly name bit further but , well at least I didn't start it. All a bit of fun and a lesson there, Aussie humour is quite different to other kinds. The song was great but.
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Offline Laura

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »
Thanks everyone for the kind comments!  It really is a lot of fun working out our separate parts and trying to get it all to somehow sound like music despite the obvious difficulties!

I think it's making us both look at different ways of recording and trying to get the best sound.  I figured out how to sync up the tracks in Imovie a few days ago which is much better for me, at least, to get an idea of what I need to improve on or if we are going wrong anywhere.  Audacity is still much better for syncing and getting the best sound and I have no idea how to use that so I just let Frankie get on with it.

Re: Memphis Minnie, I really haven't heard a lot of her stuff and have so much listening homework right now I can't see myself getting round to her anytime soon!  However... I think our current project is even better than Minnie!!

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal