collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I've been poor and I've been rich, and rich is better - Bessie Smith

Author Topic: Beyond The Impression  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Beyond The Impression
« on: December 20, 2009, 10:57:33 AM »
Just been looking for something else and stumbled upon this small snippet. It's from John Steiner's 'Beyond The Impression' column in Record Research 17 (March/April 1958, p. 7).

Jasper Taylor and Tampa Red dropped into our Chicago office for a batch of listening shortly after they had attended the Studs Terkel (local folk-artist impresario) benefit for Big Bill. Bill Broonzy has lately been released from several months in hospital where a good size hunk of lung was removed. He was in good enough shape to do a little humming back of Mahalia Jackson who headed the presentation including Pete Seegar [sic], Little Brother Montgomery, Sunnyland Slim and Odetta (new blues gal). Jasper and Red were swelled with pride at having been introduced from their seats in the audience.

Studs reported to me that the benefit made about 2000 dollars for Big Bill. Tapings are to be aired over local WFMT.

Red revealed that he was almost "legitimate" having spent most of his boyhood in Tampa, Florida - but actually he had been born in Georgia. He then clammed up as if my note-taking as he spoke was written with his blood. However later on he said that his hit on record was Vocalion's TIGHT LIKE THAT No.1, No.2 and No.3. The total? And as a parting shot, Red made known that he was available for a European tour if my contacts (?) were interested.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Beyond The Impression
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 11:43:11 AM »
Wonderful, thanks! :D
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal