collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If the blues was whiskey I'd stay drunk all the time - Leadbelly, DeKalb Blues

Author Topic: Kokomo Arnold  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Kokomo Arnold
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 03:49:52 AM »

[quote author=MTJ3 link=topic=10289.msg90882#msg90882 date=142199498

As someone mentioned, Sam Mitchell recorded a lovely (though much toned down) version of "Paddlin' Madeline Blues."  I have not heard Roger Hubbard's "Busy Bootin'" (for my money, some of Arnold's most accessible playing if one is interested in trying ones hand--pun intended, sorry), but would like to if it's available.  I can't think of anyone else who has recorded any of Arnold's songs or in his style.
[/quote]

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=1372.msg9978#msg9978

Offline Gilgamesh

• Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 09:20:05 AM »

I STILL am blown away by what J.B. Long said, that BBF's recording of "Step It Up & Go" sold over 500,000 copies and was a true cross-over. Not bad for a Black artist in 1940-41, I'd say! Orange County's Jamie Alston did not get the song from Fuller who lived close by in Durham, but picked it up from a White string band cover! Doc Watson got it from therecord, though.

pbl

No doubt it was a good seller, but half a million must have been a huge exaggeration.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 08:01:58 PM »
Gil -

Nope. J. B. Long was a solid and honest business man all his life and did not exaggerate - he was amazed, too! Long was also receiving royalties as co-composer on many Fuller records. And don't jump to the usual knee-jerk conclusions - he actually wrote or re-wrote many of BBF's tunes, and he came up with the idea for "Step..." as a similar piece to "Bottle Up & Go" that might be a hit. It was a major cross-over one and a remarkable sales figure for a Black artist in 1940. Read Bruce Bastin's excellent book RED RIVER BLUES, or CRYING FOR THE CAROLINES for discussion of this number. EVERY musician of a certain age that I met in the SE in the 70s knew that song... it was as impossible to avoid as "John Henry"!

pbl
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:08:20 PM by oddenda »

Offline roscoesmusic

• Howdy!
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 12:23:26 PM »
i read he might have been married to memphis minnie. she put 99 stitches up his yas yas yas

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 06:54:43 AM »
Al -

You left out Blind Boy Fuller as one denigrated by us White folks back in more recent times and who was a cross-over seller back in his day! He sold "too many" records and was therefor considered suspect by the collectors who valued the rare over the successful! A warped state of affairs that still haunts us,

Peter B.
Only an idiot would denigrate Blind Boy Fuller in my opinion. There is a lot of great stuff from very rare artists like Gene Campbell, King Solomon Hill etc. but Fuller recorded many songs I would call great. I still remember the first time I heard an album of his tunes and my thoughts at the time was....... Hallelujah how have I missed out on this guy for so long. In fact the first time I even heard the name was in the Ralph Macchio move, "Crossroads" ( a movie I loved with a passion btw ). He is one of my all time favourites.
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Tags: Kokomo Arnold 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal