collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The blues is the roots. Everything else is the fruits. - Willie Dixon

Author Topic: The Guitar Stylists--Spanish Tuning  (Read 1451 times)

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: The Guitar Stylists--Spanish Tuning
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2022, 03:19:16 PM »
I know what you mean about the ending, Chris--not that many of these songs end on a II7 chord!

Offline rein

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2022, 10:06:46 AM »
Tommy Johnson. he recorded only one song in spanish (but he recorded it twice) but maggie campbell featutred in the repertoires of many admirers. Or Willie Brown

Offline ZigZagWanderer

• Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2023, 12:44:02 PM »
I know what you mean about the ending, Chris--not that many of these songs end on a II7 chord!

Does anyone think this could have been a mistake?  Like maybe the red light came on unexpectedly and he just ended abruptly?  Although I don't have everything Skip recorded in the '60s, I don't think I have ever heard him end Special Rider this way in later years. 

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2023, 02:10:03 PM »
No, I'm sure it was intentional, both because all of his '30s recordings on guitar were set pieces, but also because the song doesn't go to that chord anywhere else, and if he was intending to start the form again and got the "end it" sign from the engineer/a&r person, he would have had no reason to be there at that time.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2023, 03:13:24 PM »
Also, he does absolutely end the version of Special Rider on Skip James Today! on that chord, he just plays it as an arpeggio.

Offline Steve W

• Howdy!
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2023, 08:22:13 PM »
I am always impressed by Bo Weavil Jackson's 'You can't keep no brown' - the slide guitar song on the Yazoo record Country Blues Bottleneck Guitar Classics 1926-1937.  My vinyl player is not currently working, so I don't know if he does other songs in Open G.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal