collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If you don't want me, rider, please don't dog me 'round, just like you found me, you sure can put me down - Ishmon Bracey, Left Alone Blues

Author Topic: Terry Robb House Concert in Oakland, CA  (Read 1424 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Terry Robb House Concert in Oakland, CA
« on: February 11, 2007, 09:04:19 PM »
I don't think I need to say anything on this board about what a great player Terry is. If you don't know him Google, and check his website. I'll be hosting a house concert this Friday, the 16th, starting around 7:30, at my home in Oakland. I'll play a warm-up set and then Terry will play a couple sets, probably getting me to join him for a few numbers. Should be good fun and a great show. Donation is $15, all for Terry. Please email me (bohowaxwing AT rcn DOT com) and I'll send you directions, etc.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Terry Robb House Concert in Oakland, CA
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 07:31:58 AM »
Hey Wax, would love to hear a report of the house concert, who played what and that kind of thing.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 12:30:05 PM »
Terry and I are just rousing after a realy fun night.

We had a nice house of about 15 or so. Terry actually wanted to open and he played a great set full of Blake (That'll Never Happen No More and his blazing version of Chump Man Blues), Bo Carter's The Law's Gonna Step On You (Yas Yas Yas) and a great Rev Davis medly starting with Hesitation Blues. He also played a few Fahey numbers and a couple/three/four of his own. I'm sure there were a few more I'm forgetting. I opened my set with some Fuller (on the Style O), starting with Meat Shakin' Woman (with Miller on cigarbox mando and kazoo) and then Screamin' and Cryin' and Walkin' My Troubles Away solo. Then I shfted to some Delta on the little Stella, Patton's Down the Dirt Road, T Johnson's Canned Heat, Miller joined me, on guitar, for Willie B's M & O Blues and then I did RJ's Kind hearted Woman followed by Scrapper's Back Door Blues. Next came a couple 12 string tunes, George Carter's Ghost Woman Blues and McTell's Broke Down Engine, and then I finished with WB's Future Blues.  Terry and Miller (on mando and kazoo again) joined me and Miller sang Stealin', I sang Elder Greene and Terry sang Alabama Bound. That was a hoot. Finally Terry finished the night with a few Furry Lewis slide tunes in Vastapol (Judge Bouchey(sp?) was one) on my Style O and then a beautiful slide instrumental.  Everyone expressed what a great night of blues it was. Can't wait to do another.

All for now.
john C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
BJ:

Wow, sounds like a great night. Wish I could have been there.

But you didn't do Mississippi Blues? :(

See ya soon,
Alex

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 02:34:32 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot, that was the first one we did with all three of us, before Miller sang Stealin'.

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal